In plaster for ten weeks now following talonavicular fusion.Anyone else in plaster so long?

Posted , 34 users are following.

thought I would be in plaster for six weeks following op then in a walker boot. Feeling very down as I still can't walk very well and the end doesn't seem anywhere in sight!

1 like, 107 replies

107 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Yes, 10 weeks and in walking  boot for 4 weeks and fitted for arizona brace which I am scheduled for Dec 19th, and will start Physical Therapy. Yes Long recovery and mentally hard to take. They fail to tell you how long recovery will be. But have heard for all symptoms to subside can take up to a year. It would definitely depend on your age and health. So hang in there and keep in touch. Happy Holidays
    • Posted

What has your pain been like?  I was expecting the tightness, but the shooting pains, the tenderness in parts of my foot no where near the surgical site, and the nerve pain in my toes, I was not expecting.  Am trying to wean myself off gabapentin, which was prescribed 3 weeks ago for nerve pain.  Am taking Advil for the swelling/ inflammation...but I don't think it is doing much good.  Yikes!  I sound like a real whiner, but I'm not normally.  I like to be active and positive, but this has got me really down.

• Posted

I had so much nerve discomfort it was like I would b so sleepy from lack of that my dr put me on a lower dose pain med just for nights to help me get thru the nights anyway. And finally I went off as of Nov 18th, still alot of bug running aroung in my foot but these are nerve ending trying to reconnect. I was up on my foot alot the last two days and it has started bothering me more, so do alittle and set with foot up for alittle.  I worked up until I had this done so definiely know how you feel and cry at the drop of a hat, so try and stay positive and know we have all been where you are.
    • Posted

The Holiday is all most upon us, how are you doing. I have been doing really well but still in boot until Monday, then it will be a arizona brace inside my shoe and physical therapy will start. Pain is zero, tiny bits of nerve sensations, so hopefully the worst is over. Hope you are doing well also, so Happy Holidays to you and your family.
    • Posted

We are on the same schedule!  I go to the dr Monday also, and it should be the last of my boot.  I believe he told me I could start PT then...no mention of any brace.  I have been experimenting walking without the boot to see how it feels...just around the bedroom.  It doesn't seem painful ( stiff..YES!) but I still have constant tingling and numbness in my toes, no matter if I'm sitting or walking.  I am hoping when I am walking more without a boot, the motion will start massaging those poor nerves and he numbness will go away.  It is very annoying, but not painful...thank goodness!  Most days I don't even need a Tylenol...so I def see a light at the end of the tunnel.  It's been quite the long slog, right?  I need to have the right foot done also....but can't even start to think about that till next year.  Also, I believe the neuromuscular therapy is helping a lot, so I will continue that.  So nice to finally be getting back to feeling like myself.  It will be a Merry Christmas...grateful for the little things in life.  Best to you and yours

• Posted

To Margw and Cheryl96314,

Glad to hear that you're both doing well and that the boots are coming off it's a great day for sure!!!

During pt they will massage the foot to get those nerves and the scar to get healing even more (at least that's what they're doing for me). I still have swelling and the nerves are coming back and my incision took a lot longer to heal so they are finally able to work on that too.

I went back to work today after 15 and half weeks, it was fantastic to be back. I was mostly sitting due to the fact that I have about 30 trainings to do since I've been off.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Have a fantastic holiday season!!!

• Posted

Glad to hear you are doing so well, yes it will be a Hooray Day getting this boot off but not nearly has bad as wearing that cast for 10 weeks., I am a Nanny to a 4 month old so need to get this foot in infant running shape as she won't b inactive for too much longer. So continue your road to full recovery and keep in touch, Merry Christmas to you and your family 

• Posted

Well how is your first day without boot. I had a hard time finding a shoe to actually fit onto my foot. I am to alternate shoe and boot for 3 months and to change as often as needed depending on how tired my ankle gets. I will start PT next week but today it has not bothered me at all with the shoe, but probably will pay the price tomorrow, just feel like when I got my bifocals, I am always stepping up to find a step. Dr said it has healed perfectly and can start exercising just no extreme sports, like at 70 that is a thought. I told him there needed to be disclaimer on this surgery regarding the amount of depression you will go thru, he just smiled and said its like telling someone who is pregnant what birth is like. LOL hope you are doing well
    • Posted

Well, it IS liberating to be in a shoe...my sneaker, laced loosely fits fine.  Walking is stiff...but I expected that.  The tingling and numbness is still my major complaint, tho doc said that as my calf muscles strengthen and start pumping blood more efficiently, that should improve. I'm icing a lot.  Baby steps. I start PT today.  

I love the comment your doctor made...and he is probably right on!  I also wanted to give my dr advice, and probably will in 6 weeks when I see him again, but I guess the birth analogy is a good one..it is different for everyone...no need to tell horror stories when everyone's experience will be a little different.  So my plan is to keep walking to strengthen my leg, do as much as I can and not worry about the rest.  I look back to only a week ago, and I can see an improvement...so I take heart in that.  Thank you...and everyone else who has shared stories.  This blog has been a blessing.  I have been so relieved to know I wasn't alone in my misery!  Merry Christmas Cheryl...hope you continue to do well.

• Posted

Just checking in to see how you're doing.  I'm at exactly 15 weeks post surgery.  This recovery seems to be taking FOREVER!  Here's where I'm at:

walking with a limp and a cane for balance ( tho I don't use a cane around the house...just when I go out).  PT 3x a week, where he does a foot massage, manual twisting and turning, and strengthening exercises with a theraband.  As far as the feeling in my foot...it is still pretty tight..especially when I try to wiggle my toes or flex my foot...but I wouldn't say it is painful.  My big toe and the one next to it are the weakest.  How are you feeling, managing?

• Posted

Hi margw , im currently 10weeks post op for talonavicular fusion doc decided for 12weeks in cast im currently in a weight bearing cast which i have been for 2 weeks but id like to know what does it feel like for you as im still having a great deal of pain near fusion site and i know that this op eliminates side to side movement but just slight movement and it hurts i was just wondering what it should be like at this point any info would help thanks
    • Posted

You made it thru the Holidays I see, I was put in an arizona boot which fits inside my shoe but pulled on my heal so bad. 1000 dollars down the drain. I did not have to go to PT only for an eval, what they would do I can do at home., I am back to work and today walked 3 mile in my own shoes, like you say very stiff and my knee on the bad foot side is giving me fits., so that will probably be next., I still have a numb big toe, and hopefully more natural foot movement will come with time., so it looks like we are still in that race to the end. Do hope this is better for summer as I love my garden. Nice to ear from you keep in touch
  • Posted

Ann & everyone else who's had talo navicular fusion here is my update. My surgery was March 30 & as of yesterday November 27, 2016 the pain across my foot where the surgery was and in the arch area has disappeared. I have no idea why. I have been traveling for the last month and walking a lot, resting mid day with my leg up to alieve the swelling, even taking two extra strength Tylenol after every meal for about a week. It has been uncomfortable but I did it. I still have the swelling but the pain has essentially gone. The dr said it may take a year or two for the swelling to b completely gone. I did wear 3" high heels to dinner the other night, didn't hurt.

I am so excited about this change that I had to tell you. I will b home mid December and I have an apt with the dr.

Best to everyone. Happy Hollidays, Karran

• Posted

Hi, I had my talonavicular fused in 2005. Just had the screws removed about 7 weeks ago cos I was in loads of pain. Now I have had them out I am still in loads of pain so obviously the op hasn't worked. Surgeon did say my bones in foot are very arthritic and will possibly need another fusion !! Not looking forward to it let me tell you ! Hope your back on your feet soon cos I know from experience how hard it is. Take care x

• Posted

Did your doctor do a bone graft with the fusion? That's what mine is planning to do. I'm not sure if he always does that or if it's because of the arthritis that destroyed the joint.

• Posted

You need to ask your doctor why he is doing a bone graft. He is the one who knows! Don't be afraid to.

Bone grafts are done in fusions where there is wear and tear in the bone which needs to be filled in. That's one reason

All the very best with the op.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.