ice or gel packs after TKR?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi, I am trying to get organised for my TKR at the end of the month. Do I need the reusable gel cool things from boots or actual ice pack ? Is there any difference?Also, did any of you use a leg lifter? thanks

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I got the reuseable ones....Sort of like a gel type substance in there, which barely freezes....I bought two actually, and rotated them, one cooling in the fridge/freezer and the other in use....The physios recommended a bag of peas...I didn't bother with that option...

I bought mine on line, which worked out much cheaper too....Can't remember where I bought them now....Probably Amazon

• Posted

Just type in 'Gel packs' into google and there's loads of them there from a few quid upwards
  • Posted

Frozen peas for Ian he moulded them to fit but 4 weeks in he decided hot water bottle helped more as the ice brought on the jiggers; but you'll get loads of advice on here, comes down to what suits you.
  • Posted

I use both ice packs but a slushy type home-made ice pack made from isopropyl (70%) and water and sealed in 2 or 3 freezer bags.  It conforms to the spot and is my favorite.  An old style heating pad is working great for the muscles and tendons etc. to warm up prior to exercise.   Best of luck.   Find a nice place besides bed to elevate and watch TV or read.  My experience has been that it may come in handy during the night.  I can't say it is fun at all but being prepared will certainly help.  Best of luck!
    • Posted

thanks for your help and advice, anything that helps can only be good
    • Posted

Yes, the only good thing about the long, wakeful, painful nights was the rare opportunity for reading! I caught up on over 50 of my books- awaiting during the first few weeks after TKR. I still have at least 150 more to read after my second op.(You can take the girl out of the library but not take the library out of the girl in spite of the fact that I am now a horticulturist! Long days working in the open airdrop lend themselves to dozing in front of the goggle box rather than reading .
  • Posted

I got given a cyro cuff when I left hospital but I detested it and anything else cold for that matter I have however used a hot water bottle at night and have had no problems...I think everyone is right you will work out what's best for you once you have had it done good luck
    • Posted

Check out what the hospital supplies first. Some seem really mean but mine great, I  was given a long shoe horn, an exercise ball, four gel packs, and most important of all a wonderful leg lifter.  Physio also arranged to have equipment delivered to the house, two raised loo seats, one perch chair for the kitchen, a high trolly to push from room to room for drinks  etc. and a shower chair, all of which were collected when I finished with them. All in all great service!  Either ask at your pre surgery assesment or ring the physio department.  Good luck, it's not that bad really!
    • Posted

never heard of the cyro cuff, I presume it is an ice thing?
    • Posted

The trolly for moving stuff around sounds great I was wondering how I was going to cope with that part,thanks
    • Posted

Cryo cuff is a Velcro strapped wraparound cuff. In the hospital they use a tank of ice to cool the water which flows into the cuff for your icing periods. I have been given the cuff to come home with filled with water and am keeping in the fridge and getting it out to use. I understand that you can buy yourself a tank online if you want to but I don't think I will bother. The company name is Aircast I think if you want to investigate. Good luck with your op!
  • Posted

Hi Dotty Lotty, I am 11 days post op. I use ice but not often as I to find heat better. I was given leg lifter in hospital, the best piece of equipment I have used. My leg and foot swell up to the point I can not lift, the lifter means independence especially night time. 

I find that each day I find that I can do a little more. I think the best advise anyone will give is... Take meds even if you feel you don't need them, it is easier to maintain pain level then to get rid of it. I learnt that early on. No pain makes you feel so much better

good luck with operation let us know how you are going on? It begins to be an invaluable site. X

• Posted

thanks for your swift reply, I shall order a leg lifter from amazon.I am already seeing the benefit of this site so I am sure it is going to be very useful, those of you who have been through it know so much more than the health proffesionals.Again many thanks for your advice
  • Posted

Hi Dotty,

just read your note about getting comfy stuff for your TKR.

i'm in Ohio and my Dr recommended to get an ice machine. My Orthpaedists Dr ordered me one.my insurance company paid for it...so you might inquire about that. It was a lifesaver for wks after surgery. He had me bring it to the hospital the day of my surgery and when I woke up they had it already on my knee and pumping that comforting coolness surrounding my knee. It looks like a small ice chest .You put In a designated amount of H2O and ice..(we bought bagged ice after I got home.) it has a hose that attaches to the ice chest and a wrap for around knee that allowes the cool to circulate and make sure you. Keep your knee elevated . It detaches easily so you could leave your chair. Here's also when a nice reclining chair is really "sweet" ...to help you elevate and doze off comfortably.

hope this info is helpful, Dotty.

Best wishes to you.

Janet

• Posted

at 6 weeks out it is hard for me to gauge how valuable my recliner has become!   It is older and a little broken down but so am I.. 
    • Posted

The ice machine sounds excellent, I have an ice dispenser on my fridge so I will work with that! Thanks for your good wishes
    • Posted

You can also freeze small water bottles and put them in the cooler for the polar ice instead of ice, then just add the water

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.