Inability To Urinate Post Op

Posted , 15 users are following.

I recently had the Green light Laser Surgery.  I have been unable to urinate since then.  Everything they tried worked...ONCE!  Right after surgery I peed good then I had to force it out then that didn't even work.  Back to ER for cath.

Yesterday the cath came out and I was put on Bethanechol 25 mg 3X per day .  The first time I tried it it worked GREAT!  A real FIRE HOSE!  I thought, FINALLY, they have something that works.

Well, it stopped working yesterday afternoon and last night.  I happen to know for a fact that I produce 1,000 ml of urine over night. Sometimes as high as 1200.  It's morning and still no go which means my bladder is full.  It's off to the ER shortly.

I have asked several times to teach me self cath but they seen cold to the idea.

WHAT POSSIBLE REASON COULD THEY HAVE FOR THISC ATTITUDE?

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Tom

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Anytime the prostate is radiated or heated through the urethra there is going to be some tissue swelling for a while. This can last for several weeks. My swelling lasted for 5 weeks. I would be concerned if the blockage lasted longer than 3-4 weeks, but less than that is part of the process. Depends on the size of the prostate and treatment applied. For some, various laser treatments cause swelling for only a matter of days, not weeks. I am surprised your urologist didn't tell you there would be swelling and possible urinary blockage for a while. Maybe he did. 
  • Posted

One nice thing about HoLEP, there is no heating or radiating; the tissue is cut, 'morcelated' and removed.  I had no swelling or trouble urinating.  Prostate was 86 grams, now 45.  PSA was 3.8; now 0.2.  Have heard from no one on this blog that wasn't happy with HoLEP. 
    • Posted

So make a list and compare differences and similarities between HoLep and Greenlight and how would the list look. and what would be the fundamental differences in after surgery to how you physical function in terms of the prostate. ex. retrograde, urination volume,etc.
  • Posted

You may need to get flushed out to remove blood clots.  I had laser TURP five (5) months ago and now I have prostatitis and have been on antibiotics for almost five weeks.  Stream is still very weak and this totally sucks.  I know I will most likely have to be scoped and/or have something removed that is blocking the urethra. 
    • Posted

Scurry I am sorry you having this sucks Had to be flushed out a couple of months agao.  Had blood clogs around my prostate One broke and I coulld not pee.  Had to have a catheter put in and flushed but was still bleeding Had to have surgery there were 2 others that had to get rid of.  Bladder spasm hurt  Get it taking care of before something else goes wrong  Did you doctor say it was the turp that caused it  Ken  
    • Posted

I assume it had to be because of the surgery.  I don't look forward to going through the cath and/or cystoscope again. 
    • Posted

kenneth,

How long after surgery did you had problems with the blood clots and have to be flushed out.  How long after flushing did you have to wear the dreaded cath?  And THANKS for discussing this with me!

• Posted

I think it a shame that we go through a surgery that it's suppose to help and we end up with more problems.  Mine was done to my blood thinner that I am on.  I was told to stop it before I had my repair done.  My prostate got smaller and a year ago I had a Uro-lift done 4 implants 1 got loose and was cutting at the prostate.  Had the repair 1 replace and 3 tighten.  Had it done on friday and the catheter came out on monday.  I hate them but sometimes we have to.  I went back on my pill like i was told to do.  Was good all week.  Got up at 5AM on Sunday to go to the bathroom to pee.  I felt a rush and when I stood up the whole toliet was blood.  I called my doctor and got  a call from the urologist that was on call.  She said I may have broke a vein in the bladder to drink alot of water.  So I drink another bottle I had to go to the bathroom.  As I stood there all that was coming out was thick blood.. And I was in pain.  Called again and I was told to go to the hospital because I was bleeding from somewere and Had to have a catheter put in and get flush out.  I was not looking forward to have a catheter but to get rid of the pain.  OK.  By that time I started to have bladder spasm   The pain was out of this world and I was told it was my body trying to get the blood out.  I got to the hospital and was told I had to wait for a room. The doctor call and they do what was going on.  I was in the waiting room 3 hours before that took me to a room.  Everytime I moved I had a spasm.  Well this nurse came and got me took me to a room and I told her that I a under a urologists care and I have a stricture and nothing bigger then a 14fr coude catheher can be put in.  She told me that she had to go get one from the surgery department and to try to get on the bed.  Everytime I moved blood was coming out.  It was all over the bed on the side and on the floor.  I try to clean it up but I was in so much pain I just left it.  I got my pants off and got on the bed holding a towel on me because of the blood.  The nurse was very nice and she try to be reassureing.  I was giving morphine for the pain.  A male paramedic came in cause they have to have 2 in the room.  Well she said here we go. The first time she got the whole catheter in but not in the bladder and the guy asked were is it.  She said that it eiher curled up or made another hole.  Well I know that was not the case because I would have felt that.  She pulled it out some and turned it and it went in.  She blew up the baloon to get it in and they both started to flush me out.  She did it for 15 minutes and got alot of blood and bloods clogs I was still bleeding .  The urologist that was in the hospital call and told him what was going on.  I was they inform that I had to have emergency surgery.  I was scared to death.  I was fine one minute and they the other I'm bleeding and don't know why. In 10 minute I was signing papers and having surgery but before I did I had a talk with the doctor.  Had him sign a paper to that my prostate was to stay in tact and it was not to be removed.  I have heard many storys that you go in for one thing and come out missing something. He said no problem that this time I can keep my prostate.  I do not want to lose my prostate and end up with retro that way I had a Uro-lift.  Well he did the surgery took 3 hours and it turned out to be 3 blood clogs aroung my prostate.  When I sat down 1 broke.  He had to cauterize the clogs and I was in the hospital for 3 days.  He put in a 20 fr catheter which I was mad about.  He had to because I had a 24 flush.  6000cc of saline going through my bladder .  All is fine now thank god.  No more thing being force in me.  My blood thinner was lowered.  I was told that because I took the BT after the surgery that the clogs just got bigger I was off them for 2 weeks after the flush  Please go get it taking care of.  I hope all goes well I will say a prayer for you Take care  Ken.....         
    • Posted

I just wrote you a long reply but.  I had the Uro- lift done in April of 2015 was good until december of 2015 Had a kidney and prostate infection.  Was on cispro for a month 1000mg a day.  When I went in January to have the scope done that is when in found the problem.  6 weeks later I had the repair and then a week later I had the bladder spasms and had another surgery.  Ken 
  • Posted

Had catheter surgery Wednesday removed catheter today and I can not urinate What to do, I drank water, drank tea with lemon, ran cold water, ran hot water , what is next should I let them put a catheter back in.
    • Posted

Hi Mark,

Try walking around a little, that sometimes gets the detrussor's moving. Also, light rhymtic tapping on the bladder. Sometimes a change of position also helps. I had luck leaning back into a chair and urinating into a beaker. Bottom line is that if you can't urinate at all, you will need medical help. In that event, I would call your doctor very soon. Your short term alternative's are another Foley or having them teach you how to self cath.

Jim

• Posted

A hot (or warm) bath is a good idea and you can pee right into the bath water. Just don't wait too long because acute retention can turn into an emergency. Definitely do not go to sleep until you get it resolved one way or another.

• Posted

Yes that is the idea just to get him going.  If he does not want to take a bath a hot shower may work.  If that don't work he's going to have to go to the hospital or something.  That can be very paining  Take care  Ken

• Posted

Came back from urologist, he removed my catheter this morning at 11.00am, and I came home and I urinated about 4 ounces, than at 2 pm, another 3 oz and at 4pm about 3 oz, than he had me return to the office and I urinated in timing bowl and ultrasound of bladder was done. I urinated ok and he residual urine in bladder is 120ml, No blood in urine. He said to see him in 2 weeks. Retrograde ejaculation will be 100%.
    • Posted

Mark, I'm a little confused. Maybe it's your local times. 

Seven hours ago you wrote: "...Had catheter surgery Wednesday removed catheter today and I can not urinate What to do(?)..."

Are you saying that you were able to void at home after that post? And then you returned to his office for ultrasound? 

Jim

• Posted

Mark I did not mean anything by my last comment.  Did your doctor explain everything to you before the surgery.  Sometimes doctor downplay the retro and tell you all will be the same but there are men on this site that have had it done and end up with retro and sex is never the same some ever give it up sex because it's not enjoyable anymore.  There is a new Turp that is being done that will not cause retro.  You have to have a caring doctor that will take his time because it take a little longer to do it.  Well enough what done is done and if your happy that's all that matters.  I wish you well and happy healing  Ken  

• Posted

I guess when most of the prostate is cored out the ducts that carry the sperm have nothing to go into in, so it goes back into bladder. It is a destruction of a crucial portion of  male anatomy. is that it.? I talk in ignorance but I have to look at how the sperm is carried into or enters prostate and the prostate adds semen and you ejaculate. Explain it to me.. I appreciate what you said and the time you are taking to talk to me.
    • Posted

Well the way I can explaiin it is when he did your surgery.  He burn away the ejaculatory duct and opened up the bladder neck the sphincter.The sperm has no where to go.  When you have a orgasm the sphincter of the bladder closes but now it go into the bladder.  I don't know if you try sex yet but I hope your orgasm has not changed.  It sometime is very weak.  That is why some men stop having sex.  This is why I try to get men to get the information they need when they pic a procedure.  And it is why the mayo clinic is starting to do the turp that save the ducts and the bladder neck  I wish you well and I hope you heal fast.  I'm on most of the time if you like to chat  Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.