Immediate revision after initial surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

I just had my right foot done on Feb. 26. At my post-op appointment, the x-rays showed that the screw had moved and the first metatarsal had rolled out of place, SO I'm having it redone tomorrow. Anyone else have a similar situation? I was able to bear weight after surgery although it was minimal. The doctor says he doesn't think it was anything i did but that he did notice my bones were a bit soft. He also said i need to follow up with my primary care doctor to look into possible osteoporosis.

I'm worried that this next surgery is going to be way more involved and that my recovery won't be as easy as i though this first one should have been.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

i just had my right foot done february 12, i didnt have screws put it, my surgeon used staples instead. usually when you have a surgery where there is screws, rods, staples etc, your not supposed to put any weight on the surgical foot because the bones dont set for 6-8 weeks.

• Posted

im a little over 3 weeks post op and just got cleared to walk on my heel ( only with my surgical boot on) i wouldnt put any weight on the surgical foot after your surgery. even if he says you can, dont take the chance! I m sorry this happened to you and now you have to have another surgery done! i wish you the best of luck! feel free to keep me updated.

• Posted

Hi hun I had my feets done on the 11 February and I am haveing my pins out on the 26 march can you tell me if it hurts as I am so scared

• Posted

I have my pins out on the 26 march I am so scared keep waking up thinking about it so can sumone help me doz it hurts

• Posted

i honestly dont know, i have never heard of them taking the pins out, usually they keep them in there to hold the bones together. i have staples holding my bones together that will be in my foot forever. im sure it wont be as bad as the first surgery!

• Posted

I follow a forum on Facebook and some say it's fine....some take a couple of pain killers just before to be on the safe side...

• Posted

ohh wow!! thats interesting, yea i wouldnt worry about it, they will be easier coming out than going in! take some pain meds like you said before the surgery . i hope everything goes well for you! please keep me posted on how everythint goes!!

• Posted

I've had revision surgery on both of my feet... twice on my left...the latest was in December last year...previous one was March 1st same year....

I had my metalwork removed and screws reset in my 2nd/3rd toes....

In all i've had 5 foot operations in 4 years and always been told that it's essential walking only for the first 2 weeks....so bathroom and back to elevating...

after my 2 week-ish check ups i've been told to still keep weight bearing to a minimum....it takes 6 weeks for the bones to start to heal....

you'll have a better understanding of what's involved when you've had your revision surgery done...

Rest up, elevate.....and take time to recover...

• Posted

im sorry, i thought you had a bunion removed lol.

• Posted

Hi can sumone help me please I have my bunon and toes done and I have pin in my toes I have them out on the 26 march can you tell me if they hert I am so scared and i can not sleep for worrying about it don't like things like this can they give me sumthink for it

• Posted

So I had the surgery yesterday. He said the the bone collapsed where he had put the screw in and the first metatarsal dislocated. He had to put in a plate and attach it with multiple screws. He also used some synthetic bone material to hopefully help with fusing and healing. I'm so glad he didn't do a regular bone graft from my heel because that would have been so painful as far as recovery.

I'm in a soft cast that has a strong splint and can't bear any weight this time. I really hope this works because I'm a teacher and can't miss too much work.

• Posted

At my 6 week post OP check up my Dr revealed that my joint had a nonunion. Another surgery was scheduled for 3 weeks later. At my one week post OP check up my Dr revealed that the 2nd bone in my toe had not been straight when the pin was put in. After seeing the xray it was just a little off, it was so crooked that there was no way possible for it to heal correctly. He removed the pin and attempted to realign the bone with no success and a great deal of pain. He started saying stuff about a bone graft so I decided it was time to get a 2nd opinion. The new Dr has attempted to realign my toe twice over the last 2 weeks and wants to try again tomorrow. He has me keep my foot totally wrapped so I cant see if my toe is looking straighter. I'm terrified. My insurance has so many steps to follow to see another dr. I dont know what to do. I took a sneak peek of my toe today because it was hurting so bad and it doesnt look good. Any advice from anyone is appreciated.image

• Posted

How can you tell if there's a nonunion? Can it be seen on x-rays?

I am still non weight bearing for another week (that makes 3 after 2nd surgery). I wonder how much longer it will be. I'm in a boot, though, so maybe I'll at least be able to walk a little.

• Posted

My Dr. saw it on an x-ray. But I had pain and swelling around that joint that was much worse than it should have been. Don't worry, nonunion doesn't happen very often. Stay off foot as much as possible to help the union heal correctly. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.