ice or gel packs after TKR?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi, I am trying to get organised for my TKR at the end of the month. Do I need the reusable gel cool things from boots or actual ice pack ? Is there any difference?Also, did any of you use a leg lifter? thanks

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I wouldn't spend too much until you find out what the hospital will lend you! I didn't have a leg lifter for either knee and managed with frozen veg for icing.

Best Wishes.

• Posted

I bought a leg lifter for my last TKR but the NHS provided one and lots of other useful equipment on free loan. The raised loo seat is an ESSENTIAL!!!!  While waiting for my second TKR I use my walking stick upside down to gt my bad leg in and out of the car. It was my son-in-law's idea when I was struggling to get into his little sports car. What a pity he can't patent it! rolleyes
    • Posted

Not only does the leg lifter help you  get in and out of bed in the very early days, but while doing so it is also working your muscles.  I used mine to help with exercises at the bigining and to  add and practice bend and extending my leg against it as time went on.  It certainly enhanced my recovery.
    • Posted

I am now convinced that I need to but a leg lifter! Very innovative to use the walking stick end talk about multi purpose I am now racking my brain as to what else I can use a walking stick for!
  • Posted

Oh yes, I find it very helpful to hook down branches for the juiciest blackberries. But try not to fall over into the bush. redface
    • Posted

Daphne, as soon as you said blackberries I thought, "Bears".  I then thought, "Are there bears in the UK?"  Apparently there are none.  And then it was, "Is Daphne from England or Australia?"  This is a lot of fun for me.  I'm traveling vicariously through everyone on this thread. Oh and it keeps my mind off my leg ha ha
  • Posted

Oh, re you USA! If so what state ?
    • Posted

Denver, Colorado....   lots of sunshine.   Elevation one mile.  Great place but front range getting crowded. For me anyway.
  • Posted

Another thing you will want to have close is a grabber to grab out of reach items, I also used a shower chair, and a toilet seat riser with handles was a plus. Also be sure to have an extra pair of compression socks, I was sent home with one pair of thigh high on, but needed another pair when I washed them, and you will want the anti slip socks. I also had a little bike basket on my walker so I could carry items in it as needed. Best of luck to you!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.