Im losing my sanity fast

Posted , 12 users are following.

My right ear is thumping on and off...sounds like thunder or heavy drums.

Can't sleep,cant concentrate and I'm getting on everyone's nerves.

The doctor at the hospital emergency said I got trapped fluid behind the drum.The next day it went to town with drumming.....i want to end my life,I can't take it anymore! 

1 like, 189 replies

189 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Tasha, join the club.  Have you managed to find all the posts on this Forum with people suffering the same.  I've suffered this condition on and off since the 1980's.  You've got Eustachian Tube Dysfunction.  It could potentially take months and months to clear.  Sometimes when fluid (mucus) is left there it can turn bacterial.  Usually, you'd get an earache, like I did when this occurs.  How long has it been that your ear/ears got blocked and what do you think caused it ?  Do you suffer allergies ?  The only quick solution to your problem, if you've had it a long time is to ask your GP for Prednisolone.  I know they don't like prescribing these tablets, however, it's the only quick answer if it's been groaning on and on.  I've recently finished a 20 day reducing course and it worked and I'm still clear at the moment.  I suffer allergies and sinusitis, all of which can cause this problem.

I use Flixonase twice daily and take Citrizine antihistamine.

I hope you are able to get help for this miserable condition, that's extremely dibilitating.

Regards Anne

• Posted

It started late last month.i have been back and forth to the doctors this year.One says i had fluid in both ears..two months went by Another doc says my tubes were swollen..then a month went by and now this.They all kept giving me generic flonase and citrizine.I get allergies but i can afford any thing to help it calm down.Even just an accidental burp sets it off.I cant sleep with a dud thump jolting me awake every once in a while.last week it cut me a rest twice.I need something to take my mind off it...before i wind up in a straightjacket
    • Posted

I cant take steroids because of high blood pressure.Prednisolone is off the table.
    • Posted

I'm so sorry, Hang in there Tasha. Sometimes it takes a while to figure out what is going on...don't panic yet, most problems eventually clear up on their own. If not, there are a lot of options available. 

• Posted

im trying to hang in there.My mom is getting tired of me coming to her every time the thumping starts
    • Posted

Tensor tympani or stapedium muscle makes thumps or flutters. Nightmare. Supposedly they calm down over time. Facebook has a group on this. They give flonias or steroids. Its so awful. It will calm down. If  stressed out it makes it worse. I have read so much in this, seems they dint do anything and allow a lot,of time to heal it. Then there are some drs..far far and few betweem who will cut the muscles so they can do that. You cant fix that ince dine and can have bad side effects.
    • Posted

I did some reading a while back about tynsor tympani. Magnesium is suppposed to be helpful.
  • Posted

Hi Tasha.  Did the emergency room doctor give you any meds or advice?  Did any of your doctors recommend a diuretic (water pill)?  If there is fluid buildup in your inner/middle ear a diuretic is usually effective in pulling it out and will help control the tinnitus (noises) you hear.  Most diuretic prescriptions for inner/middle ear problems start at 25mg once/day but can vary between 25-75 mg. I currently take 75mg for control of Meniere's Disease.  Diuretic cost is reasonable for a 30 day quantity.  Your regular doctor or ENT (ear/nose/throat) doctor can prescribe.  It's obvious that things are quite bad for you right now and your energy is limited...especially on making decisions, but if you really want to find a solution you need to contact your doctor....preferably an ENT for additional advice.

Good luck and please let us know if any of the advice we provide proves helpful to you.

• Posted

My mom offered her fluid pills she just got.i dont know if it will intreact to allergy pills.I might take that tomorrow,I was prescribed zyrtec,but you know its gonna be genetic.The rumbling usually happens when i burp or get over worked or doing nothing that much.I have a hot and a cold humidifiers.The hot one slowed it down some.Until i accidentallly burped.The thumping ceased(knock on wood) for a while now.Im taking it slow but my paranoia is rattled at the moment cause this is new to me.
  • Posted

Tasha, it is always a bad idea to use someone else's prescriptions but know that a diuretic can be taken with an anitihistimine and/or steroid nasal spray like Flonase....but you really need to see an ENT doctor.  I presume you are in the USA (you said $70) and do not have health insurance....correct?  If your finances are so tight that you can not go to your regular doctor I suggest you return to the emergency room and give them update on your physical and psycological situation.  Request a hearing test and an exam by the ENT on call.  Also ask them for a sedative to calm your nerves (which will also help reduce the tinnitus) and if they think a diuretic will be effective in your case.  GOOD LUCK!

• Posted

i had took furosemide before for extreme leg swelling and it flushed it all out.The emergency folks said that if it keeps happening go to an audiologist.More money i dont have cause i live under the proverty line.Dallas is not as kind as you think in the health department.I got rejected from free clinics because of zipcode.So im basically a special case in the lost medical world.I guess i start writing a will..cause i lost hope in this.
    • Posted

that's sad....have you applied for medicaid? I do not know how Texas handles medicaid requests....here in Pennsylvania it is very easy to get.  But with Trumpcare on the horizen it will likely become more difficult for deserving folks like you to receive basic health care.   Nevertheless, it appears your only option, then, is to return to emergency room and make requests (plus a psychologist interview) mentioned above.  I hope you do this because it sounds like you are despirate and really need help.  Nothing we can say on this forum will be more helpful to you than seeing an ENT and getting the correct medicare diagnosis/care for your physical and emotional stress.  Again I wish you the very best....but YOU need to do it! 

• Posted

Unless youre disabled or pregnant or have babies you cant get medicaid here.The health care thing sucks in south dallas.Everyone i know just buy herbal or supplements because the doctors and specialits are very expensive.I already wasted enough money already just to keep up with survival.The ENT is a special clinic here that can only get a refferal from a primary doctor ...that i dont have.I talk to a nurse yesterday on the phone to get into a new clinic but i have to be put on a four month waiting list.Emergency ENT's are rare here.And now im stuck waiting for months until its too late and i succumb to it all

• Posted

i guess everyone gave up on me
    • Posted

No one is giving up on u😊Hang in there. They are learning more every day about how to help with this terrible condition.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.