IBS - whose had a colonoscopy?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi

Can I ask who has had a colonoscopy that has ibs - d or ibs with loose stools?

Was anything found and did it make your bowel worse afterwards?

Went to the Doctor today and he's suggested a colonoscopy than having tests for sibo fractose etc. It said it will show any inflammation or polyps.

I hope it doesn't further irritate my bowel and the prep for these play havoc with the gut.

I'm facing my fears and hope after 6 months of loose or small stools that it's nothing more than the PI IBS from the semonella.

Cheers

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Rhonda,

I am sure you will not find anything on it, if you are only facing problem with IBS-D or C. You just need to work with your diet.

In my case, i have had PI IBS, gastro recommended for colonoscopy and Infection & disease Dr. said its only anxiety you dont require. I was confused and went to Naturopath, who cleared my IBS issue as well. 

I had D, 1 month back after that its reduced.. now i have only some bloating issue due to gas, which i am slowly recovering. My Dr. time line is 2 months, 1.5 months over. smile

Many of our IBS guys lost gall bladder..endoscopy, colonoscopy...etc.. those affects of our body only.

you just work with your diet. things will improve. thats my suggestion. still decision at your side smile

• Posted

Hi thanks for your reply - I've had 6 months of this going on -never once a normal stool

As I used to have prior to semonella

Hopefully it wont find anything - fingers crossed

I have worked on my diet and don't eat gluten or lactose - follow the fodmap diet - which restricts a lot. Hence I've lost weight. I've never been overweight really and what I was I lost when I had the semonella - it's just dropped off me and have not put it back on.

I stopped eating red meat for a week and I think that helped by just eating chicken or fish but it's so boring.

I just want an answer as when you look things up it could be confusing

I hope I can get an answer

Cheers

• Posted

After suffering with horrific stomach pain and 'glugs' which sounded like the sink emptying I was told by the GP that it was abdominal cramps. She said it was due to all the stress and anxiety involved with my husband illness and passing plus the agro cuased by my son.  Nine months down the line went back to the GP as I was having days when I woke with 'flu' like symtpoms and could have a whole day when I was really ill.  She simply said I will refer you.  Almost twelve months later I had an appontment with a gastrologist who told me I had fructose malabsorption .  I was to reduce my intake of fruit to no more than three pieces a day.  She said for me to have  a colonoscopy.(three months later.)  The drinks that you have to take didn't appear to work until I was on the way to the appointment.Towards the end of the scan they had to inflate me which was a little uncomfortable.  I must admit the symptoms I felt after the scan were just like when I had a bad day but they passed quickly (this was probably due to the 'inflation,'wink I was loose for a couple of days .  After that I was fine.  My colonoscopy was clear apart from a spegilian hernia (which is to be repaired within two weeks- still waiting more than three months .) I steer clear of cereals, cakes, biscuits,rarely eat potatoes and have the occasional sourdough bread.  I have received very little support or advice and find it is trial and error.

I am sure you will be fine and least you will have peace of mind that it is nothing  to worry about.

• Posted

hi Patracia

sorry to hear about all your stress and the passing of your husband.  It would of taken a toll for sure.

I thought I might have fructose malabsorbtion but mentioned it to the doctor who just said I think a colonoscopy will tell us alot.

The problem is the fructose diet is different to the fodmap in many ways, so I'm stumped at which way to go.

All I know is that for one week i had nothing but chicken and vegetables and it did make a difference but still didn't produce one solid movement which I'd love to see. (as stupid as that sounds), sick of the different consistencies, shapes, pencils, worms, etc. 

I know my stress is not good and would not be helping, but I just seem to have too much water in my stools.  Foods that bulk up are soluable ones such as potatoes pumpkin beans, etc. It's helped a little but not 100 per cent.

I just hope its just the PI IBS and maybe I am going to just have to live with it.  Some people never get over it after semonella poisioning as it affects the motitlity in the bowel and damages the nerve lining.

Thanks for your time.  Goodluck with your health.  Cheers.

• Posted

I had a colonoscopy after 6 months or so of experiencing very frequent, often urgent, loose bowel movements and a nagging pain in my right side. The prep for the colonoscpoy was slightly unpleasant but the procedure itself and recovery period were fine. Within a couple of days of the procedure my bowel movements were back to what had become "normal" for me. The colonoscopy didn't reveal anything untoward apart from a small polyp which was removed. I was diagnosed with IBS - which I strongly suspect came about following a particular medication I had been given some 6 or 7 months earlier. Even though I had been taken off that medication the IBS symptoms remained. 

My GP recommended the Low Fodmap diet and it has worked really well for me. 2 years on I still don't have the type of bowel movement that I consider normal, but the diarrhoea and frequent, urgent need to go to the loo has reduced significantly. I do still have the occasional flare up but these usually only last a couple of days and can be managed with Immodium. 

Jan

• Posted

Hi Jan

Glad you are a lot better. Can I ask when you say you had 6 months of loose stools was it everyday with any normal stools at all?

And now when you say it isn't perfect still - what stools do you now have? And are you still watching your diet

Cheers

• Posted

Yes, it was 6 months of almost constant diarrhoea with no "normal" stools. My stools are still, mostly, mushy or pencil/worm like but I now only have a bowel movement once or at most twice a day. 

And yes, I do still watch my diet. Garlic, mushrooms and onions are absolutely off my menu, I can only tolerate a small amount of gluten, and I avoid all ready made/ processed food. I religiously check ingredients in everything. Some brands of tomato ketchup, for example, contain onions.  Having said that, I enjoy a very varied diet and can substitute my forbidden foods with chives, the green part of leeks or spring onions and garlic infused oils. Gluten free foods are readily available although they are expensive. I often make my own GF bread, or GF sage and onion substitute stuffing. So I don't feel in the least bit deprived or have to follow a bland, boring diet. 

• Posted

Jan it's so good to hear from someone presenting like me although I'm sorry you have it.

I'm the same very sensitive now to a lot of things.

I've lost some weight due to cutting back on any fatty or processed foods. So out of a bad thing comes better eating habits.

I also lost originally 9lbs which I haven't regained also.

• Posted

Hi Rhonda

Yes i had  Colonsocopy just over a week ago after loose stools and bowl issues for 11 months. I was convinced something was wrong and my colon ect etc was very healthy. The only thing I had was a small pocket (diverticula) in my bowel. Consultant said i was probably born with it. 

• Posted

I have had a few and the procedure is fine but my problem is my body does not take well to the Movicol which needs to be taken beforehand.  A small sachet of Movicol is fine but I had to drink a few litres of the stuff. and obviously that for has a hangover and I am running before and after for a few days.
  • Posted

Have PI-IBS from a bacterial infection and had a colonoscopy late January to rule out any other issues (IBD, microscopic colities, etc.). As others have mentioned, the prep is the worst part but manageable especially if you are accustomed to having IBS-D. I was under conscious sedation for my colonoscopy so was fine for the procedure and other than some gas, had no issues post-colonoscopy either.

My colonoscopy showed a healthy colon, some internal hemorrhoids, and biopsies came back negative so my GI feels safe confirming it is is PI-IBS and hopefully my system will return to normal in the next few months.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply - that is encouraging as you know it's very stressful

Worrying

Take care

• Posted

I have had 2 and was absolutely fine afterwards. Didn't cause me any problems. I wonder uf you have been trsted for h pylori. I had it and it is common after other kinds of unfection. It plays havic with your gut. Mine was diagnosed with a gastroscopy though rather than the colonoscopy.

• Posted

So they were like general ibs symptoms. Had it twice now. Bloating and gassy and first time lots of loose movements. Gurgling stomach. This second time not so much of that tbh but just very ocassional bouts of being loose then beung a bit constipated. Pain intermittently in my very upper abdo. But apparently it affects everyone differently. Have a look online at the symptoms. Second time was much worse and yet less symptoms. I say much worse because it had gone on for over three years and I had pre cancerous changes. It has now been treated with antibiotics and all should go back to normal. Oh yes also sweating. Night sweats.
    • Posted

hi i'm not sure i'm got pylori even though i've had looser stools for 6 months but i did have semonella which has caused it i would say.  They is a condition PI IBS (well same as ibs but it comes on after a bout of bacterial infection which mine was confirmed).

I really don't have alot of pain - i would get an occasional pain in the abdo but really nothing to report. And I don't have constipation at all. I do get alot of gas however.

I really don't want to delve into a gastroscopy if it's not necessary. My brother in law had pylori but had major issues more with his stomach and pain. 

I also don't have night sweats.

• Posted

Yes you must do what is right for you. I also did not have much symptoms this time. If you read about it online it can be asymptomatic. It does not need a gastroscopy to rule out. There is a simple breath test which can be done.
    • Posted

I thought so Margaret - I think I'll see if I can do that once the colonoscopy is done. Thanks for your advice. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.