In plaster for ten weeks now following talonavicular fusion.Anyone else in plaster so long?

Posted , 34 users are following.

thought I would be in plaster for six weeks following op then in a walker boot. Feeling very down as I still can't walk very well and the end doesn't seem anywhere in sight!

1 like, 107 replies

107 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thanks to everyone who has posted.  It has helped me tremendously.  Had my talonavicular joint fusion, plus some tendon repair on Sept 30.  My expectations for recovery were so totally off base.  I'm out of my 8 weeks of castings, and into my first week of boot.  I had no idea the pain would last so long.  I had some nerve damage due to surgery, so on top of the swelling, I have tingling and numbness and when I was in the cast, some burning sensation. It took me 5 weeks to get off the oxy at nighttime...just so I could get some sleep.  Thank God I'm retired, and have good help at home.  I certainly wasn't expecting to be laying around with my leg elevated for 2 months...and now it looks like for much longer. Anyway..thanks for letting me vent.  I'm trying to stay positive...this blog helps.....And now that I've found you, and have lots of time to use the internet...I'll keep in touch.  Would love to hear how everyone is doing, and what stage you are in your recovery

• Posted

Well, since you so kindly asked for updates, I have a major one. This morning, three months to the day since the surgery, I took a shower standing up! We have a tub to step over so I've been cautious, but O Lord did it ever feel good! 

• Posted

That's very encouraging...congrats!  Hoping for the same experience for you today.  All your (pl) responses give me some perspective, which is most helpful.  Bottom line...some days are better than others at this point (9 weeks post surgery).  Two steps forward and one back seems to be the rule.  I have been going to a wonderful neuromuscular therapist for years for other issues.  I went to him yesterday and he spent 1 1/2 hrs massaging my calf muscles....now that I'm out of the cast. The rest of the day was probably the best I've had so far...meaning I was up and walking in my boot for about 10-20 minutes total.  This morning...very sore calf muscles, but the stiffness in my foot seems to have shifted slightly...even a tiny bit of the numbness in my toes has dissipated.  I will post updates as I determine whether or not the nmt helps. Thinking that the muscles, nerves in the calf, which have not been used for 2 months, needed some stimulation, which in turn "talked to" the muscles, nerves in my foot.  There was def some referral to the foot when he was working on my leg.  Am hoping I am on to something here.

• Posted

That's awesome!!!

I actually did the same thing on thanksgiving, and it was fantastic!!

I still have to sit to shave my legs though!

• Posted

I know what you mean by the two steps forward and one step back, there were some days when it felt one step forward and two back.

Now that you are in the boot and WB make sure that you keep that foot moving.

Are you in PT?

I know that I started massage therapy and acupuncture again and it had helped.

Best of luck my thoughts are with you!!

• Posted

Thanks for the encouragement, Kathy.  Dr said PT can start at week 12... if needed!  I do need to try to walk more.  Glad you added that.  Right now it's the book and a walker/cane when I do get up.  Can't imagine putting full weight on it anytime soon.  I'm also wearing a compression stocking during the day, which seems to help a bit too.

• Posted

One more question for everybody.... about pain meds and anti inflammatory OTC's. I am weaning myself off gabapenten, which was prescribed for nerve pain 3 weeks ago ( mostly because I hate taking RX's) and have been taking Advil and Tylenol to get through the day and night. It certainly doesn't come close to making me comfortable, but I can tolerate the discomfort.   Does this sound about right?

• Posted

Yes over the counter meds are ok but do not come close to the real pain meds, but I like you did not want to take anymore. I find that aleve and taking only 2 every 8 hours worked for me, but I now only have one kidney and guess this can be hard on this part of body. So I take tylenol 8 hr and its ok, just dulls what pain I have
    • Posted

Sounds about right.  I definately am going to get my liver enzymes checked. I can understand your caution...an added concern.  I'm taking all these shared stories to heart.  It certainly has lessened my worries about where I thought I should be at this point in recovery...putting things in better perspective.  Thanks for sharing

• Posted

Tomorrow is one week in walking boot and it is another story, have been doing as much as I can for the holidays, but foot does swell alot even if I am off of it and still have all the neuropathy especially in my big toe. So hopefully another week and this will settle down. Keep in touch
    • Posted

I'm also finishing my first week in a walking boot.  Funny about the big toe...same issue for me!  My other toes settled down after the cast was off.  I did try to walk more today.  I figured I can have pain laying down as well as walking...just not overdoing it.  I actually did a few odds and ends, and it felt so good to be doing something normal. Hope things improve for you (all of us) so we can participate in some holiday events.

• Posted

Just checking in with you.  I did have a slightly better week last week, but still had a few rough nights.  After talking to my NMT yesterday, I became aware that nerve sheath swelling (pain)is different from the pain caused by normal swelling around the fused joint .  I have started icing big time late in the day and at bedtime to alleviate the nerve pain I have been experiencing...it seems to be helping a lot.  Hopeful are finding yourself improving. 
    • Posted

I am so glad to hear from you especially the ice thing, I guess since I did not have any swelling I discontinued it I do really well during the day and nerve impulse is much better but at nights its like they all wake up when I lay down so I will definitely get on the ice today to see if this settles it down any. I have walked around our block everyday slow but steady. And It does seem to help but I am just so fatigued after doing such little tasks that I use to do at the drop of a hat. So trying to build up my stamina. Do alittle set alittle. Looks like we are still at the same place, so keep in touch and continue your road to good heallth,
  • Posted

Same surgery, with an added fusion of the calcaneal joint, on August 29. Soft cast until September 14; hard cast until October 12; boot 24/7 until November 7; now just boot during the day and not at night (yay!). I expect to be released to a shoe on December 12, but can't quite imagine what shoe will fit as my foot swells quite a bit. It IS a long haul and a few times I've wondered if it was worth it. Then I work hard to remember that I was using a cane before the surgery. So ... hang in there and let's wish each other well. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.