In my Week 1 After TKR

Posted , 16 users are following.

I had my tkr on my right knee last Wednesday and returned home on Saturday. I'm 57. Of course, like all, one day is fantastic and then you have a bad night, but I'm already pleased I had the operation. I have a couple of questions that I would like others to give me their experience on:

1. It feels as if my whole day and evening is taken up with exercises as my pt said I have to do them every hour and then a walk every two hours, followed by an ice pack. The booklet says 3-4 times a day, which seems more realistic. I've settled on 7-8 times a day. Each session is about 15 mins.

2. Painkillers- I'm taking 2 x 500mg paracetamol with the option of an additional 1 to 2 dihydrocodeine tablets. I've been needing 1 of those each time and sometimes the 2nd one too. Is that too much, should I try harder to reduce it?

Thanks for any help those of you beyond week 1 can give me. I still can't lift my right leg up off my bed without the help of my dressing gown cord and the PT seems to think I should. Although some of the exercises do bring tears when I'm more tired, I am persevering.

Denise

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Denise, don`t despair ! Everything you describe is `normal` - whatever that means.

About 3 weeks ago I posted some info that you may find useful. `Be prepared - for home` (don`t know how to put a link in). 

i find that lack of sleep is the worst thing to deal with. At 6 weeks post-op I still only get about 2 hour blocks at a time - but everything else is improving ! You will find that you can suddenly do something that seemed impossible yesterday.

And, yes, physio advice differs a lot - listen to them, try, then listen to what your body tells you - because it knows best !

Stick with it and good luck.

• Posted

Thank you Tony. Even just the two days on from my post, I feel so much better. It's really quite amazing. Hard work that is definitely worth the benefits. Good luck continuing yours.

• Posted

My physio told me if the pain after exercise does not go away in 20 minutes to stop the exercises as the healing process is not far enough. as I have already posted I did not really do many exercises. I had knee swelling, burning for around 15 weeks, did start to improve after 10 weeks. I am now 19 weeks after my operation, walking even running for planes is ok, but knee / leg still swells when on my feet all day, but recovers over night.

I really reccommend hot baths and icing as pain killers made me sick, it was my only relief.

good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.