IBS and losing weight?

Posted , 7 users are following.

anyone ever lose weight during a IBS flare up or is it just me? or can it be depression or anxiety thats causing it? i have no apetite but i still force myself to eat, i find anytime i have a flare up i lose weight.

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes, me. Half the time I don't feel like eating the other half i'm afraid to eat. Anxiety plays a roll but if I felt good I would be able to eat.

• Posted

it freaked me out my doctor seen me and said i did not look healthy , am losing too much weight too fast, honestly when she seen me i was in a flare up stage, so i did lose weight and the funny thing its been 2 months since the scale move for me but when i feel good like you said i eat. am honestly freaked out though, she wants to run blood test from head to toe for me, it make me think something is really wrong with me.

• Posted

I've lost a lot quickly too due to a flare up. If they could make us actually feel better we'd eat.

• Posted

I also thought that since i'm in a flare up, I'm trying to eat the FODMAP foods, which many I don't even care for. If I could eat my bad foods I wouldn't have lost as much weight but they affect the flare up!!

• Posted

exactly my issues too, i dont care for most the foods on there either i only picked the ones i like and stick to it but when i do slip up i pay the price and even my period made everything else worst

• Posted

tell me about it, its like i like losing the weight cause am abit overweight but feeling unwell isnt making anything better

• Posted

I too do not feel like eating and am frightened eating will make me worse which causes more Anxiety and makes things even worse.

However, I do not lose weight and my tummy is always bloated.

• Posted

the bloated feeling is so uncomfortable and i feel maybe thats why am feeling full do fast

• Posted

It's likely to be a combination of things: not eating/eating less, anxiety, bouts of diarrhoea causing food not be be absorbed properly, food not digesting well and being left behind in stools

• Posted

i was thinking that too am under so much stress right now its like i can feel it. am only constipated or when i go little comes out to nothing,

• Posted

wow i didnt know that, do you know why constipation cause it?

• Posted

It's the waste products backing up in your colon that can make you feel toxic. Lack of appetite/nausea is one of my symptoms if my constipation goes on for l long time.

• Posted

I'm often constipated a d either I have no urge to go or very little comes out.

• Posted

i suspected i couldnt burp or fart until yesterday i started to burp

• Posted

I certainly have no trouble farting or burping. I have a very musical bottom!

• Posted

lucky you i feel like if you could let out trapped gas thats good and a relief

• Posted

also i read that nausea is a side effect from ibs in some people

• Posted

The amount of gas I have showed up in my ultrasound before diagnosis. It was noted, but no one was able to draw any conclusions from it.

• Posted

Thats one thing that comes and goes for me, one weeks its a gas party....next week its Normal. Its a rotating cycle, but no trigger foods o can find, guess its just one of those funny ibs things, ....unless others are around that is..:-)

• Posted

No foods trigger my gas either; my bowel is full of it no matter what I do. My brother is the same and he has IBS which has long been in remission. Mind you he was gassy before IBS. He always laughs at the loud explosions from my bottom, but my dad always pulls a face.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.