IBS or something more sinister? Anxious.. help please?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 29 and have suffered IBS for a while but its normally just a day of being on the loo after eating something that my stomach doesn't look or if I'm anxious.

For over 2 weeks now I have had frequent loose stools (I started with a pain in the upper centre of my stomach but that seems to have eased slightly), I'm going up to 5+ times a day even though I am barely eating, loss of appetite, nausea and stomach cramps.

I went to the GP who pretty much shrugged me off and said its likely to be either a stomach bug(?), IBS or anxiety. He's sending me for an ultrasound for gallstones which even he says he doubts it will be.

Its really getting me massively down now as its been over 2 weeks and I'm scared to leave the house.. I just want to be able to and want to want to eat a full meal! And I'm fed up of constantly needing the toilet and not having  normal bowel movements. 2 people my age have recently been diagnosed with bowel cancer so that is always in the back of my mind.

Anyone else have similar experiences to this, or have any advice?

Thank you.

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Eat different.  Straight up just don't eat any junk and see what happens.  You have to see what is kicking this off.  I am banking the food you eat is contributing to some issue you have in your gut.  Parasites can cause gut problems too.  Have you ever taken antibiotics?  If so, you need to get your gut flora back up.  Try probiotics but first of all just change what you eat and try just wholesome foods.  No dairy and no sugar -- see what happens.

• Posted

My guess would be your gullbladder .I had that problem for over a year and would though up just about every day then after a while I got to hurting in my navel and finally went to the Dr and he said that I had a hernia in my navel and that it needs to be repaired ASAP so I went in to get ready for surgery and was asked if I was feeling OK and when I told them that I had gotten sick and though up they ask me if I knew why and I replied it happens very often and for the past year or so. The Dr said that he wasn't going to do the surgery yet and was sending me for a test because he thought that my gullbladder was bad and if so he could do both at the same time and he was right it was bad,full of stones and the getting sick is what gave me the hernia.

• Posted

Ask dr for a calprotectin test, this is a fairly new one that indicates inflammation in bowels, it can indicate ibd and even bowel tumors (not trying to scare you wink) if it’s normal it’s most likely ibs
    • Posted

Good luck with your scans!

The fecal calprotectin test is a stool test;  I am in the UK, are you as well?

• Posted

Yes I am, in Yorkshire. I ordered a FOB? test online that checks for hidden blood in your stool which was negative, so I suppose thats a relief but I'm still not feeling much better :-(

• Posted

Stress can definitely trigger bowel upsets. I had that kind of symptoms for several years and got the all clear so many times by my regular Dr, until I finally insisted on being referred to a gastroenterologist. They gave me meds for it but eventually I had to get my gallbladder removed. The pain in the center of my belly stopped, but I still have watery stools several times a day. My gastroenterologist said that sometimes you produce too much of the digestive fluids.  I still had the watery stools a year after my gallbladder surgery so they gave me Colestipol which works to stop the overproduction of those  digestive fluids. 

I started out with 1 twice a day and increased to 2 twice a day. It took

A couple of months at the 2 tablets twice a day for it to finally stop the diarreah. I was so tired of having to go so much ( not to mention how sore you get from all that wiping)and having to resort to wearing  pads in case I couldn’t get to the bathroom in time. I hope you get it figured out 

• Posted

Thank you everyone. I’m being referred for a scan on my gallbladder but if that’s normal I’m going to try & push for a colonoscopy. I’m just so scared/obsessed that it could be something major like bowel cancer.

• Posted

Thank you Ted, I really hope not. Its just the fact I had such a sudden loss of appetite and change in bowel movements and its lasting that has scared the life out of me
    • Posted

If there’s any one in your immediate family, parents, siblings, who have had polyps found when they had a colonoscopy then it’s tecommended to get a colonoscopy just to make sure you don’t have them

As well. When I had my colonoscopy and they found polyps I was told to tell my kids and my siblings to get their first colonoscopy especially if they were over 30 and to get one every ten years even if they didn’t have any polyps. Because I had polyps I have to get a colonoscopy every 5 years. Just had my 5 year and second) colonoscopy and had no polyps!!If they do find any they just take them out  during the colonoscopy. And the ones they remove do not grow back, which is great!  So it can’t hurt to get your first colonoscopy any way so that you know and if you have any polyps then your family will be able ringer tested too. They are hereditary evidently. And it doesnt hurt because they sedate you. And I didn’t have any pain afterwards. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.