Imipramine

Posted , 3 users are following.

My  headaches for which this last month have come back with a vengeance , been on Amitrypline 10mg but last month a GP told me to stop them cause they were not working and referred me to a physiotherapist which I went last Friday and she said I have knots in my neck and need a good massage every month but she said it will takes months to work, which is nice but the headaches are bad and I am popping pills like smarties, been to another  GP this morning about them and he was brilliant and said I should go back on something and gave me imipramine , I have never heard of them he said they are of the same family as Amitrypline , scared to take them as  I am struggling with my weight and afraid to put more weight on but as he said whats worse headaches or weight gain, does any one have any advice of experience on this please  

thanks

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Be wary of taking to many pills for head pain,I took paracetamol,and ended up with tinnitus(ringing in the ears ).Cranial osteopath said best to just drink water,as it's the brain needing more fluid,the brain tightens due to lack of fluid,hence head pain. So drink lots of plain water is my advice. I'm surprised a medical persons not told you that.Try it Won't harm you water,better than ending up with tinnitus as I have,I rarely see a paracetamol.I have rhinitis lot of pain with that,but I reach for water.i start my day with it.I had severe head pain from a virus so I do know what head pain is believe me. So start today drinking enough of it.
  • Posted

hi caroline i have been diagnosed chronic tension headaches and on amitryptiline 3 x 10 mg.  Started on 2 x 10 mg and that worked for a while.  Now I am on 3  X 10 mg and fell desperate today.  Pain back of neck, then all over my head and affecting the eyes like eyestrain.  It aint good and out of desperation i thought i would enrol on a forum.  I am thinking of seeing my doctor again ...amitryptiline have been a godsend ...but today i need to have a rethink.

If I feel an onset I take anadin original for headaches, which contains caffeine and I dont know why but sometimes this is enough to help.  Actually I just 5 mins ago taken 2 anadin original for headaches (with cafeine in the ingredients) and oh joy there is improvement...my headaches is there but i feel a lot better.  Hope this helps. 

• Posted

Karen19211

I was on Amitryptline for a few months and they were great but they seemed to wear off, one GP told me to stop them and referred me to a Physio, but  weeks  later they were too bad too deal with, so I returned to another GP who was brilliant and said I shouldnt suffer and said try the Imipramine as it is less sedating,  today after one tablet I feel werid but was told it takes a while to work and still have the headaches, I hope they start to work soon and stay working and also dont make me put on weight,  hate being on them but these headaches are horrible x

• Posted

I have had physio and with in 2 days of being back at work ..cried with pain...  Soldiering on I go swimming (backstroke is recommended) and for me it can break the cycle, but sometimes like today....this morning I have been ironing and I think for me this action is a trigger for my headaches for, but since I am a careworker in the community I have to  do it.. I have read walking is good and can help...I am always in the car driving so this is something for me I need to fit in to my day.  And my last recommendation is Pilates... with Lynne Robinson who for years despaired with chronic tension headaches at ever getting better ..I would recommend Body ControL, The Pilates Way realigns body posture and is recommended by physiotherapists, osteopaths and chiropractors.  After this message I am going to give it another try..Pilates is something I neglect but go back to when ill, then kick myself wondering why stop when it can be so effective.. It has worked wonders for my back problems.  Some of the exercises suit and some can seem to exasperate the problem so its a case of using sound judgement.  Hope this helps but apart from that I may ask my doctor for 40 mg of amitryptiline.. regards Karen x

• Posted

hi again, water is good.  I always try to keep well hydrated but if it is chronic tension headaches..in my case I have had neck and shoulder injuries, but the headaches came on after long nights studying and hours at the computer so in my case I view it like sciatica for the back and legs, believing that pilates or physio is a possible panacea which releases trapped nerves.  I also get muscular pain at the back around the shoulder blades which I really wouldnt know was there, but can feel it when I touch it.  If physio is recommended sounds postural..but I have these headaches and each day ...my neck crunches with movement but I still live in hope ...I need to try simple walking as well as, or pilates.  I did walk for about 1/2 hour previously and remembering feeling really good.  PS my physio said she has had chronic tension headaches and tries to think about her posture.  Hope this helps.  Best wishes Karen x

• Posted

Karen19211

my neck crunches big time, I dont think they know really what it is, wether it is hormonal, or what but all I know it hurts to the point it makes me feel sick, I do do exercises for the neck as given by my Physio , I dont really drink alot of water , should start , on HRT and I am hoping and praying it is that but have suffered headaches on and off for years, god I wish and hope these pills will help, not having any side effects and all be good x

• Posted

Hi i take amitryptiline at night before bed and seem to be okay.  I have heard it can make some people really sleepy the next day.  If I get a headache starting early afternoon, sometimes morning I go back to bed and usually sleep...Sleep seems to help so I try to keep regular time for bed and at moment I am trying going to bed earlier because I am having headaches again and to me, they come and seem to hang around for a few days, week and arent easy to manage.  Life has changed and for me its about managing my condition which doesnt always go as I expect, but i keep trying.  What else can we do sad
    • Posted

Yes  I do get regular sleep and sometimes I do fall alseep about 3 ish for 1/2 hour,  I hope these pills will help and after a few physio sessionsI will feel better what else can I do xx
  • Posted

Hi actually with chronic tension headaches, which for me can start at the back of the neck and radiate upwards to all ove,r I think laying down to support the head takes the strain of the neck area to help alleviate problems...again sometimes this works really well and then sometimes it doesnt.  What I do know is when I feel really well it always takes me by surprise when I get an onset again..and feel back to square one .. except the longer they continue the more informed you become and hopefully somewhere in that information is the key .. even if it is meds...I love the meds and I never worry about taking the meds, without the meds I'd be in agony smile

• Posted

karen 19211

well lets hope these pills help and I hope your will continueto help, thanks for all your replys x

• Posted

In my experience doctors dont seem to give much away but if you have neck crunching like I do then possibly, if you havent had an injury could be wear and tear on the neck..in which case clutching at straws if docs wont send you for a scan, xray (they havent me) could try glucosamine which helps with joints, or codliver oil...but I dont seem to think in my case that its one particular approach but several and I have a long term view approach to this condition.  I am hoping to come off the meds in the future using different approaches but at the moment it is something to strive for ...  Having a set back motivates me to try anything, anything which may bring about relief so I can resume a relatively normal life..including uping the meds.  How long have you been having these headaches? 

I have had them for over a year now and seem to have good spells and then I am reminded not to forget that they are managed not cured..at least for now...hope lingers on.  I have seen special pillows for chronic tension headaches and even used a neck brace around the home to support my neck and head.  Desperation leads me to try anything to avoid the pain and to see if I cant have the better of this condition.  I hope all this info helps and good luck.  

• Posted

Hi Caroline. my name is Mel. my headaches started in 2011 for no apparent reason and it was suggested that they were tension headaches and like you were put on 10mg of amitriptyline but think they have stopped working as i have had the same headache now since monday, sitting here in tears and had a complete gutsfull. i have taken eight tablets today already to no avail and even my jaw, cheekbones, ears and eye sockets hurt too and i have also started being sick with mine. my doctors are rubbish to be honest with you and havent even suggested to look into why i am getting these. nothing seems to work. i am getting desperate. anyone suggest pills that actually work. please!!!!!!!
    • Posted

Melanie92461

I have started to have Physio but that is every month but in the mean time I was still in pain, hense why  i went back to the GP and he said nothing to why I am getting them just told me I needed to take something other than over the counter painkillers , he suggested Imipramine and to go back and see him in a month and if the dont work he may try Gabapentin, I wouldjust love something to work and continue to work but also to know why I get these headaches, you need to go back to your GP and tell them they have stopped working and need help x

• Posted

Hi Caroline. Went to see GP this morning after crying myself to sleep last night. Told to double up on my amitriptyline and gave me Amlodipine beta blockers and told my heart is racing too fast and blood pressure up again.  Like you they dont even seem bothered why they started in the first place. Up until the end of 2011 when I had five viruses after the other I was fit and healthy and happy, now as soon as my head and face starts I seem to dive into a depression. Will go back Tuesday to see GP as she wants to know how I am getting on. Keep you posted.

Thanks for replying.

• Posted

I have suffered all my adult life with headaches, was told it was hormal, had a Total Hysterectomy at the end of Dec 2012 put straight on HRT was ok for a while but then headaches started to creep back, then last Xmas they came back with avengence, was given antibiotic but never worked, then after Xmas was given Amitrypline which worked for a few months but then a month or so ago they stopped working, told to stop them and referred for Physio but still having real bad headaches hence why this week I went back to GP and was given Imipramine to try for a month and see how I go but I would love to know WHY do I continue to have the headaches , I do hope they help you xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.