Should I take time off 

should I rest or keep going 

can I pass it on 

its on my lower left back and has gone under my groin and burns like fire 

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I guess you meant 13 June Jo! Yes I started just last Friday. The doctor was qyuick to diagnose shingles but have little advice other than take antivirul and painkillers. Nothing about what to expect. Nothing about what to do i.e. rest. She did print me an NHS info sheet but managed to cock up the last 2 pages out of 4.

Like others I steamed into a very active walking weekend which I managed OK but am now paying for with extreme fatigue, body aches, skin sensitivity and now a temperature of 46 deg C although it went down and I can't find out if that was the illness or the drugs. Packed an overnight bag and didn't use it in hospital as expected.

In the first day of searching for info I found more dubious UK and US sites leading from individual stories and ending abruptly with a treatment recomendation. What a scam. Next time I was a bit more successful but what struck me was how little the NHS know about alternative treatments. Viral drugs and painkillers is just about their bag. Other types must help.

I am only at the start of a very long road yet. My 2nd visit to my GP elicited the "Shame you missed the vaccine" comment.. Helpful.He went on to say "Oh yes, it is Shingles." Was there some doubt? I even thought that I had Meninggitus today with my fever. The fact that every patient's experience of this dreadful disease is no excuse for not being given sufficient support by the NHS.

• Posted

I can't fault my GP he rang me at home then told me to book into an empty room when I arrived at GPs  and he would look at me in between his appointments .

im on naproxen ( anti inflammatory) 

co codamol for pain 

and Aciclover shingles treatment 

calamine cream to ease the itching / burning ( not calomine lotion ) 

i tried an an hours walk today and I have to say I'm in agony with the nerve damage and became tired quickly 

I'm due back at work on Tuesday so let's see what happens ( I've asked for a desk job for the next 3 weeks .

good luck Mike 

• Posted

I'm 3 weeks into my torture session. I hesitate to say I'm feeling a liitle better as I'm up and down all the time. The rash has improved and I've been off the painkillers fo a week ,but it is still sensitive with some residual pain. One constant has been the chronic fatigue which is still with me.

I live in the Cayman Islands and travel to the UK on Monday for 3 weeks, so I really hope things will improve from here on. I have read a lot of "doom and gloom" posts about the prevalence of long term fatigue which I sincerely hope to avoid as I am a keen runner (even at 71) and am dying to get back in action.

I will update everyone in another week or so.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.