should I rest or keep going 

can I pass it on 

its on my lower left back and has gone under my groin and burns like fire 

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Jo,

You didn't mention if you have any other medical conditions or diseases, how severe the pain is. Did you receive antivirals?

What painkillers(analgesics) did you receive and are they helping with the pain?

Are you sleeping through the night?

As Herpes Zoster-Shingles is a serious condition, I would take some days off and rest. I worked through my first episode, which was a huge mistake. As the area of the rash is covered by clothing, you are not considered contagious. I would not wear a bikini to the beach, however. Herpes Zoster-Shingles usually causes symptoms of headache, low-grade fever, chills and sweating, aches and pains, malaise, fatigue, etc. Fatigue often lingers for months, so I would rest when I can. Take the antivirals for the seven days, and use the analgesics when needed.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

I had exactly the same experience just 3 weeks ago, with the rash in exactly the same location.You should take time off immediately as you will experience chronic fatigue and continuing severe pain. I was a bit late with the anti virals but I have been taking painkillers (hydrocordone) which have been a great help. I was in excellent physical shape but this virus has almost floored me. I am hoping within the next 2 weeks I will be largely recovered, but right now I am still far from well. The location of the rash does not help as it is always under pressure when you sit or lie down.

• Posted

My joints feel very stif I hurt all over I've got headache most of the time but I think that's from the Aciclovir 5 times a day 

I'm on cocodamol 4 times a day 

the nurses feel like acid burns and I feel warn out already just on day 3 

but I will book the week off and take it from there 

thanks 

• Posted

Glad to hear you are staying home. You made the same comment as I did in my initial post when I said I felt as if acid had been poured over me.You need all the rest you can get but try and eat well and take vitamins to help your immune system. The pain and fatigue will fluctuate, I keep getting my spirits up on minor improvements only to relapse with more pain and extreme tiredness.The biggest help are the painkillers as they not only make the pain bearable but for me they help me to sleep longer.

Good luck, Roger Davies.

• Posted

Nurses lol = blisters * 

may  I ask your age I'm 53 yrs ? 

How  many days till the blisters go and the burning stops ? 

Sounds as if I better book lite duties when I go back to work because I'm a motorbike instructor which a heavy duty job on an 8 HR day or am I being a sissy lol ? 

• Posted

I'm 71. It's 3 weeks since the rash appeared and althought the blisters have gone the rash is still present and still painful so I'm still on my painkillers. You definitely need to take it easy when you return to work as fatigue will still be severe.However as another contributor commented every one is affected differently so the recovery process is very unpredictable.. Hope this helps.
    • Posted

I tend to push myself so I'm going to take your advice and take it easy even when I go back to work 

many thanks Roger 

• Posted

I'm 31 and it's been just over 4 weeks for me. Terrible! I would say to listen to your body, relax and rest.

I started to feel a bit better and stayed up an extra 3 hours to catch up on work last Thursday night.. Big mistake. Took me until yesterday to feel better again after flu-like symptoms came about along with bad anxiety (side effect of the virus). Those few hours cost me several days!

• Posted

Hi Romen 

im on day 3 and I've started itching all over my body as if I have chicken pox which I obviously haven't ( did that happen to you ) 

from what I've read I can't go back to work because sitting on a motorbike all day would cause me too much pain but I feel a fraud not going to work . 

I have fatigue and very sore joints so I'm taking naproxen 

but im pottering around the house and cooking etc because I'd go mad just sitting around all day plus I wouldn't sleep if I didn't do something in the day .

Everything  I've read suggests it's going to be months before I feel right and if I go back to work too soon then I would relapse but we're all different aren't we ? 

• Posted

Well, I seemed to get worse in the 2nd week when it came to fatigue. You have to listen to your body. While a few of us have issues and get flu-like symptoms if we push it too much, not everyone does. There's a chance that after a few good days rest you might bound right back and be mostly normal again! smile

My personal experience was that I was seemingly OK at first, but when I tried to push it, I got rather sick, and it takes ages to get back from that. While I dont have a definite answer, I feel as though doing that will over-all slow down complete healing.

• Posted

I'm on day 4 and I'm still breaking out in  blister patches 

I know we're all different but how  long do the blisters keep appearing till it stops roughly anyone ? 

• Posted

Jo,

The crops of vesicles-blisters take up to five days to stop appearing, and then another 15 days before you are no longer infectious. In reality, it takes one month from the time the vesicles-blisters appear to the time the last vesicles-blisters have dried up. You are no longer contagious at that point in time. At that point, also, if the pain lingers, you have post herpetic neuralgia. Hopefully, you were placed on an antiviral immediately, and an excellent analgesic, such as an opioid for pain.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Jo, Merry is right... For myself the blisters didn't really get time to do much after I took the anti virals meds, so in total about 3-4 days for me, lucky i guess! I have skin discolouration still though it is fading. Has just been over 1 month for me now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.