IBS and Gallbladder Removal

Posted , 7 users are following.

I suffer with IBS and am wondering if I would be better after having my

gallbladder out.

Has anyone had the surgery who suffers from IBS ? Is the IBS the same /worse after surgery ?

I'm on a very restricted diet and would hope to eat better after surgery .

Any experiences please ?

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, Linda,

Sorry you have IBS.  From what you wrote, I think you've been diagnosed with IBS-D, correct?  

IBS-D is basically a catch-all diagnosis which doesn't really identify the process that leads to darrhea. Could you tell me more about your symptoms?  

• Posted

Hi, I'm more IBS C but if I eat anything fatty I get terrible

stomach cramps and awful diarrhoea.

I eat low fat all the time. I've become scared of food because

of the episodes of pain and rushing to the loo up to 6 times,

one after the other. I've been like this for years .I was hoping

gallbladder surgery might help but it seems not.

• Posted

I see.  I'm so sorry.  Sometimes gallbladder surgery does help, especially if your gallbladder is erratic about storing and releasing bile.  But that's probably not the case with you.  

I can't eat whatever I want, either, though I'm on medication for bile salt malabsorption.  After you've been sick to death because you've had pizza or something else that "looked good" I can understand fear of food. xx

• Posted

I have IBS and I had my gallbladder out (it was not functioning) and my IBS is the same. For the first couple of months after surgery it was worse because it takes time for your body to adjust to digesting fats without a gallbladder, but once things settled down the IBS is the same as before. 

• Posted

Sorry to learn this.  Do you have bile acid malobsorption?
    • Posted

No not at all! I can eat all the fat I want haha. I actually have no lasting side effects from surgery and I feel MUCH better. But I've had IBS almost my whole life and there was no change in it after surgery. However, I made a few small diet changes about 3 years ago and that has made it very managable. 

• Posted

Hi from  a lot of time on health forums, having the gallbladder removed may or may not make it worse, better or the same. It totally depends why you have IBS in the first place as if it isnt the gallbladder causing it, removing it wont fix it. 

My mum had IBS symptoms before and still does after, my son and daughter have IBS symptoms and dont have gallbladder issues.

I know several who have developed IBS symptoms after and didnt have it before and some who have cured it. There is no way of knowing.

• Posted

Hi Star

I have had IBS for many years but no gallbladder symptoms.

It's only recently that the gallbladder has been giving me pain,

with one episode of bile sickness and diarrhoea.

I would hope it would not get any worse!

• Posted

I had ibs and nausea for some months and was sent for ultrasound.  Found gallstones, i had no pain.  Dr said best get rid so had op which went uneventfully.  Now over a year later i have constand nausea every morning, getting worse, and the ibs has not been cured.  I thought the op would make me better but in fact it has made things worse.  Now face all sorts of tests to see what is wrong, why am I nauseous every day.  Funny thing if I can eat by 4pm if i am careful but its back again next day.
    • Posted

Can my gp diagnose this and if so what can be given to help it?
    • Posted

If you have it, this is what you'll experience.  Some nausea before eating.  Almost immediately after eating, diarreha.  Stools will be loose and floating in caustic yellow liquid.  The yellow liquid is the bile.  The diarreha will occur if you eat any fat, but if you eat lots of fat, the diarrhea will be constant.

Bile is released into the small intestine during digestion.  The body usually makes a hormone that allows bile to be reabsorbed. In some people, the body stops making the hormone.

It can be diagnosed by your gp, but it usually isn't, because gp's don't have the expertise.  

In the UK a medication called questran can be given.  

• Posted

I have this but it is intermittent.  One day nausea and no appetite, then one day yellow bile diarrhoea,  i had hoped gallbladder removal would help my nausea but another year on its worse not better.  do you think GP  will give questran if I ask?
    • Posted

Of course you should ask!  Please let me know how you get on.  
    • Posted

It could be.  The bile can also back up from your small intestine into your stomach resulting in nausea and/or heartburn.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.