IBS and a lost appetite.

Posted , 38 users are following.

Basically my IBS only started a few months ago. And it started with my appetite disappearing completely and a LOT of mucus, both when passing the stool and on its own. Then the diarrhea, cramps, bad wind and everything else started. 4-ish months later my flare-ups come and go, but on a normal day I still go to the toilet about 4 times a day. I know that this is a lot better than most people and I’m lucky as my Mebeverine controls the cramps quite well most of the time. But the thing is, I still don’t have a proper appetite. Is this normally a symptom of IBS? I cant really find any answers anywhere. My doctor thinks it might be a psychological thing (?) where I associate large amounts of food with pain but I honestly do not agree.

I’m eating like once a day, and going to the toilet 4 times, how does that even work!? Until yesterday I went nearly 48 hours without eating and I didn’t even realise. I know that it sounds stupid, but literally no food appeals to me, I go to the shop, walk around and leave because there’s nothing I want to eat. I try to eat fruit and veg and yogurt when I can but the only thing I have actually WANTED to eat in weeks is crisps and tuna. So I was just wondering if anyone else has had the same strange loss in appetite. Or if anyone has any help they could offer?

My doctor said she might send me to a dietician, but I feel like my friends and family almost think I’m exaggerating things and I’m a bit worried if I go to a dietician then they’ll just think I am playing on things. So I want to try other things before I go back to the doctors.

Thanks for reading at least !

4 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I'm so glad somebody is going through this too! I've spent about a year and a half now with no appetite, nothing ever appeals to me. I have some days where I will really enjoy a meal and finish the plate off, but generally I have to force myself to eat and will end up gagging as not one part of me wants to put it in my mouth! Has anyone got an answer to this problem yet?! It's driving me mad!
    • Posted

Hi Sophie

Just seen your message to kb10.  I also dont have an answer to this problem.  I feel full as if I have eaten a 4 course meal and just cant eat without it causing more abdo. pain.  Lost a stone over a couple of months.  Doctor put me on fortisips to help me get some nutrients.  This is not long term and he has booked an appointment with a dietician.  Its all very well but I cant eat anything not even soups, ice cream or custard when I am like this.  I am on mebeverine to help the spasms but it didnt stop the full feeling.  I also take morphine when the pain is unbearable.  Like you its driving me crazy.  Cant go out for a meal etc.  Made Christmas dinner for all the family and I sat with a strawberry fortisip.  Dont have any answer for you but now I know I am not alone with this problem.  Wish I could have been more helpful.

• Posted

Hi Carolyn,

I know the feeling! It really isn't very nice, and there's only so many times you can talk about it without people giving you that kind of look or making a comment which means 'aren't you exaggerating?'. It's annoying because you're sort of left in limbo without knowing what it is that causes it! I think I'm a step closer though, I've worked out mine seems to come and go in phases, and it's usually at it's worst around my period. I think it's possible endometriosis on the bowel as it's the only thing I've seen which ticks all the boxes for me. I've got the doctors on Monday so we will see what they say!

I hope you find an answer soon, keep pressuring your doctor!

• Posted

I am the same last 6 weeks Contipation feeling full' not hungry my poo like pellets take lactose ' 30 mls helps .

I think it's gas trapping gives you bloating and full feeling' extended tummy then you get Anxious so on.

it's a horrible thing' I eat porridge then a few hours eat boiled egg' then I have a vodka good one this makes me hungry then have a medium dinner veg patoto chicken

• Posted

Omg! I have the exact same problem! I was told I had ibs but didn't really believe it cos I don't really get any pain the only problem I have is bad bloating problems going to the toilet one minute can be constipated and feels like I haven't fully been able to go to the toilet if u know what I mean! From having really loose bowel moment but the worse thing I have noticed is the loss of appetite I hardly eat a thing and there's never any food I want or fancy to eat all I've been thinking for months is that there's something else wrong with me like I'm dyeing or something I know that sounds frantic but my mum had bowel cancer really young and later on she had stomach cancer and loaded away so I'm always really anxiou about it. So finding your post has made me feel so much more at ease so thank you!

• Posted

Hi Stephanie, if u don't mind me asking..did ur appetite ever return? Any proper diagnosis. I feel as u that I must be doing but doctor's can't find cancer, yet based on their CT findings of different parts of my body and a colonoscopy. Haven't been hungry going on a year. My body just knows it's time to eat after like 12 hours I start getting very jittery.

Take care. ShaLom

• Posted

Sorry. Typos.

I was trying to pose the question asking whether or not you got a proper diagnosis . Also, I meant to say that I felt as you as if I must be " dying" not "doing".

• Posted

I have had something like this since November, Just continuous feeling or never empty bladder or bowel and diareeah and urge to pee constantly only at school
  • Posted

Hi I am 38 and some time ago when working all day long for at least 12 hours I was realising I had no eaten my lunch, even though no appetite.

This was happening all the time and in fact some time ago my former boss told me one Friday morning that do a rest just eat wen ur hungry. That is what I did, and on the Monday morning he asked me wen did you eat in the end and I told him , I haven't eaten yet. In fact I force fed myself that evening.

I still don't have an regular appetite at all after 5 years. It's more I get impatient wen I know I shed be eating and a little angry.

I have tried lots of things cause I keep gaining weight. At moment I am taking cider vinegar tables 2 x 3 a day, not really doing anything to be honest.

It is a relief to know that other people are experiencing the loss of appetite, hope we can all help one another like a Band of Brothers and Sisters .

Thanks for reading

Brian

• Posted

Hi. . thank you for your post .I haven't had an appetite in over 3 months, I force myself to eat.. not sure if your male or female but I take birth control pills and that might have something to do with it as I read that there's certain side effects ..

I've also contracted the herpes virus within the past 12 months and have neuralgia pretty bad suffering with a lot of dental infections even though a lot of money has been put out to fix my teeth , i can't figure out what's going on. I ate food around 7 in the morning and here it is almost 3 in the afternoon and I feel like the food wants to. come back up my throat...hope u r feeling better

• Posted

So I'm a little late to the party but thought I'd share my predicament.

I have long suffered with digestive problems, visited the doctors many times only to be told I have IBS.

I have suffered with feelings of sickness, di

• Posted

Hi....I have had IBS for 30 years and I am 47.....the last few months I have not been able too eat hardly at all.....I have been losing weight fast ....anyone have any ideas or this happen? ? DR'S APPT in a few days ...help

• Posted

inthe evening have a vodka it helps you relax and feel hungry' I have a vodka orange large it relaxes me and I eat a medium meal porridge in the morning.

the cause is gas contipation things movi g slowly ' then crap pellets pebbles laculose helps' at the moment" drink water' some excercise helps to.

it's a horrible I know but we do the best' we can feeling full is the gas in us' we can bloat daily or it can come and go.

• Posted

i know you posted this 5 years ago but did you go to the Dr to see what it was?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.