Im about to cold turkey from codeine and im scared!

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi from Australia guys and girls! Ive been addicted to codeine for about 10yrs taking up to 60 tabs a day which is crazy i know, but ive go down over the last week to about 10.

Here in Australia codeine has been banned from sales due to the affects on ppls live which is a good move BUT!! has forced me to go cold turkey as im not getting a script for it i refuse!!

Now im about to detox from it and it frightens me as i am a full time worker who cannot take time off from work, so life is about to get hard real fast! And what worries me is how i will perform at work. Ive read a lot off the story's on here and it great to see ppl have kicked this nasty habit, but now its my turn to step up to the plate! ive just deposed off the last off my tabs so with in 12-24hrs it begins.

Anyway its Saturday atm and in a few days ill find out how strong i really am and all i can say is, id be liying if i said im not scared.

cheers

Nathan..... 

0 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi,

After reading your post I felt the need to comment.

Im currently on day three of cold turkey from Co codamol. Admitting, I wasn't taking the amount you were but taking about 60mg four times a day for the last three years.

The withdrawals haven't actually been that bad so far, I'm achy and tired but I have three children and I am able to function normally so far. Be prepared fotr a bad stomach so get yourself some immodium, I've also been taking paracetmol and ibuprofen for the aches and pains. I just feel a little run down and quite tired.

Feel free to message me and we can support another. I heard the first couple of days are the hardests and to be fair. I 3 been desperate to get of the Co codamol, I think that has helped me persevere.

Good luck and you can do it xx

• Posted

Im thinking about you Dawn keep at it sweety! Its though going but im sure you have been through worst:-)
  • Posted

A person i know from a friend had the same problem off codeine abuse and he told me he got onto Suboxone which contains Buprenorphine/naloxone! The first is what relieves the withdrawals by tricking the opioid receptors into thinking they have had its fix and Naloxone reverses the opioid action by neutralizing it! Its often given to ppl that have od and the effects are immediate! Pls consider these options if going CT hasn't worked as he said its a life saver...literally

Nath...  

• Posted

Hello,

I am a newby here!!

I am also from Australia too!

I've been addicted to these pills for a year now.

I was taking up to 10 a day but have tapered down to 4 a day.

But I think I am just gonna bite bullet and go cold turkey.

I am sick of these pills controlling my life. I am so ashamed of myself for being addicted to these pills.

I hope everyone is doing well

You are all so amazing for kicking this habit xox

• Posted

Hi Melissa going cold turkey will be hard! I was lucky to get on to suboxone which stops all withdrawals completely. Im now finally off everything and have returned back to normality but i'd recommend you talk with someone like a Dr for treatment, but if you are going CT there are things you can do to lessen the uncomfortableness! 

Tapering down is the best way to go about it so if that's a option id go with it as it will be alot easier then just stopping which is hell

?Good luck Melissa..... 

• Posted

Thank you for your advice!

I manged to get through the cold turkey it was real tough but I did it!!

It's been almost a week and I feel great besides the restlessness at night!

I hope you are doing well!!

• Posted

Thanks Mel, and i happy to hear that your getting thru it just fine! Restless nights are hard i know but there's light at the end of the tunnel! and it will all be worth it.

Cheers Nathan... 

• Posted

Nathan can i ask, how you find Suboxone? and how long did it take to come off that?

I went to my GP who referred me to a service and they have offered this as an option.

• Posted

Andy Suboxone is great as there's no side effects that im aware off! plus it stopped all withdrawal craving instantly! It's definitely the best option i feel.

It took me about 2mth from start to finished on Suboxone and i weaned myself down to nothing by the end off two months! Don't rush those stay on as long as you need to come off codeine which could be as long as 5 months or more.

Cheers

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.