IBS?? Something More Sinister??? Need Guidance

Posted , 10 users are following.

My symptoms were abdominal pain on left and right sides as well as diahrea and constipation. Which turned to flat stools after that subsided.

After a CT, a colonoscopy with fasting AND prep, my results came back normal, yet my stool is still flat consistently. I'm worried and confused because people say this is cancer but others say IBS

Is this kind of occurrence of always flat stools possible with IBS??

1 like, 64 replies

64 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi josh..once during my check up the doctor asked me if I have stools similar to that of goats.. small pebble like stools but comact and somewhat gooey or pasty..that's an indication (according to doc) of cancer..mine's not actually,that was a relief... I have problems with my colon's reabsorption of water that is why my stool is not formed well..but I actually managed it by now.
    • Posted

Yeah I definitely dont have the stools your doc asked about they are just flat and soft all the time..
    • Posted

that's good..i hope you'll be able tyo diagnose what's really the problem.. try fibers.
    • Posted

I'd look into that statement. I've heard that poop shape has nothing to do with a tumor. I had a colonoscopy a month ago and just passed a stool that was round/pebble like and gooey (soft consistency) but all my poops are generally soft. And my colooscopy rshowed no cancer or polyps. So I'm not sure if that statement by your doc is on point.

Either way I'm seeing my doctor Friday to go over my results and ask questions.

• Posted

hesitant to share this,but anyway.... my mom had stage 4 CA and it was really a struggle to poop when she was diagnosed. Her stool were small pebble like,gooey and theyr are clumped..the doctor explained that there moght be tumors in the colon that causes the shape to be like that...
    • Posted

Sorry to hear about your mother. In more advanced cases I suppose a tumor shaping stool is possible. Generally that would be the only time, or so I would think. In our cases, we're fortunate enough to have a clean bill of health. Do you have to get screened regularly since you have a relative who has had it?

• Posted

hey josh, your post put me at ease a little bit, I'm 21 y/o and for the past 2 months have had flat/thin stools with alternation of diarrhea and constipation, but always flat! I haven't had any testing done simply because everyone I tell just tells me I'm fine and not to worry about it. But it's hard not to worry being a hypochondriac and all! Lol but reading this post put me at so much ease

• Posted

Hello 

I hope this thread is still open as  I am going crazy and I can see you guys are  pretty open and share valuable information . here's my story. 

About  1 year ago I started having diarrhea while I was in Florida  for vacation this went on for the entire week I was there.  I came back  home had a few more normal stools but I would have diarrhea every 3 days . then after a few weeks  it got so bad where I was having it everyday  sometimes  4 5 time it was terrible.  I talked to my Doctor and she recommended a stool  TEST which came back negative  and then she said ok fair enough  u need a colonoscopy . I had my colonoscopy  in NOV. 2016 and it came back  no issues. Doctor said my colon was perfect no issues and said my prep was amazing  very very clean which makes me happy as I assume he got  a good look at it.   well after 3 weeks I went back to discus and  immediately he said yeah you have IBS. No other tests , Just colonoscopy and he said sure you have IBS. Also he checked my prostate which I was asleep and said that looked good too.  SO yeah I am happy about that BUT  my life is a mess as I still think something else might be wrong with me.  I am just always worried     I still have  diarrhea/Flat stools and grooves/ridges on my stool it's like someone took a toothbrush and ran it down your poop( sorry for the detailed info) Doctor said it's normal to have ridges grooves as  is due to  slow transit/ and when body needs water it get's it from there i guess some weird explanation . I also had  a CBC test so i can get my blood check after . I wanted  to amke sure we are not missing anything.

So I only had 3 tests and been diagnosed with IBS 

-Stool test          

-Colonoscopy   (10 months) ago 

-CBC test 

all were  good. 

I am worried that doc might have  missed something as I  always have either diarrhea  or flat groove stools.  

I asked the opinion of a different  Gastro and said he thinks I am fine and need more fiber but he wanted to do a  Barium enema which I said no cuz it was optional.  Doc said  Colonoscopy si KING and since I already had one there is no need for another one. 

I am thinking about getting another colonoscopy  JUST  to be sure doc didn't miss anything the first time.

Can you guys PLEASE SHARE YOUR Toughs I need someone to talk to I am quite persona nd  don't ahve a lot a friends to talk about this subject. thanks guys    

• Posted

hi. I also an experiencing grooves down the length of my stools. not every bowel movement. it definitely freaked me out when I read this could be caused by a tumour or a polyp in the bowel. I was wondering if you had any further news concerning this? I've had no other problems, regular and now blood. The grooves/indents are definitely a worry.

• Posted

concerning this Well what can I say. I wish my life would be normal and I would poop nice normal logs. I can't really complain  I am still alive and i could have worse diseases that IBS.  to answer your questions YES. I get grooves almost on every stool  when it's round and formed , BUT i get  a normal stool every 2 weeks have like a normal stool 2 days in a row and then the rest of 2 weeks diarrhea  or loose stools.   I am really concerned and still not convinced  it's IBS. My wife says I am crazy and just make things up my doctors say I am fine. BUT yet i have the weirdest poop shapes ever.  I don't know what to do . I asked for another colonoscopy an doctor said  NO since  my last clean/negative scope was a year ago. I am really down I just need some encouragement, really i just want to poop normal smile    What about you did you address you grooves to your doc ??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.