ian mckay

Posted , 14 users are following.

3 weeks since t k r surgery on left knee, Has any one felt the out side of the knee that has been operated on feels numb.Still wake up during night with terrible pain in knee

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am 8 weeks in for left tkr . I still have numbness on outside . I am sleeping better but that just started this week. I am taking tylenol pm at night
  • Posted

Hi Ian - 5 weeks since my left knee replacement - boy have l suffered and sleeping has been awful, but just starting to sleep a bit better now and the pain is less - so all l can say is persevere and it will get easier. I had the same numbness but that has almost gone now....Good LuckĀ 
  • Posted

GM, I am.6 weeks post op and one side of my knee is still very numb and hard to the touch. It has gotten a little better overtime but ai think eventually from what I hear, the feeling will come back.
  • Posted

Ian,

I am almost 3 month post TKR and still wake up with pain in my knee! However, I woke up this AM, and realized I had no pain during the nite!? I asked your question earlier on and was told by several that the pain was just part of the healing process!

Good luck!

Betsy

• Posted

Hi Ian, I was told that the numbness might go away or it might not, but that it'should normal. It has to do with how well the nerve endings are coming together after surgery. I'm still number at 3 months out, pain is practically non-existent. Hang in there!

Michelle

• Posted

This may last for some time. Lots of damage that has to get back to normal. You've had all kinds of soft tissue, nerve , bone damage done. You've had blood supplies cut off and reintroduced. Some things heal and go away....others seem to heal but come back. As has been said so many times....this is a process, a marathon not a sprint. You can set side beside with 6 others that had the same surgery the same week and find almost as many different experiences week to week. Keep taking meds on schedule and doing the prescribed therapy with icing and elevation plus stay very well hydrated and you will notice measurable week to week improvement.

• Posted

Hi. I'm 3.5 weeks post TKR, right knee. I was told the doctor cut my nerve so sometimes my thigh and area surrounding my knee feel numb. My PT person said to keep touching the skin with a cotton ball to desensitized the area. I don't see a cotton ball, I do use my fingers to message my leg frequently. The nerve pain is dissipating but knee is still very stiff and uncomfortable. It's a process, so I'm told.

• Posted

Three weeks post-op?

Numb feeling in the knee and leg?  Check.

Terrible Pain?  Check.

Can't sleep at night?  Check.

You can't get more normal after a TKR than this.  Hope some of my posts can help...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-experience-or-wish-i-had-another-kidney-stone--524499

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/trouble-sleeping-post-tkr--539591

• Posted

You are so right Chico..... It is a marathon......Im at 12 weeks.. ta da...walking..no meds... but. I ice every day... and have lost my confidence in most things.... as I'm scared to hurt my leg.... soooo working on that hurdle now.. Thanks to everyone here I know I will get my act together.... Red wine helps..... and olives...Stay happy.

Shaz

• Posted

There is no such thing as "scared".  We have all been through (or are in the middle of going through) an incredible assault on our bodies.  I have an artificial hip plus my back is fused L3 through S1.  With the TKR (almost 8 months p/o), I have about 4 1/2 pounds of titanium in me right now...docs are turning me into a Terminator.

Forget "scared".  Got fear?  Kick its a$$!!!!  Got doubt?  Kick its a$$ harder!!!!  We don't have time for those mind games.  Focus on wellness and strength.  Project your mind six months down the road when all of this will be in the past.  Walk in light, not in shadow.  Be good to yourself and heal...it takes time, energy and strength.  You can and will do it!

"Never give up.  Never surrender." - Tim Allen, Galaxy Quest

• Posted

Hi Ian,

3 weeks is not long enough for all of the swellingvto dissipate.

Consider a neoprene compression sleeve. Put it on before you swing your legs over the bed side in the morning.

Once on, you can sleep in it. I launder mine...do not put it into the dryer...having two is a good idea.

Not only do I have a tkr, I fractured the femur where the tkr was implanted, shattered really...yup, love the sleeve. Can bring my knee swelling down AND eliminate the pain. Because the sleeve is neoprene, it holds natural heat in which is therapeutic.

kind regards

judith

• Posted

Hi Sandra,

Not quite the same, the neoprene is thicker and is specifically designed for the knee cap to be free moving.

,Neoprene sleeve seats at the knee cap and extends a bit above the knee and a bit below the knee.

Teds do not address the knee cap.

kind regards

juditg

• Posted

no script needed unless you want your insurance to pay...Walmart is probably the most economical

hugs

judith

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.