IBS Diet advice please..

Posted , 7 users are following.

i have suffered from diagnosed IBS for about 12 months and believe it to be as a consequence of a long period of antibiotic use following pneumonia.

It first presented as diarrhoea and since taking colafac MR it is now more commonly constipation with bloating, right hand stomach pain and back pain and gurgling lower bowels.

i have read numerous articles about diet and they are in the main contradictory.

i have decided to reduce my gluten intake and have certainly stopped the majority of treats such as chocolate and biscuits thereby reducing my sugar intake and also significantly reduced the amount of coffee I drink but am only experiencing small gains and never feel too far away from a bout of diarrhoea.

i go to the gym 2 to 4 times a week when symptoms allow.

Any dietary advice based on experience would be greatly appreciated.frown

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have noticed various of the gut-distension symptoms along with something like the spastic gurgling that can last several hours and that can disturb sleep.

I firstly noticed that fasting cured all of this.  Also that even brief fasting, accelerated by exercise such as lengthy walking, hiking or cycling, was more rapidly effective.

I now find that I can comfortably eat larger meals, but only within a period of time that my calorie expenditure would utilize the extra fuel.

So I'm thinking that the quickness, effectiveness and comfort of digestion somehow relies heavily on the metabological needs of the amount of food/fuel to be consumed.

The good news of all this is that I am more comfortable when exercising more and eating less, as all of my many issues with gut and lower back discomfort quickly go away when I simply create this bit of a deficit in my calorie stores.

So I can recommend whatever exercise that most comfortably allows longer-term sessions of calorie expenditure, along with food choices that are lower in non-water density, such as soups, fruit, vegetables (even pickles, make your own using leftover pickle juice), along with plenty of water. I don't cut back on meat/fish much either, but portion size is kept reasonable at each meal. I avoid all cookies and crackers most of the time, and go very easy on bread and on oil-laden foods such as dressings, etc.

• Posted

Dan38655's post is excellent protocol for nearly all digestive issues. TCM suggestes a fast of one to 3 days after any major digestive upset/disturbance.

Ann

• Posted

Hi

I agree. Great post. I am doing exactly that right now for the past couple of days. So far O.K. but I can't get rid of the discomfort. It is quite annoying. It feels like there is something there that needs to come out and sometimes it feels like an open wound. Must be quite inflamed. So I think.

Vivian

• Posted

Vivian,

so far OK...and that's a plus no?...if inflammation.....It's the immune reponse stuck in step one of two...which anti inflmmatory (step two)  can "get it unstuck" or treatment combination? Think you and Dan are at least on the right track. I hope this protocol blueprint with your personal modifications work...Ann

• Posted

I have ordered the psyllium husk in tablet form as I think it will suit my lifestyle better.

whilst in the shop the manager recommended that I try pineapple after meals as it has some proven digestive benefits.

Keen to take any advice and try almost anything, I have started eating pineapple twice a day and I think it may be helping....I will keep you posted.

• Posted

pineapple  contains Bromalain...anti inflammation...a standard supplement for any post facial surgery to reduce swelling...Ann
    • Posted

No wonder it works. Better than anti-inflammatory pills. They make me sleep and give me nausea. Thanks for all the good information. It is really helpful.

Vivian

• Posted

Nick just reminded me that Bromelain is also  an enzyme that processes Protein...its mostly in the core...it can be quite acid to reduce it "IF" you have an acid burn issue, core before slicing...and then "IF" you yet have acid issue...toss some table salt on the larger cut slices (both sides)...rest for 2 to 3 minutes...then rinse...it does not change the flavor. Read that Donclaudio used the salted sliced pieces post his wife's major abdominal sugery (pubic bone to her rib cage. Stated it was to reduce inflammation...and may have been quite beneficial. Ann
    • Posted

Sounds excellent. I do have some acid reflux.

I will buy some pineapple tomorrow and try it. I think I have major inflamation and irritation with this recent episode.

Thanks again

Vivian

• Posted

Hi Vivian,

i suffer from gastro reflux but have been fine with the pineapple. Buy a fresh pineapple not the chunks as they are in syrup (sugar).

• Posted

I will. Thanks. Just took some psyllium right now as I am in the phase of possible constipation and then another bout I am trying to seriously avoid.

Vivian

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.