IBS?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hey everyone my name is Robert I'm 30 years old. about 5 weeks ago I had bad body aches and my health anxiety kicked in and I also started to get mushy stools thought I was getting sick so went to doctor everything came out normal on my blood work. So some relief there then my bowel movements changed again to more of a constipation with terrible bloating for a few days with lots of uncomfortable gas stuck I guess . Dr prescribed my lactulose which gave me some much needed relief . I have not had too much bloating since then but my stools have been Much smaller. And a few days I have been going at least twice a day when I normally only go once .Also should be noted that my anxiety has been pretty high during all this. Went to dr he told me it seemed like IBS due to all my other symptoms coming from anxiety. Are these signs of IBS?

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I get the feeling you doubt your doctor? It pretty much sounds like IBS to me, however, like anything else, symptoms that are normally related to IBS can still be something else. I do question the length of time it took for your symptoms to be so pronounced. IBS is usually one of those slow simmering conditions. But I guess like you said, I supposed yourf anxiety could have caused a huge trigger. I think the only way to really be sure is to see a gastroenterologist.
    • Posted

Yea I guess that goes with my anxiety where I feel the need to question my dr even though he said my blood work came out fine and it was prob anxiety. This is the worst my anxiety has been
  • Posted

Hi,

Yes they could be signs of ibs and anxiety is a big factor in ibs.

I would also look into chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia as ibs can be a symptom of them. Don't worry if you do as you seek to have a mild case which means you will probably heal within two years.

You need to find ways to reduce your stress. Go for a walk outside everyday. The vitamin D will help as well. Try and get a good night's sleep. No electronics for an hour before bed. No caffeine after 5 pm.

Also try relaxation techniques. Crochet and knitting are good or ti chi, yoga, mindfulness etc.

Hope this helps

Sue

• Posted

Thanks for the kind words Sue. I do workout and that tends to relieve some stress and try to be out some . I have read about fibromyalgia and fatigue syndrome there are some people with really intense symptoms . My body aches have slowed down finally but they are still there
  • Posted

Hello Robert, I have recently been diagnosed with IBS, I also have panic and anxiety, I have a hiatus hernia also which can sometimes be a nightmare. I also get bad diarrhoea, sickness, abdominal pains, going to the toilet sometimes 5 times a day. I have been backwards and forwards to the doctors and hospital. I have been having loads of tests etc. Also I am seeing a dietician which really helps. I hope this helps and good luck. I also had before all these problems I had very bad gastroenteritis twice and a urine infection and ever since then, been poorly.

Best wishes

Stephanie Kyte

• Posted

Thanks Stephanie ! What kind of tests did they run for you ? I had really bad andominal pains for a few days, although I stuck have them on both and right side they come and go .
  • Posted

These symptoms sound like IBS.  Have you been given a definite diagnosis of IBS?  If you have, trust your doctor's opinion.

• Posted

My doctor just told me after going in after the second time and gave him all my symptoms and I was really concerned about my bowel problems . He said since my cbc and metabolic panel came out ok that he thinks I have IBS which happens with anxiety . Until my anxiety subsides that my bowel movements should get better.
    • Posted

That's great that your doctor has confirmed IBS.  Your bowel movements and pain should calm down now you have a diagnosis.  Once I got my IBS diagnosis, my health anxiety disappeared and my bowel habits and stomach pain improved.

• Posted

That's so awesome . They have slowly gotten better just waiting and hoping my stools get back to normal size although I still have anxiety symptoms ughhh

• Posted

I am naturally anxious and I can get stressed easily because of Asperger Syndrome.  At least the health anxiety is gone.When I am calm my stomach is better; a very small amount of stress sets of my pain.  I can usually avoid my known stress triggers; it is the unexpected ones that are harder to control.  Buscopan and Nurofen help the pain if I get a flare up.
    • Posted

Yea I'm more of a health anxiety person and someone that just gets anxiety every once in awhile but when my health anxiety grabs a hold of me it really takes me . IBS is new to me in how it has lasted this long

• Posted

I've also worked with students on autism spectrum I work in special education

• Posted

I got diagnosed with Aspergers late at the age of 40.  I struggled at school but I got a lot of help and I finally got a modern language degree at University. However, I was unable to pass job interviews so I decided to concentrated on my poetry and self published a book and did a poetry video.  This does wonders for my confidence, calmness and controls my IBS.
  • Posted

I would suggest some barium tests to confirm the IBS. Some diseases resemble IBS. If IBS is confirmed you may consider adding unprocessed bran to your diet. Anxiety will make the symptoms worse.
    • Posted

Does the gastroenterologist do that test ? Assuming I have to get a referral too?
    • Posted

The fact that you blood tests are normal is encouraging.

Assuming you live in the UK, there are a number of tests that could be undertaken.

For a barium test, you will need a referral. The test will be conducted by radiologists, and the results interpreted by a consultant.

Another test involves using a endoscope, inserted via the back passage to investigate the rectum and parts of the bowel.. This test will likely be conducted by a doctor.

• Posted

Thank you for the input . I'm from the US. As far as I know we have to go to our general doctor first and usually after multiple visits or something really obvious to meet with a gastroenterologist

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.