IBS - whose had a colonoscopy?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi

Can I ask who has had a colonoscopy that has ibs - d or ibs with loose stools?

Was anything found and did it make your bowel worse afterwards?

Went to the Doctor today and he's suggested a colonoscopy than having tests for sibo fractose etc. It said it will show any inflammation or polyps.

I hope it doesn't further irritate my bowel and the prep for these play havoc with the gut.

I'm facing my fears and hope after 6 months of loose or small stools that it's nothing more than the PI IBS from the semonella.

Cheers

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

When I had a colonoscopy, I found out I had a redundant colon, basically meaning it's longer than normal more loops and twists, the colonoscopy could not be finished so I had to have a barium enema to finish the other side, so my theory is it's relevant to the IBS I have.

• Posted

Hi there what were your symptoms Martin? And have the resolved now?

Goodluck in any case - all in here seem

To be in the same boat and it does get your down after a while.

Not scared of the procedure as I had one 8 years ago but just worried about the results.

Cheers

• Posted

I found suffering in silence and watching my relationship breakdown through constant illness more painful.

I found coming here liberating and after being so ill through the breakdown and being unable to work for the best part of a year after finding this place I slowly but surely started to improve and when I had setbacks I found support from others' who had setbacks.  I am now working again at 50% of my former rate but I have flexibility so Friday I did not get in until 10.30am.  They get a high quality employee on a more junior rate and I get to come and go as I please.

Previously I battled against being ill and tried to ignore for the about over 4 years but now realised I need to work with it.    

• Posted

So sorry to hear of your troubles

But glad you're getting better

It is worrying having these troubles and these groups are wonderful it makes you feel not so alone

Take care

• Posted

And ditto to you too re Rhonda: problems

Better is an interesting one.  I am holding down a part time job, in a fashion as I can not hold down regular hours but I would say my bathroom visits are not as prolonged as they once were.  I still have the occasional 3 hour visit but not as frequently whereas when I was at my most unwell that would be a bi weekly event. So I would say I am better than I was but far from where I was before. 

I used to walk cross country but since I started being ill more regularly the idea of doing that now freaks me out so done that for about 8 months now but I still try and walk the miles but locally where I know I am always within 10 mins of a supermarket.  The scenery is not as beautiful but I am still getting the exercise. 

The regular illness though has left me with side effects which can be very painful so altogether it is not something I would ever advise having smile

Also no consolation when my doc says it is rare for a male patient to have this problem. Thanks doc

We're all the same here whether lowly office worker like me or a CEO of a multinational.  One thing I have noticed from regular hospital for a different condition, all joy here, is illness levels the playing field.  It has no respect for the type of person you are it just says get on board. That is an annoying thing I have something more serious for which I attend the hospital for bi yearly check ups and screening to see if any change in status but IBS is thing which disrupts my life my more than anything else.  The other issue is more minor operation and biopsy but it does not disrupt.  There is a chance one day it could be far more serious but at the current time all my focus is on IBS.  Even go for the screenings it is 2 hours away and my first thought is hope I am not ill on that day.  My life revolves around IBS.  It is without doubt the most frustrating condittion I can think one could ever have as it just completely incapacitates.

• Posted

Thinking of you and whatever situation you have. Sounds like you have more than enough on your plate. Healing wishes to you.
    • Posted

Hello Rhonda It is currently benign so a non issue but the point I was trying to make was if I went around saying I have something which could turn serious it would be be taken seriously whereas telling an employer the reason you can not control your hours is due to IBS raises a snigger yet it completely incapacites me.  I remember when I got the letter following your recent meeting we need your in urgently for a cancer screening I could discuss it openly with friends and family but with IBS which completely stops me in my tracks and in my day to day life is much more serious but it is something I just can not discuss and when I have tried I have had such negative reactions it is something of which I have become ashamed. IBS really screws with your head. When I go for for my bi annual check ups though it is another matter completely. Some companies can not do enough even though it is only a check up but mention IBS to the same people and they do not want to know and sometimes it has to be mentioned as there have been times at companies where my times have been so erratic it has been a case of time to be open or be sacked.  Luckily with where I am now I said from the outset I want to have freedom to come and go no questions asked and they said yes so currently I do not have the issues I have had in the past for which I am very grateful.

This truly is the condition which shall not speak its name.  Even in the Cohen bros film they portrayed IBS as being a joke in The Ladykillers.  These perceptions do not help us.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.