IBS and achey pain in kidney area (upper back)?

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi All! Hoping you can shed some light for me on IBS symptoms vs. not IBS. Had an IBS-D flare up that started about 2 weeks ago, but seems to have evolved into different symptoms. My pain throughout this flare up has mostly been under my ribs on left side (like a protrusion or a stitch) and up into my upper left back (like a gnawing deep strain type feeling). The pain moves and changes down through my abdomen to just above my left hip and does seem to provide some (though not a lot of) relief after a BM. Abdominal cramping accompanies this, as well. Throughout this process, I have had dull kidney (upper back) and flank pain (like a sore, bruised, tender to the touch feeling-mostly left, some right) that comes and goes. I literally had no symptoms at all yesterday and then it  randomly decided to return this morning upon waking. Interestingly enough, my BMs were firming up today. As a side note, I have also been having trace blood in my urine and urinary frequency (x 1 yr), which I understand is normal with IBS. My bloodwork has been normal, nothing in urine (other than trace blood), physical exam normal (including when physician thumps you on the back where kidneys are), had a CT scan November 2016 (negative) and I had gall bladder removal 11 years ago. Doc ordered another Abdominal/Pelvic CT which I am waiting to hear back for scheduling. My question is...are there any of you IBS sufferers out there that have IBS pains that were mistaken for kidney issues? Do you have the kidney area pain I described above? When I looked up kidney issues, it stated that most of the time the pain is severe and intense and accompanied by fevers and such. This pain is somewhat uncomfortable, but I would say 3/10 on the pain scale- not severe at all and no fevers. My mind is racing with negative thoughts and I'm hoping nothing more is going on. Can someone shed some light on these symptoms?

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi charcey how are you doing now? my doctors take no chances with my kidneys and any urinary infections as they put me in hospital, unless the trace blood is from periods you should be rechecked, ibs type symptoms don"t normally stay for that length of time. it could be something more physical and you could have strained muscles etc. rule everything else out THEN start asking more questions and putting more pressure on.....

• Posted

Hey all, I've made an account to reply to this thread. I am 16 yo, have been diagnosed with IBS & a Stomach Ulcer around 12. Been having severe symptoms for the past 2 months, it started with a persistent cough which lasted a month, then I developed mouth ulcers and episodic fevers. I was sent to A&E after chills and a widespread rash, my liver function was far worse than expected and I had trace blood in urine. I was put on 2 antibiotics to help with the cough, but following the mouth ulcers, they suspected an allergic reaction so my prescription was removed. I had stabbing inner ear pains, migraines, migraine auras and extreme tiredness for a few weeks, but my liver function was returning to normal. For the past 2 weeks, my liver function is close to normal, but I have consistent high blood pressure, nearly visible blood in urine, sharp chest pain radiating into my arms, dull and occasionally sharp pains around my sides below my ribs, while still having migraines and stabbing ear pains. The cough has subsided but stuck around throughout. My ultrasound is coming up in a few days, is it possible that these are still IBS or kidney stone symptoms? Thank you so much in advance.

• Posted

Ah also, a urinalysis has been conducted several times, I don't show any signs of infection or diabetes, but my blood count is consistently darker than the reported highest level on the can. My pee is darker and I believe my blood has been slowly increasing over time since the last doctor appointment. Everything has been put on hold for more than a week due to holidays, so I have been trying to cope with the pain at home in the meantime. I am not sure if I should seek help before my ultrasound.

• Edited

update- this all went away after a few months . Seemed to be an IBS flare up. Flare ups come and go and the characteristics seem to change. Currently have more digestive stuff that popped up

sometime around the holidays that ill be posting a new thread about. Hope everyone here is finding answers.

• Posted

hi charcey, this isn't ibs, well not all of the symptoms! you have a kidney infection i think, blood in your wee is sure signs of an infection! not nice, poor you. only antibiotics will shift this. just see your doctor, as soon as possible and take this message if you can't remember what to say. good luck, i hope they sort it for you!☝️☝️

• Posted

Summary: My thoughts as a sufferer not a docter: check into food allergies, avoid NSAIDS like the plague, take magnesium based antacids not calcium based, avoid Vit C and Calcium supplements.

Long version:

Last year I had a period of 2 months with blood in the urine - looked brownish red - and eventually (after ultrasounds and xrays were inconclusive) I had an MRI and was diagnosed with 3 kidney stones, one of which was stuck and required a lithotripsy procedure followed by a temporary stent. Push for an MRI!

I have calcium oxalate crystals in my urine and in my kidneys which means I am very prone to forming more stones. My recent reading on the web tells me that people with IBSD are prone to kidney stones. One reason is dehydration due to the recurrent diarrhea. My kidney stone pain often presents in my back, high under my ribs. I can distinguish it from gas pain because it is not constant but comes in waves of about 30 secs and does not respond to antacids. The pain will often shift to the side of my waist and then to my bladder area as the stone moves down. My kidney stone events are usually is over in about 12 hours, unless it is too big and gets stuck.

I have been recently diagnosed with IBSD and gastritis. I was negative (Upper/Lower GI) for ulcerative colitis or stomach ulcers but positive for widespread inflammation and gastritis. Unfortunately, NSAIDS can cause stomach /gastric pain symptoms and probably contributed to my gastritis as I was taking a prescription strength NSAID for arthritis pain. Also, gas pains can be as severe as the gastric pains, and for me the gas pain is often under the ribs, even as high as under the shoulders, and my gastric pain can be anywhere from high to low abdomen.

So for me the treatment involves using Acetaminophen for kidney stone or any other pain, increasing my water intake, avoiding high levels of sugar and salt, not taking calcium or vitamin c supplements (both can cause kidney stones - both happened to me in the past) and avoiding acid pills with calcium. I use the magnesium based ones, such as Gaviscon.

I would also pursue a test for allergies. I discovered I had an unusually high level of histamines and multiple food "sensitivities." So some of my IBSD is food triggered as well as stress.

I am also struggling with extreme fatigue. 8 hrs at night plus a 2 hour nap!! But I am retired, thank goodness.

Finally, my gastro doc prescribed an anti-depressant, a 30 day treatment with Omeprazole (Prilosec), and Bentyl. I find the Bentyl really helps reduce the painful cramping and gives me more time to get to the loo! You can't take Prilosec for unlimited periods of time because it has other bad side affects, so I try to use Gaviscon primarily.

I do try to practice stress relaxation, and that helps, but anti-depressants can be useful. Talk to your Internist or gastro doc they can prescribe them. I don't know if any of this is useful to anybody. I hope so.

• Posted

Hi there, I'm going through similar problems here.

I have had gallbladder removal 2021. then an endoscopy January 2022 followed by a Ct scan and ultrasound. I've been diagnosed with having IBS and a hiatus hernia. i also have a small kidney stone on rhe left side(the only thing the CT scan picked up) after being referred to consultant. Xmas 2022 I had a stomach bug and since them I have not been right. I have had stomach problems. I'm on omeprazole which I'm trying to wean myself off. I'm also on mebeverine for ibs (which helps with front stomach pain) so since Xmas 2022 I have had niggling pains in my mid right back and stomach pain hence why I'm taking mebeverine. since beginning of May of this year (2023) I've had upper right chest pain that goes in to my upper right back. I thought I had pulled a muscle but after two rounds with a chiropractor I established myself that it seems to be digestive related. these last couple of weeks I've had mid right back pain also which is quite severe which had been calm for a while and then suddenly decides to return. Ive been drinking lots of water and sitting with hot water bottles. I may have to go back to GP again but feel like a hypochondriac. it's absolutely exhausting. I'm worried this is how it's going to be.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.