In confusion for Gall bladder removal surgery

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi..

I am a Male, 29 years old and single.. I have been recently diagnosed with 2 stones in my gall bladder and doctor has adviced me to go for gall bladder removal surgery.

I am really worried now whether i should go ahead with this surgery or not.

and concerned about after surgery complications keeping in mind my age.

Plz guide me if there is any other alternative. what should i dooo....

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

YOu should seek a second opinion. Gall stones can be removed by ultrasound and sometimes when an endescope is used they can remove stones. It depends how big the stones are. You can do gall-Bladder flushes (details on the internet) but you need to find out from doctors why it is so compelling to remove your gall-bladder. I have done a gall-bladder flush twicw when I was in my 40's and the first time it released 39 gall-stones and the second time 2 weeks later only a few. I still have my gall-bladder although nobody ever tried to take it out as I do not go to the doctors very often. Spend time on researching diffrent answers. The problem with a site so dedicated to western medicine is that your answers are going to come from people who are versed in this system. Doctors remove a lot of gall-bladders but whether there really is a pressing need to remove so many is open to scrutiny. If the organ itself is healthy with just a few stones that are small enough to remove then your doctor/doctors should explain thoroughly why they need to remove your gall-bladder.
    • Posted

I wa diagnosed with a 2cm stone in my gall bladder but was advised not to go in for surgery.  What type of gallbladder flush did you use for yours ? Please advise.

• Posted

I did one that someone advised me about years ago. It was based on drinking organic apple juice like aspinall's every day with my normal diet for a week and then using epsom salts to empty the bowels after a lunch of fuit and then in the eveinng, just fruit juice, the empsom salts again and then drinking a cup of virgin oilve oil before going to bed, either on its own or combined with the same amount of freshly pressed lemon juice. You then go to bed and lie on your  side and pull up your right leg up to your chest to open the liver. If you get through any nausea and then fall asleep great and then in the morning you double the epson salts dose and whatever is going to come out will come out.

There are simpler ones on the internet and you need to know exactly what to do and not just make it up. There is a book somewhere that has a lot of information about Liver and gall-bladder flushes. Hoiwever be very clear that you need to know what your stones are. I had one friend who did a lot of research and carried out quite a few flushes because he was told that he needed to have his gall-bladder out. He felt great but was drinking quite a lot of alcohlol and eventually had an emergency hospitalisation and it was all touch and go for a week or so and then they removed his gall-bladder a few months later.

You need to reseach this thoroughly and also make sure that you read this link http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/flushes.html it has a view from a doctor about what constitutes real hard stones as opposed to softer material in the gall-bladder. 

• Posted

Your reply to Clare came to my emails Sandy.I was only commenting on my experience of having gall bladder removal.Which was very positive.So your alternative methods dont apply to me.Sorry
    • Posted

Hi Valerie 

once you comment on a discussion you get sent everybody else's comments that are posted .. So don't worry . 

Sally 

• Posted

Thanks for telling me that Sally i never knew that.I just thought someone had replied in length and it had gone to me by mistake.Thats what i get for being a newbie lol.
    • Posted

Hi sandy

Thanks for the information.

i shall study options like endescopy and gallbladder flushes suggested by you and shall the discuss the same with my doctor.

My pain is quite severe and repetitive and as per the reports multiple stones of size 4.12-5.9 mm are there in gall bladder.

• Posted

Hi 

you will read about side effects of surgery on this forum because if your op goes smoothly you won't be searching the net. 

But the majority go well .

are you having symptoms attacks of sickness, pain across ribs and back general nausea and bilious feeling after eating . Colic attacks when a stone gets stuck or tries to be passed is like heart attack pain.. You feel faint sweat don't know what to do with the pain ..climbing the walls literally ... 

Gall stones can be managed with low fat diet , no caffeine no spicy foods. Rosemary Conley invented her diet to avoid surgery for a while. 

Basically your gallbladder concentrates bile from the liver and when you eat fatty rich food your stomach requests an extra dose of bile your gallbladder squeezes it out and then ouch your gallstones get squeezed they rub on the inside of your gallbladder making it sore or worse they get squeezed out slightly get stuck absolute agony ....and if they remain stuck jaundice and emergency surgery.....

so it's your decision diet (strict diet) to prevent your gallbladder being used a lot . With a constant risk of an attack . Or removal with a good success rate with no further diet restrictions or attacks.

basically most of us were climbing the walls in agony by the time we were operated on and so desperate for removal.

my surgeon said the lemon juice and olive oil and Epsom salt old wives tale treatment doesn't make you pass the gall stones. He said the olive oil coagulates into balls ou pass them and think it's gallstones and upset your gallbladder in the process... 

Your decision... My surgery worked I feel so so much better smile  but I suffered undiagnosed for 15 years propberly from around your age ... 

• Posted

Hi sally

I am going through the same pain which you have mentioned.." sickness, pain across ribs and back general nausea and bilious feeling after eating . Colic attacks when a stone gets stuck or tries to be passed is like heart attack pain.. You feel faint sweat don't know what to do with the pain ..climbing the walls literally"

My pain is severe and repititive and as per the reports multiple stones of size 4.12-5.9 mm are there in gall bladder.

• Posted

Hi, what were all your symptoms before surgery? I get pain more near the belly naval area when I press. Not under the right ribs. I have a 1cm stone but some doctors don't think it's my gallbladder. 

• Posted

There isn't really another alternative there are things that may or may not aleviate the symptoms for you .... you could go low fat no dairy but your young to give up a food group and if you didn't need surgery they wouldn't reccomend it as it's all about cost on the NHS
  • Posted

For me I prefer not to do surgery as I have been reading about so many complications.  I would prefer to go in for gall-bladder flushes.

• Posted

Hi am 68 female and had gall bladder removal 4 years ago.The op was straight forward and no complications (these are rare) After the op there was an expected unwell feeling and a bit of soreness.This lasted about a week and after that i was fine.It was such a relief having the op no more very painful  pains and being sick.If your doctor had said you need the op go ahead you got nothing to fear and everything to gain.If i can have it done at my age and be alright,a young person like you it would be a walk in the park.Hope this helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.