IBS?? Something More Sinister??? Need Guidance

Posted , 10 users are following.

My symptoms were abdominal pain on left and right sides as well as diahrea and constipation. Which turned to flat stools after that subsided.

After a CT, a colonoscopy with fasting AND prep, my results came back normal, yet my stool is still flat consistently. I'm worried and confused because people say this is cancer but others say IBS

Is this kind of occurrence of always flat stools possible with IBS??

1 like, 64 replies

64 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Yes, flat stools are quite common with IBS, also when there are colon polyps present. I assume the polyps were ruled out though through your colonoscopy.
    • Posted

To my knowledge no polyps were found. I did the prep as directed also, so I'm assuming they had a good enough look.
  • Posted

Also your fiber intake can cause issues with flat stools
    • Posted

I've been eating a lot of fruits and veggies. My go to brain is Quinoa also so honestly Idk if upping my fiber is even gonna be worth it since that could lead to constipation.

I was told yo try activia yogurt but honestly as log as it doesn't cause any issues and isn't the cause of anything besides my IBS, I can live with flat stool.

I just mostly wanted to make sure that consistently flat stool could still be IBS and not something life threatening.

• Posted

Increasing fibre should help to ease constipation as long as it is the non complex variety. Yoghurt should be fine as long as you are not lactose intolerant.
    • Posted

I tried a Walgreen's brand soluble fiber supplement and it gave me a somewhat constipated result. I was getting that cramp feeling I'm sure some IBSers get, and when I passed my stool it was a little more difficult. Although it did have a bigger shap and was less flat.

Honestly, if the flat stool thing isn't indicative of cancer or something, I can live with it. I just didn't know if it was normal for them to always be flat like mine.

• Posted

If your stools were less flat after fibre supplements, perhaps experimenting with different brands and amounts of fibre is the solution.  I also think that if your test results all came back clear, then there is nothing sinister about the flat stools. If you are having no blood and you are not getting unexpected rapid weight loss, then this is also a very good sign. I went through the same anxiety about the shape of my stools and I began to regularly monitor them after every visit to the loo. Since my diagnosis, I am happy with any bowel movement at all.  
    • Posted

I believe my doc is gonna order stool tests, but honestly I thought after the colonoscopy came back there would be no need. I suppose they are just being thorough?

My main concern was cancer, which I know they can only detect by colonoscopy, but I suppose these stool tests would help us pinpoint/eliminate other things.

• Posted

A stool test can also detect a parasite, which is often no big deal. They can come from eating exotic foods and are easily treatable.

Have you been out of the country recently?

• Posted

Really? Maybe that's what's going on.. I haven't been out of the country but have been eating "healthy" foods lately that I usually dont. Sushi being one I revisit often. I'm going to ask my GI about what stool tests they might wanna do.
    • Posted

They often do the parasite test as a standard, and sushi would be one way of getting it because it often comes from out of the country. They are usually treated with some quick medication and you just poop them out lol
    • Posted

At this point I'm not sure but not gonna rule it out. It really could just be IBS. Apparently my symptoms and tests so far are leaning that way, but it is still worth me considering that possibility. For now, I'm just gonna accept the flat stool as IBS.

Bright side, at least I know its not cancer. I'm so happy I got that colonoscooy done.

• Posted

I'm in the same boat as you. Flat stools that haven't went away. I got a colonsocopy and they found nothing major except for a bit of gastritis. All stool tests came back negative, after about 9 to12 tests, so they're leaning towards IBS. My stools are sometimes (maybe once a month) normal like they used to be, so if it were something worse, it would be a lot more consistent in the stool size and shape. I can live with flat or loose stools, I just want to be sure.

Are you in a similar position?

• Posted

Yeah, pretty much. You're the second person on the thread who says they get them all the time. I think it may just be an IBS thing.

I went and did a little digging and apparently flat stool has to do with the poop being so soft that it can't hold a round shape while being pushed by normal colon activity

I've also read that the flat stool=cancer correlation was based on a 19th century theory from a guy with no data to back it up. Even now. Meanwhile the data we do have from flat stools says its about the consistency and softness. My stools always come out soft and break apart as they flush.

I also read a story from a guy who had colon cancer, and he said his stool shape didn't change to flat. His were always normal. So the flat stool thing may just be an IBS symptom. If you,Jan, and I all have had all these tests done and they didn't find anything, it means its more common than we might think

• Posted

Today for example, my morning poop looked like a soft serve/snake. Still not fully round, but way less flat and fluffy than the ones I typically get.
    • Posted

yeah, that's encouraging because I really thought that I had Chron's, Colitis, or cancer originally, and was surprised/relieved when the tests said I have nothing. I think stressing about it makes it worse too, my anxiety makes my IBS worse, then my IBS makes my anxiety worse, and it creates a vicious cycle. 

Do you have anxiety issue too?

• Posted

Same boat, at least from the tests so far. I was so relieved when my scope results came back negative, but when my the stool change persisted, I thought the worse and panicked.

I definitely do have anxiety when it comes to my health, and it does kinda create a cycle. My GI wants to see me this week so I'm hoping to get some reassurance from that visit, but yeah a good result on a scope rules out the worst stuff as Phillip said. We are just anxious so we haven't realized that.

• Posted

lol you sound just like me.

If you ever need to talk or anything, post on here or feel free to send me a PM.

Good luck and all the best!

• Posted

I had stool tests for h pylori and fecal calprotectin which looks for Crohns or Colitis and both were negative. Hopefully after you have the stool tests, you will get a diagnosis.
    • Posted

If the colonoscopy didn't see colitis or chrons is it possible that the stool test would?
    • Posted

A colonoscopy would show Crohns or Colitis if it was present.  Since yours came back clear, the fecal calprotectin test is likely to show nothing.
    • Posted

I dont think so, colonscopy's are usually used to confirm the diagnosis after the stool test, so if they colonoscopy didn't detect it, I dont think you have it.
    • Posted

i think yoghurt is fine even if you are lactose intolerant.. I believe yogurt is recommended for patients who are lactose intolerant..i think you need to load up with fiber. hope i helped even a bit.
    • Posted

Yeah they did my colonsocooy first. Provably to rule out the big C
    • Posted

so do you think it could be anything other than IBS?

If so, what?

• Posted

No idea. The scope pretty much sees all, and didn't see anything so it must be that. Anal cancer is rare as hell, and colonoscopy checks for all colotectal abnormalities. So to answer your question, I dont think it can be anything serious now that cancer is ruled out.
    • Posted

that's good, so what's your next step?
    • Posted

Talk to my doc on Friday to

A.) Verify their lack of findings

B.) See if any other possibilities exist

C.) See what test can/shoulf be done

From what I expect, they might give me stool tests but that's it

• Posted

at least they've narrowed it down and elimated cancer, right?
    • Posted

From what I recall, no cancer or polyps were found. Plus, again, the whole "tumor causing flat stool" thing is apparently a myth with no medical data to support it. Its likely IBS
    • Posted

awesome, good to hear.

Can you keep me posted on what your doctors say?

• Posted

thank you! smile

If you ever need anything, post on here or feel free to send me a PM.

Good luck and all the best!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.