Ibs / IBD

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there I’ve had severe diahrreah for almost 12 weeks now my decal Calprotectin was 600, I have had a colonoscopy and it’s normal my gastroenterologist thinks I just have severe IBS but can’t explain my FC results? I don’t believe I have IBS any help would be great 

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Emzyxo, Sorry you have to go through those periods where you are unsure of diagnosis...well, stool calprotectin is marker of inflammation in GI tract...that doesn't give you any specific diagnosis...If that so and your stool calprotectin is high then to rule out IBD they have another antibody tests...ASCA IgG and IgM for crohn's disease and P_ANCA for ulcerative colitis...these are the blood tests....well in colonoscopy doctor can see the whole colon and the last part(ILEUM) of the small intestine....If your colon is normal then there is less likely that you have ulcerative colitis....well for small intestinal imaging you have to swallow capsule camera to look at the small bowel or can do MRI of small bowel or MR enterography....stool calprotectin is non specific marker and used to differentiate between many conditions...IT can be high due to any inflammatory process...so I think you need further evaluation...And you can always discuss your concern with your doctor until you are not satisfied with your diagnosis...

• Posted

Thank you most helpful answer I’ve had ❤️See my GP tomorrow
    • Posted

Hi Emzyxo..I am happy that you found it helpful...Just wanted to ask did you got checked with stool routine micro and stool culture?
  • Posted

Hi, I've not been on a forum before but I have similar problems and I'm feeling quite down about it all at the minute. I've had chronic diahrreah for the last 3 weeks ... I know it will come to an end ... hopefully soon. Then I'll go to every two or three days of it rather than constant. I also know I'll have this semi - normal state for a few months before I'll get back to the constant D for probably 3 months or so  🙄 I don't think it's IBS either - can't work out triggers - everything seems to 'trigger' it! Had a full colonoscopy and other tests - all normal. My consultant is sending me to have bowel exercises where I can learn to 'hold it in' longer. I feel he's missing the point - I need to stop this happening not control the urgency - though it will be of benefit I suppose. I'm looking into some sort of elimination diet too. Can any one recommend anything? My consultant had suggested it's caused by anxiety and stress - I'm not stressed or anxious about anything except my condition - what ever that is. I sort of feel reassured by your post Emzyxo as other people with IBS all seem to have constipation and I often feel I'm the only one experiencing this dreaded D word. It's been good to vent. 

• Posted

If you are stressing about your condition, this will make your diarrhoea worse.  Try Imodium fo stop the diarrhoea and try a food diary or ask your doctor to refer you to a dietician to help you with the low Fodmap diet.  Sometimes you can be stressed about little things and not realise it.  

I had lots of stress six months before my IBS started but I didn’t relate it to my symptoms because it is normal for me to be anxious. I too had no idea what was triggering it at first because food elimination didn’t work for me.  My doctor made the connection between my symptoms and my stress and diagnosed me with IBS.  Some people will mainly get diarrhoea with their IBS, others will get constipation, while some get both.  I have had a mixture of the two.

• Posted

With IBS, you will not be able to get rid of your symptoms completely, the best you will be able to do is to control them.  Treatment focuses on managing your symptoms only.
    • Posted

Yeah I know Elaine I did have severe constipation but I’m on dohydrocodeine which is expected I have never had Diahreah up until like 10 weeks ago and it hasn’t stopped my Gasto isnt listening to be its so frustrating 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.