Im about to cold turkey from codeine and im scared!

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi from Australia guys and girls! Ive been addicted to codeine for about 10yrs taking up to 60 tabs a day which is crazy i know, but ive go down over the last week to about 10.

Here in Australia codeine has been banned from sales due to the affects on ppls live which is a good move BUT!! has forced me to go cold turkey as im not getting a script for it i refuse!!

Now im about to detox from it and it frightens me as i am a full time worker who cannot take time off from work, so life is about to get hard real fast! And what worries me is how i will perform at work. Ive read a lot off the story's on here and it great to see ppl have kicked this nasty habit, but now its my turn to step up to the plate! ive just deposed off the last off my tabs so with in 12-24hrs it begins.

Anyway its Saturday atm and in a few days ill find out how strong i really am and all i can say is, id be liying if i said im not scared.

cheers

Nathan..... 

0 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Everyone  please join “codeine addiction” Facebook group. You can make anon profile if u wish. Hundreds of us in there. Im also 6 days clean you are not alone xx

ps. Be careful about posting your job details particularly if you work for GOVT .. for your own sake you don’t want to stuff up your career 

• Posted

Hi Nathan , Haven't seen anything more from you recently , How are you doing ?

• Posted

Hi Mary, 

Pretty sure Nathan was going on deployment with the army so may not be able to get in touch, hoping he is going ok though. 

• Posted

Thank you , Hope you are OK too ?

I am so glad I am off the co - codamol and I can see now just how much pain it was masking but doing OK with cbd oil to a certain extent .

• Posted

Hi Mary! Yep I’m the same I’m 21 days in and I feel better now than I have had in years!! I’ve still got pain that drives me crazy at times but I have started back seeing an injury therapist and the light exercises with gentle manipulation is working great the light pain I still get I use panadol for and even then the thought of popping them turns me off after the years of pill popping I’ve done. Feeling great and so positive for my future. I honestly feel like my life has just began again, better than ever!! Glad your doing well too it’s a good feeling to be free of the pills. 
  • Posted

Hi, 

Thanks for these posts. I’m coming off codeine from tomorrow and I’m feeling anxious thinking about it. 

I first started taking codeine in sept 2014 when I had bad flare up of pancreatitis. After 4 flare ups over the past few years, codeine has become a crutch in my life and I cannot remember what I was like off codeine. 

I’d say I’ve been taking it most days for the past 2 years. 60mg every morning and sometimes another 30mg or 60mg in the afternoon. I’m a teacher. I wake up and the thought of the day fills me with dread and codeine perks me up, makes me feel normal and enables me to get on with my day. 

I don’t want to rely on this drug anymore. I do feel it’s a losing battle as I do suffer from pancreatitis pain from time to time and do need painkillers but I know I need to stop taking them when I’m well. I’m in the UK and have codeine prescribed as well as stronger painkillers too. 

I joined this site because of your post Nathan and wanted to post seen as you’re going trough this at a similar time to me. (So many posts I see are years old!). I’m 27 and need to sort my life out! The most I’ve managed is 12 days without codeine (Easter 2017). 

Hope you all are well! 

Jamie 

• Posted

Hi Jamie, 

Yep we have all been where you are at! It’s not a fun place but just stay strong try tapper off them if going Cold Turkey isn’t an option. I totally get the whole facing the day, I too was the same I was working 18hr shifts as a chef and it was the only think picking me up to keep me going, unfortunately it’s a trend in the industry I have since discovered and not a good one!! I’m just glad I have been able to take myself out of being a statistic! I did though quite my position as head chef and took on something more manageable for me as I also have three kids to care for so it was a case of long shifts coming home longer nights with kids and the pills where what kept me going!  I’m now 21 days free of Codeine and life looks great! Keep trying and keep pushing foward and stay mentally strong know within your self your stronger than the drug at hand. Let us know how u go. 

• Posted

Hi there I think we are nearly at the same...I’m on day 20 now and even though it had been tough....I think the fact that I can’t get my hands on them had strengthened my resolve..I don’t have any cravings at all. Whenever I feel less energetic I have been having berocca...and that seemed to help me. But over all I’m pretty impressed with my progress and seeing as I was coming off a 15 year addiction I’m over the moon. Glad you are doing well also...I’ve been following this thread from the beginning 😀

• Posted

Well done Renae im glad you're going strong! It feels great not having to worry about going to different chemists to get codeine. with 20 day past you are well and truly over the hardest part! 

• Posted

Hi Jamie

First time I’ve been on this site! I’m 42 hours off codine. I have never felt ill like it. I have had sickness never off the toilet the cramps are excruciating that I need to hold my breath till they pass.

My fiancé has just stopped and got me buscopan for cramps, can’t remember what it’s called to stop me going to the toilet and nytol to help me sleep tonight!! He thinks I have norovirus.

I used to take 20-30 tablets a day and I wonder how I ever got myself in this situation. I am a Mum but I know I’m not the best Mum I can be on these nasty pills.

I just really hope I can push through these awful w/d to become a better mummy and fiancé again!

Keep strong

• Posted

Hi Ashley , I know it's horrid but it does get better , you've got this far and well done , life is much better without codeine and I am so glad I came off and did cold turkey , you will soon have your life back and you will be the mummy you want to be , it sounds like you got a good man there, stick with it , all the best , hugs

• Posted

Hi Jamie how are you going? those pills are nasty and im so glad i've kicked them to the curb! being a mum must be hard withdrawing will having a little one to care for.

If you want to ever chat about tips or anything just msg me anytime ok!

thank care 

Nathan....

• Posted

Hi guys sorry i haven't been around as i have been away for work! well its all over for me im totally free off all withdrawal and feeling great! I didn't even have any real symptoms at all which surprised me, but i guess weening down over the last month must off helped. I hope you guys are getting thru it ok and msg me if you want to talk. I want to thank everyone for their support as it really helped me thru this...

Nathan 

• Posted

Hi Nathan , I am so happy for you, well done , have a wonderful life .

All the Best

Mary

• Posted

Thanks Mary you have been a big help the same as everone else! how are you going? is everthing ok?
    • Posted

Hi Nathan, I am taking CBD oil (cannabis without THC )

because I have loeys-dietz and I can't take much else, that's how I landed upon codeine .

Take care

Mary

• Posted

Hey Nathan, 

Well done and welcome to the side of freedom from it all..! Glad things went well and not to many dramas for you! It’s amazing what a strong mind and body can do! 

• Posted

Thanks Neena you're surport has been amazing and i feel like a new man! cheers

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.