IBS?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hey everyone my name is Robert I'm 30 years old. about 5 weeks ago I had bad body aches and my health anxiety kicked in and I also started to get mushy stools thought I was getting sick so went to doctor everything came out normal on my blood work. So some relief there then my bowel movements changed again to more of a constipation with terrible bloating for a few days with lots of uncomfortable gas stuck I guess . Dr prescribed my lactulose which gave me some much needed relief . I have not had too much bloating since then but my stools have been Much smaller. And a few days I have been going at least twice a day when I normally only go once .Also should be noted that my anxiety has been pretty high during all this. Went to dr he told me it seemed like IBS due to all my other symptoms coming from anxiety. Are these signs of IBS?

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Yes Robert. I have the same symptoms for years now. Sometimes my ibs goes into remission and then all of the sudden symptoms are flaring up. Try to manage your anxiety levels. Drink plenty of water and peppermint tea.
    • Posted

Thank you for the insight it's been pretty terrible it has only made my anxiety worse . What are your symptoms that you usually get ?

• Posted

You sound anxious regards your IBS, 

You have seen your GP and you have gone through several treatments. Give the bowel a chance to recover  and it should eventually sort out.

Going once or twice is normal if this is what the bowel is used to. Give time and if you are not happy talk to your GP

BOB

• Posted

It may have something to do with neurotransmitters production. Those with anxiety may be low on neurotransmitters like serotonin, and the gut has receptors that are also reactive to serotonin levels.

It's also believed that IBS may be related to the levels of "good bacteria" compared to "bad bacteria," and there may be some component of those living with anxiety that allows bad bacteria to flourish. Some even believe that IBS may be more common in those that have undergone antibiotics, possibly because anxiety prevents the good bacteria from regaining its strength after an antibiotic treatment.

It may also have something to do with muscle tension as it relates to anxiety and stress. During periods of intense stress, your body may be creating pressure on the muscles that cause your intestinal tract to move slower or faster than it would in someone without anxiety.

I found this on the web, so i copied and pasted it, it's very interesting. I have this same problem and the only thing that helped me was getting on a good probiotic, so try going to whole foods and get a refrigorated probiotic. I'm telling you it helped immensely. And give it 2 weeks to kick in.

• Posted

You're right!  These factors are very significant in IBS.

• Posted

Thanks bud !! So I went to the Gastro doc today on my own for a consult . Told him my situation. He didn't really give me any answers but took blood for cileac disease and another blood for my thyroid and listened to my stomach and all that .He also prescribed me antibiotics mentioning the bacteria . He said if antibiotics don't improve my situation for me to go back in a couple of weeks and discuss other options . I will say that my stools are sporadic! These past couple of days I have had bigger stools and more rounded so I got excited but today was back to small stools !

• Posted

cool, if you aren't on a probiotic.. you should be especially when taking antibiotics ... Hopefully you'll figure it out, all my tests came back negative. I feel like for the most part i don't have anxiety or stress about anything but almost coming onto a year and im still having digestive problems and other physical symptoms of anxiety/stress. When i get off my probiotic i have diahrea 4 times in a day. With the probiotic it's all managable 

• Posted

Make sure the probiotic is a good quality one and has at least 15 billion or more variety of bacteria, or it will not work the same. 
    • Posted

Do you know of a good probiotic you would recommend ?
  • Posted

Update

It's been a little over a week since I've seen the Gastro doc which he prescribed my antibiotics said maybeeee IBS but only took blood for celiac and thyroid which both came out ok . Right after I saw the doc I had as close to normal bowels for almost a week just a little smaller than usual but much better consistency and size so Ive held back on taking antibiotic. Then I got a tiny bowel movement almost like constiaption then followed by a really mushy loose bowel movement. It seems to be the pattern of late: decent bowel movements for a few days , 1 small bowel movement, 1 really mushy bowel movement.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.