IBS and losing weight?

Posted , 6 users are following.

anyone ever lose weight during a IBS flare up or is it just me? or can it be depression or anxiety thats causing it? i have no apetite but i still force myself to eat, i find anytime i have a flare up i lose weight.

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes, me. Half the time I don't feel like eating the other half i'm afraid to eat. Anxiety plays a roll but if I felt good I would be able to eat.

Report Reply
    • Posted

it freaked me out my doctor seen me and said i did not look healthy , am losing too much weight too fast, honestly when she seen me i was in a flare up stage, so i did lose weight and the funny thing its been 2 months since the scale move for me but when i feel good like you said i eat. am honestly freaked out though, she wants to run blood test from head to toe for me, it make me think something is really wrong with me.

Report Reply
    • Posted

I also thought that since i'm in a flare up, I'm trying to eat the FODMAP foods, which many I don't even care for. If I could eat my bad foods I wouldn't have lost as much weight but they affect the flare up!!

Report Reply
    • Posted

exactly my issues too, i dont care for most the foods on there either i only picked the ones i like and stick to it but when i do slip up i pay the price and even my period made everything else worst

Report Reply
    • Posted

tell me about it, its like i like losing the weight cause am abit overweight but feeling unwell isnt making anything better

Report Reply
  • Posted

I too do not feel like eating and am frightened eating will make me worse which causes more Anxiety and makes things even worse.

However, I do not lose weight and my tummy is always bloated.

Report Reply
  • Posted

It's likely to be a combination of things: not eating/eating less, anxiety, bouts of diarrhoea causing food not be be absorbed properly, food not digesting well and being left behind in stools

Report Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up