Ibs and medication advice

Posted , 3 users are following.

so still struggling with my ibs and at the moment i have to take tablets that cause constipation which dont help ive strained that much that ive caused pain under my left rib cage (is that normal) but was wondering while taking medication like that would it be useful to take something to help the ibs as well

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Next
  • Edited

It would be better to ask your doctor for an antispasmodic that doesn't cause constipation.If you are not taking something for your IBS, this maybe why you are still struggling with it. Stressing about your symptoms will make your IBS worse. Your doctor ought to have prescribed you IBS medication. Anti anxiety medication can also cause gut problems and increase your anxiety rather than help it. It may be better to come off anti depressants if you are on them. Try relaxation therapy instead for your anxiety which can also help your IBS.

My doctor gave me an antispasmodic that caused constipation when I was already constipated despite the fact I told her this. The medication didn't help my pain and gave me horrendous indigestion much worse than I am used to. I ended up trying out an OTC antispasmodic myself which was far better. At least the doctor who diagnosed me, noted down my reactions to the previous drug and accepted that it hadn't worked. The one I take works in 15 minutes and doesn't cause any side effects for me. You don't need to take a medication that causes you unwanted side effects.If you strain abdominal muscles, or indeed any muscle for whatever reason, it can cause pain, so I wouldn't worry about that. Try not to give yourself extra worries. You could try lots of fruit to help constipation but as I said, you are better off avoiding medications that cause constipation and the necessity to strain.

Did you ever get the results of your MRI?

• Posted

the medication im taking is for pain so not on them for long but still not fun but thanks for the suggestions dont think my anxiety tablets are causing it seems to be the meds for pain and yes it said everything was fine

• Posted

yeah took a load of trial and error to find the tablets but have now gone it turns was migraines

• Posted

Probably a combination of your eyesight, stress and IBS caused it.

• Posted

probably still on the tablets hopefully will be fine without

• Posted

yeah same probably talk to a doctor about whats best to do

• Posted

If you can figure out what triggers the migraines, you may be able to try other natural things to control them,other than tablets.Relaxation therapy, a food diary, and making sure your IBS is well managed sre all solutions you can try yourself. Maybe try that first before seeing your doctor because a doctor's response will often be medication which isn't always necessary.

• Posted

yeah havent been able to figure out what the trigger is yet but will keep thinking and yeah the doctor booked me to keep an eye on things but will be careful with any medication

• Posted

You can find out what triggers your migraines quite easily. For example, monitor your stress levels. I your migraines come on after a stressful period, then you will know stress is the cause. Secondly, try a food diary. Note down everything you eat to see if anything brings on headaches. My mum's uncle couldn't eat chocolate because it caused migraines. If you have introduced anything new into your diet, this may also be a possible cause.

Thirdly, make sure you don't strain your eyes too much because that too can cause headaches, especially since you have astigmatism.Lastly, IBS can cause headaches. Monitor your flare ups to see if headaches are one of your symptoms. Medications can also cause headaches, especially anti depressants.

• Posted

will mention it to my about the medication i know some foods can cause it i got told about that before that was the reason they took me off my anxiety medication before

• Posted

I would come off your anxiety medication again and try natural methods for relaxation instead. You may find being off anti depressants will stop the headaches.Doctors are always getting you on one medication or the other when in fact natural solutions are better. They don't like admitting to side effects even when patients tell them the medication doesn't suit them.

• Posted

i mean at this point dont know what as that what we already tried so dont know if that what

• Posted

There is no harm in trying coming off the anti depressants again. When you don't know the answer, you have to consider all possibilities and repeat strategies you have tried before. I would try out solutions yourself such as diet, reducing stress and anxiety naturally with relaxation therapy and come off the anti depressants. A combination of these things may help. I have had to try out solutions myself without the help of my doctors, because they couldn't help.

• Posted

i got told i have to notify the doctor first before i stop taking the tablets is that true

• Posted

Some medications come with the instruction to see your doctor if you want to come off them especially if they are powerful.You could try gradually reducing the dose of the anti anxiety medication yourself. Doctors recommend that you come off them slowly. I would tell you doctor you want to come off them and ask for help to gradually reduce the dose if you are unsure how to go about this.

• Posted

by reducing do you mean the number of tablets or the strength?

• Posted

i take one a day as it is so maybe lowering the strength

• Posted

Reducing the number of tablets will reduce the strength. If I took one painkiller instead of two for example, the dose would not be as strong. You could always try taking half a tablet only until you get to the point of stopping them altogether.

• Posted

oh yeah could try that they are small tablets so will see

• Posted

What did your doctor suggest when you came off anti depressants before? Whatever advice you were given then, I would follow that.I generally stay away from both natural and prescribed medication as possible because my immune system goes into attack mode because it thinks it's facing an invader. I take some OTC painkillers and very mild antispasmodics only. However, with painkillers, I have to take the capsule variety because my throat goes into spasm when I try to swallow the round type and I start to choke. Either my throat expels the tablet or I have to cough it up because it sticks in my throat.

• Posted

did not get any advice when off them yeah the round tablets are no fun just got told to take regular painkillers to see how it goes

• Posted

Maybe you need to see a different doctor if you are not getting enough advice.

• Posted

maybe but im worried that my anxiety will get worse if off them i mean already scared that i might have a blood clot in my lungs

• Posted

There are natural ways of controlling anxiety such as meditation, relaxation therapy and light exercise. Even a hobby can help. A ll these things can help to take your mind off worrying about your health I know a lot of people on anti depressants but they are still highly anxious and are hampered by side effects. There is no point in stressing about conditions that you have not been diagnosed with because you will just make yourself miserable for no good reason. Don't listen to your anxiety.

I have always been an anxious person and I was a lot worse when I was a child.A lot of it was down to my autism which I didn't know I had and my inability to find my talents and place in the world. Now I am diagnosed autistic, I feel far more confident and have discovered talents I didn't know I had, so I feel calmer. I do get bouts of anxiety but once they have passed, I feel better again. I find avoidance tactics also help me. I would speak to your doctor about other ways of dealing with anxiety.

• Posted

thanks i always get worried when taking tablets like taking to many different things and side effects but i will speak to them

• Posted

It's probably better to take as little medication as possible and to look at natural option if there are any.

• Posted

yeah maybe will have to try find it hard to distract myself

• Posted

yeah been trying to do today its just moments where you dont have to do or like trying to go to sleep that i struggle with the thoughts

• Posted

Maybe try reading at night or listening to calming music before going to sleep. Even when you think you don't have anything to do, you can still invent things to occupy you.

• Posted

ok thanks will try that hopefully things get better soon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.