In plaster for ten weeks now following talonavicular fusion.Anyone else in plaster so long?

Posted , 34 users are following.

thought I would be in plaster for six weeks following op then in a walker boot. Feeling very down as I still can't walk very well and the end doesn't seem anywhere in sight!

1 like, 107 replies

107 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi i wonder if anyone can relate or give me some advice on 9/11/2015 i underwenr orif navicular right fooy with 2 screws was in cast for 8 weeks , boot for ages . Had ct scan 5 or 6 months later showed a non union , on the 7/11/16 i opted for talonavicular joint fusion for stress fracture im only 22 im also duck footed on that foot i limp when i used to walk , im currently only 4 weeks into nwb cast but id like some advice from people with similiar experience , will i ever be able to run again , also whay was the pain like after your surgery , ive never had full ROM so not bothered about the loss also have lateral foot pain , am so worried i dobt want to have to go through it a third time any advice will be helpful thankssmile

• Posted

Matthew, I hope that u r much better very soon. As u know every situation is different. But there r a couple things we do have control over & change:

A well balanced diet with plenty of vegetables, fruits, protein & carbs.

Use supplements where your diet is missing.

Walk & maintain strength in the rest of your body.

I am 72 years old & now 8 months after my talonavicular fusion my foot doesn't swell. I am fortunate that I have good bones, the fusion took place quickly & is now rock solid. I only have two small staples in my foot.

Karran

• Posted

Thanks for your reply and yes your right everuone is different , how long did yours take to actually fuse ? Did it alter the way you walk aswell at the moment im only 6 weeks post op very early days just yet although the pain after the op as reduced but it still hurts in that area if you know what i mean, i just hope in the long run ive made the right desicion my main goal is to be able to walk and run pain free as i suppose thats every bodys hope lol , also are you still in any pain.

Thanks

Matthew

• Posted

Matthew, I was 10 weeks in cast, then 6 weeks in a boot. March 30 was my surgery & I can honestly say that I no longer have my prior pain. I have gone thru occasional sharp pain in the arch & incision area ( a part of the healing process) but Nov.27 even that pain stopped. Matt this is a long process, u must b patient. Listen to your dr. But b proactive & ask questions. U should b able to do all the things u want to do.

My walk is normal. I do limp when I get tired. I can say that after a month long trip out of the country walking up & down hills & irregularly my anchle is bothering me (tendinitis). My dr suggested wearing my boot for a couple days to give those muscles a rest. It works.

Karran

• Posted

It doesnt sound like your doing too bad to be fair ive had this problem since i was around 11 dragged me down all these years. 10 weeks is long but nothing compares if it works and relieves the pain i have follow up on 29th for xray and hopefully transfer into boot which will be 8weeks but we will see , there is something id like to ask you tho if you lay in bed and slighty try to move your foot inside how does it feel for you , atm if i try to do it im gettin pain but in time will it become so stiff that u cant move it atall or will it lock if you know wht im trying to say , also think ill need my calcenous fused aswell have had subtalar joint pain aswell for the same period of time or could be peroneal tendons not 100% sure yet.

Thanks for replying its very supportive to know im not alone with this smile

Merry xmas x

• Posted

Matthew, yes, I sure hope this works for u. U r so young for all these issues. My foot problem started from a car accident when u was 18 when I dislocated all the bones in my right foot. Fortunately I had a fabulous dr who thru closed surgery put my bones back. That lasted until a few years ago when I rolled my foot. Anyway that's how I hit to this point.

Stop playing with your foot. Let it heal: the bones, tendons, muscles etc. Do leg raises & any exercises your therapist suggests for the rest of your body. U must keep yourself strong.

Yes when I got the cast off I never thiughtvmy foot would b normal - would ever move normally.

Matthew please make sure u have all the nutrients your body needs. U have been thru trama and for example I needed more vitamin D3 & Calcium. A simple blood test will determine if u r deficient. If not then continue taking care of yourself.

Merry Christmas, Karran

• Posted

Please someone help me im 13 post op talo navicular fusion i came out the cast after 12 weeks 2/2/17 ive been put into the boot but when i lift my foot towards my leg i have pain on inside my ankle bone my posterior tibial tendon also i cant weight bear even in the boot its killing me. My calf is really small aswell . Has anyone had the after there fusion or is something wrong please help thanks

Matthew

• Posted

I'm not that far along in the process yet, but it sounds like your calf muscles got really small and weak from your leg being in a cast for so long. I've read other posts where people said that their leg was so weak after getting the cast off that they couldn't walk at first. You might talk to your doctor about physical therapy or Google some leg exercises that you can do while sitting or leaning on a support. I know that there are exercises with bands that are useful. Stretching gently may also help. Good luck. I'm still at least two weeks away from getting my cast removed.

• Posted

How many weeks post op are you and di u have a talo navi fusion i saw physio today for assesment they gave me some towel stretches to do laying down because i cant calf strech yet still worried but am just impatient and cant stand this pain its worse because before the op i could walk and now cant even weight bear
    • Posted

My talonavicular fusion was only 4 weeks ago. I got my cast changed today and I was amazed at how small my calf has already gotten. If all goes well I'll move from the fiberglass cast to a walking boot for partial weight-bearing in two weeks. At least, that's the plan. Patience is hard, but in the long run a few more weeks isn't that much in a lifetime. Generally, I've found that surgeries on legs and feet take about a year to recover from completely. If you keep that in mind it will help. Thinking it should have happened yesterday will only make you depressed.

• Posted

Hi. I'm 34 years old and was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis at 18. I think it has finally gotten the best of me. I have met with 2 different surgeons who have confirmed that I need this fusion surgery. Honestly, I am scared to death. I have read every post and they have all been very helpful. I'm wondering if anyone out here who has had the surgery has small kids? I am a single mom of a 4 year old who starts kindergarten this year and my family is 5 hours away. I'm wondering what the day to do is like? I see talks of walkers and knee scooters. Is it realistic of me to think I'd be able to take care of her on my own after the first few weeks? I'm in constant pain with my feet and they now believe I might have nerve damage due to my joint being unstable. Both feet need it. We would do left first then right. Surgeon says 6 weeks hard cast then 6 weeks in a booth and then I'd start PT. I also work full time but it's a desk job. Wondering how long I would potentially be off work? I would appreciate anyone who could shine some light on this!

Thanks!

• Posted

I also had talonavicular fusion. I don't have young children, but I do have young grandsons that stay with us every weekend. They are 2 and 4 years old. Before the surgery I asked the other grandma to keep them the first 2 weekends after the surgery because I wasn't sure what to expect. I was actually up and around the house on a knee scooter pretty well the day after the surgery, but I stayed on a recliner and kept my foot elevated as told. After the fiberglass cast was put on at 2 weeks I was told that I didn't have to keep the foot elevated 24/7. That's when a lot of people with desk jobs go back to work.

I'm now 7 weeks post op. and to the partial weight bearing stage. The boys have been here on the weekends and sometimes during the week. Taking care of the 4 year old is no problem at all because he's very well behaved. He can actually help me fetch and carry a little bit. Taking care of the 2 year old has been a bit of a challenge because he has a bad case of being 2.

My biggest problem when I was non-weight bearing is that I couldn't do crutches more than a few feet at a time so I had to depend on my knee scooter. When I needed to drive somewhere I rode my knee scooter to the car and switched it out with the crutches I kept in the trunk. Then I used the crutches to get in the car. We have a small car so the knee scooter wouldn't fit in it. If you do ok on crutches you won't have to do all that, if you can drive at all. Of course, if it's your right foot that will be operated on you won't be driving.

I've had very little pain and most of it has involved the actual incision site as it healed. I only needed pain killers for a couple of days.

I hope all goes well for you!

• Posted

Thank you so much for your response! This has given me some insight as to what it will be like after surgery. The surgeon said the surgery is hard on patients who don't have children. Let alone for those who do. Sounds like a knee scooter will be a life saver. The biggest thing is getting her to school and then bathtime in the evenings but it sounds like you were pretty

Mobile afterwards. Makes me feel so much better about having the surgery! Thanks again for your response!

• Posted

I was able to do baths by putting the brake on the scooter and leaning over the tub. It's not my favorite way to do that, but it worked.

• Posted

Hi,I had my Talonvicular fusion and bone graft ,like everyone else I had a cast for two weeks and boot for another nine weeks ,the hire of a knee scooter was fantastic ,I had never even heard of one ! I then gravitated to one elbow crutch ,now I am able to get around quicker and walking better each day,I still use the boot on big shopping days ,I feel it has all been worthwhile because everyday seems a little better and no pain.essexgirl ,western austalia

still using boot for big shopping days I had mine was Four months ago ,I have very Iittle swelling now and am feeling good about it.Essexgirl,Western Australia

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.