In love with an anxiety sufferer

Posted , 7 users are following.

My fiancee suffers acute anxiety as a result of childhood mental abuse. When an issue arises it drags with it every preceding issue leading to a major problem. Not being as good as I could be I sometimes cause these issues by thoughtlessness etc. What is the best course of action for us both when these problems arise. I would be heartbroken to lose her.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Engage and understand her position. Has she sought help for the past issues?

Id imagine its easy to overlook some things in your position as you havent gone through the issues she has - so dont kick yourself over it. But equally - maybe ask her how else can you help her?

• Posted

Yes, she has been having help with her issues for some time now. I find that anything that happens in the now is magnified through the lens of the past and becomes a much bigger issue than it really need be.
  • Posted

Is she on medication?
    • Posted

Dont force it its not even a cure and then she has to go through withdrawals. They dont work forever. Better she learns about it and battles it. She will have to either way. Understand her core is not like yours. Her foundation of life is not a solid one thats why it contines on thru her life. When her mind surfs to locate a coping mechanism for a situation her memories and experiences are not positive so the coping skills are poor or fair at best. Each life experience we have is built upon another, so even if one is faulty life still goes on adding another layer uoon layer and so on. This is why i say the one true thing you can ever provide to her is compassion. Absolutely she needs to learn self calming techniques and go through therapy to readjust her poor past coping mechanism or at least recognize them.
  • Posted

Sorry my computer is having a paddy!!!!

Meds are not for everyone and it is great she has your support.

Cosider therapy it teaches you how to cope with anxiety its not a cure

Exercise meditation a good diet drink plenty water are all good.

Take care of her and stay strong both of youcool

• Posted

Compassion. Anyone with an anxiety disorder is a bright, loving, sincere person. Very aware of their bodies and most likely will be very aware of your needs as well. Learn mindfullness and then you can help her a ton. Compassion is the answer to your question. 
  • Posted

has she explained exactly what she is going through?

does she have a therapist or a counsellor or someone who is trained to help?

• Posted

Yes. She goes to group every week. Yes in some ways
    • Posted

that's good, maybe you should consider going with her to show support?
    • Posted

I'm not allowed in. It's a group session by referral only, but I do take her and collect her
    • Posted

well it seems like you're doing a lot to help as it is, it seems like you're a very supportive partner. 

maybe you can find a group or a therapist to help you help your partner better and understand her more, right?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.