Inability To Urinate Post Op

Posted , 15 users are following.

I recently had the Green light Laser Surgery.  I have been unable to urinate since then.  Everything they tried worked...ONCE!  Right after surgery I peed good then I had to force it out then that didn't even work.  Back to ER for cath.

Yesterday the cath came out and I was put on Bethanechol 25 mg 3X per day .  The first time I tried it it worked GREAT!  A real FIRE HOSE!  I thought, FINALLY, they have something that works.

Well, it stopped working yesterday afternoon and last night.  I happen to know for a fact that I produce 1,000 ml of urine over night. Sometimes as high as 1200.  It's morning and still no go which means my bladder is full.  It's off to the ER shortly.

I have asked several times to teach me self cath but they seen cold to the idea.

WHAT POSSIBLE REASON COULD THEY HAVE FOR THISC ATTITUDE?

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Tom

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have had the same. 

BPH with green light surgery.

Doc did the surgery 2 weeks ago. 

Surgery was done in less than 20 minutes. 

Catheter put in

Next day went to remove the catheter. 

Could not pee so catheter was put back in. 

Then kept foley for 3 more days. 

Again removed foley in morning.

Could not pee so went to ER to put Foley back in. Now this time kept Foley for a week and in between had to rush to the ER because of paraphemosis.  

Foley was removed after a week. 

Could not pee. So given a rubber tube to self cath. Done self cathing for almost 13 times in last 3 days. 

Took another opinion from another urologist. Thinks that it is a failing bladder and need to do urodynamics to confirm.  Really frustrating. Dont know what to do. Self cathing is no fun. Can u guys recommend good catheters covered by medicare. 

• Posted

Hi r95,

I've been self cathing for over three years now. Certainly wasn't any "fun" in the beginning, but after a short while, things tend to get a whole lot better until it often becomes a non issue. 

Medicare will often cover up to 200 catheters a month. My favorite is the Speedicath manufactured by Coloplast. If you have an enlarged prostate, I'd start with size FR 14 and see how it goes. From there, you could either work up or down a size, or just stay with FR14. 

Speedicath comes in both a straight and coude (bent tip) model. I was recommended the coude model because they are designed to navigate around enlarged prostates without sticking into them. Some here prefer the straight model. Check with your urologist if knowledgeable, or try both. 

Jim

• Posted

Thanks Jim. Did you’re surgery go bad like mine did. 
    • Posted

Hi r95,

No, I never had surgery. The uro suggested TURP over three years ago but I decided to self cath instead. Still interested in current procedures, but so far haven't found anything that interests me. 

Jim

• Posted

Good decision Jim. Me nd Surgery didn’t go well and the doc has no answer for me. 

Thanks 

• Posted

In that time how much has your prostate grown ?

The bigger it is the longer and more difficult any procedure for you and the urologist..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.