Inappropriate sinus tachycardia questions

Posted , 11 users are following.

So I was diagnosed with ist in 2015

Most of my symptoms are controlled with meds until I eat then I get uncomfortable does anybody else experience this?

Also the doctor who diagnosed me said it usually goes away after about 5 years has anyone else heard this?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

That used to happen to me so I had to change my diet no pasta breads or potatoe do you have reflux or heartburn because that can cause the uncomfortable feeling or the feeling of your heart racing try smaller meals lots of veg and small amounts of meat and see how you go that helped me allot

• Posted

The vagus nerve runs through your body and lets your brain, heart, lungs, and digestive tract "talk" to each other for appropriate reactions to events.  For many people, eating can trigger heart symptoms.  I have IBS and when it acts up, I get more PVCs. I also think it has triggered V-tach in me, but no doctor will say that for sure. The interaction with the vagus nerve is a reality, but it's not well understood in the medical community, yet.  Sometimes the best you can do is to manage yourself. Do relaxation exercises, do regular exercise to keep intestinal gas moving along so it doesn't get trapped, eat smaller meals more often, and take good care of your intestinal tract-yogurt and other probiotics help keep the digestive tract calmer.  Have you ever notice that when some people get upset, they get instant intestinal tract problems.  That's the vagus nerve playing havoc on things. There is conclusive research that shows the gut and brain talk to and react to each other. Unfortunately, sometimes the heart is inappropriately affected by those messages, or one might have vagus nerve disfunction so that all messages are a bit corrupted.  Stay calm, eat smaller meals, and exercise moderately. I've been living with this whole problem for 30 years. The calmer I keep my IBS, the better I feel and the less heart reaction I get. Good luck!

• Posted

Oh man ur reply get me relaxed sorry for bad English because its not my first language. I am facing this problem since 1 year iam 22 year.

• Posted

Hi William, I suffered for 3 years, always taking medications, and yes after I eat I had the same experience, but since I got my ablation, everything changed, I am much better and I eat very healthy, that is another point, you have to take care about your diet, that will make a big difference, talk to your doctor if you can do an ablation, because that is the best decision that I did, i don't know why I wait three years, I wish I did it before. It changed my life.

• Posted

Thinking of talking to my Dr about an ablation cause I get to the point of contemplating suicide.

• Posted

Hi william48941,

We note from a recent post which you have made to our forum that you may be experiencing thoughts around self-harm. If we have misinterpreted your comments then we apologies for contacting you directly. But if you are having such thoughts then please note that you are not alone in this, and there are people out there that can help.

If you are having these suicidal thoughts then we strongly recommend you speak to someone who may be able to help. The Samaritans offer a safe space where you can talk openly about what you are going through. They can help you explore your options, understand your problems better, or just be there to listen.

Their contact details are on our patient information leaflet here: https://patient.info/health/dealing-with-suicidal-thoughts, which also offers lots of other advice on how you can access the help you may need.

If you are having such thoughts then please do reach out to the team at the Samaritans (or the other people detailed in our leaflet) who will understand what you're going through and will be able to help.

Kindest regards

Patient

• Posted

Hang in there William. You never know when a treatment will improve your condition or if it will get better. Stay positive before having such thoughts. Trust me, I know the feeling. I was a super active person until this happened to me. But I'm making big lifestyle changes and trying treatment. Give it a chance. Good luck.

• Posted

I was just diagnosed with this. I had SVT, ablation about 10 years ago.  I was fine for years until 2 years ago, then my heart started acting up again. Similar to SVT but not quite the same. My heart thumps in weird ways. Very uneasy feeling. Beta blockers are not really useful. I'm on Corlanor, just started. I'll see if it makes a difference. I'm also taking magnesium supplements. 

Now my cardiologist has said this does not go away on it's own. It's something I have to live with. Treated with just meds and lifestyle change. I might need a procedure if it gets worse. I hope your doctor is right. That means there is hope for me. I hate this and it is ruining my life. Please keep me posted of any news you get. Good luck. 

• Posted

My doctor prescribed me acebutelol, flordicort and paxil and honestly it gave me huge chunks of my life back I just have pains and palps and it flares up if I eat too much. Lately it's been worse though but I was fine for with those meds for almost 3 years now.

• Posted

Hi, 

I read your post and I have had a similar diagnosis and complication. I had SVT and ablation 3 years ago. My heart now beats super fast due to no particular reason and seems to worsen. Doctor said I have sinus tachycardia now.. Beta blockers haven't helped at all.  Struggling to find ways to keep it from beating abnormal. I don't understand how SVT was fixed now I have this.. Any suggestions or explanations? 

• Posted

I wish I had some answers. My condition keeps me from doing things I used to do. I do notice that if I eat too much or certain foods it will trigger my heart. Possibly the vagus nerve as I have researched about it. Beta blockers are useless. I've been taking Corlanor for about 6 months with very little if any results. I find it a strange drug to prescribe since it's primarily used for heart failure. Every day I also take: multi-vitamin, magnesium supplement, and fiber supplement. I am not sure if this has helped, but it hasn't made it any worse. I always keep a medical log documenting every episode, time, location and activity. I also track what foods I eat that may cause an episode. I've seen several cardiologists that special in this condition and they tell me the same thing. Not much they can do right now. (I live in New York City). I might inquire at the Cleveland Clinic, it was rated #1 in cardiology in the US. If it gets worse, I will most likely have to do that. I've also considered alternative medicine like acupuncture. This has gotten to the point where if a witch doctor waving a chicken foot over my face would help, I'd do it. 

What's your history with this? How old are you? 

• Posted

I notice heat like the weather or hot water triggers it, adrenaline, running, or if I get up quickly. I'm gluten free due to allergy so I would say diet is pretty clean but haven't considered certain foods may trigger it. It took doctors several years to figure out the SVT. I was seen at Mayo Clinic and now referred out to a heart hospital that is closer. I've seen multiple cardiologist and they pretty much say the same thing. "Avoid triggers" and now I'm in the process of trying a different medication, no luck with beta blocker. So I'm not sure what theyre going to prescribe.. Agreed, I feel the same way, I'm willing to try what ever to help it. Super active and want to be able to run & etc. without symptoms. 19yr 

• Posted

Same here, I try to avoid triggers but that pretty much involves increasing my heart rate. I do on occasion exert myself or play sports, but definitely not at the level I once did. Have you tried magnesium? I keep hearing it might help. I take it day by day. Sometimes in the middle of the night I wake up with my heart pounding for no reason whatsoever. But I stay prepared. I even wear a medical alert bracelet now. I keep my friends and family informed in the event I have a really bad episode in front of them. If you go down for some reason (probably very rare), you'd want people that are with you to inform first responders of your medical history. That will save them a lot of time figuring out what's going on. Have you inquired your doctor about a loop recorder? 

• Posted

I will definitely try magnesium. I haven't expirenced issues at night. I'm supposed to stay "stress & anxiety free" too.. which is impossible. I don't wear a medical alert bracelet (haven't gone down ever from it) but looks like a good idea. They talked to me about a loop recorder at the last visit but wanted to use holter monitor first. Which lead to  sinus tachycardia diagnosis. They still don't have answers for why the episodes are getting worse and more frequent. 

• Posted

I was lucky enough to get the best heart doctor there is about in the royal in Belfast. Seen someone said about beta blocks I have been taken them from I was diagnosed with svt I'm on a low doseage busbron 2.5 one a day and thank god it has helped me alot. Svt can be controlled I see on this forum people panicking and yes I know we're your coming from but see the more you panick the worse you will get. The night I found out I had this problem my heart was beating 248 BPM I was scared but I knew I was in the best place. The heart doctor who I seen that night put me in such a panick so he was told nicely by the doctor who was looking after me to leave. They done what they had to do shock heart etc and as I've said was lucky to get a very good heart doctor and put on a beta blockers. It was a shock to learn I had this problem from birth as I'm only 38. Check out the heart problems in your family back round for a start. I found it helped me and just change your life style abit

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.