Inappropriate sinus tachycardia questions

Posted , 11 users are following.

So I was diagnosed with ist in 2015

Most of my symptoms are controlled with meds until I eat then I get uncomfortable does anybody else experience this?

Also the doctor who diagnosed me said it usually goes away after about 5 years has anyone else heard this?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I was diagnosed today with IST. I am feeling frustrated about the entire situation. I was referred to a cardiologist by my primary care because I was having episodes of fainting and almost fainting so she did an EKG in her office. It came back as abnormal. I also had lost 42 pounds within a three month period.

The first thing the cardiologist did was put me on a beta blocker stating that it was a heart protectant and would help with my high blood pressure. He also prescribed me Nitroglycerin and told me to take an 81mg aspirin every night. Then cardiologist ran a battery of tests including a nuclear stress test and an echocardiogram. He said my stress did not show anything. He said the echocardiogram showed mild aortic valve regurgitation but that it should not be causing symptoms. The first day I took the Metoprolol it was too strong and put me in the floor so the cardiologist had me take a half dose. Unfortunately, the side effects of the Metoprolol made me suffer from constipation. Instead of complaining, I just added a fiber supplement and stool softener to my regimen each day.

I continued to have episodes where I would end up in the floor. So he then decided to have me wear a heart monitor for two weeks. After the end of the two weeks, the cardiologist told me that they did not really see anything of concern from the heart monitor.

I could not longer take the Metoprolol because of the side effects so the cardiologist then put me on Lisinopril. It was keeping my blood pressure down but was not helping with the chest pains. I had yet another episode where my heart rate went up to 155 bpm. So the cardiologist took me off of the Lisinopril and put me on Bystolic.

The cardiologist's PA said they wanted me to come in after a week on the Bystolic to discuss putting a loop recorder in to caught the episodes and see what was going on with my heart. I went in today and the cardiologist then tells me that he does not need to put a loop recorder in because he saw the IST when I was wearing the heart monitor. I wanted to say "Really, then why did you say you didn't see anything?" but I didn't. Now he wants me to take the Bystolic for three months to see if it will stop the episodes. He was aggravated that my body cannot handle the Metoprolol.

So my question is with high blood pressure, mild aortic valve regurgitation and now IST do these have anything to do with each other? Should I go to a different cardiologist for a second opinion? Is the normal for a cardiologist to act like all this is normal? I just want to feel good and have energy again. I cannot even walk up the stairs from my basement twice without getting short of breath.

Has anyone else been through this?

• Posted

I have what looks to be like IST too. Sitting around my heart rate is anywhere from high 80s to mid 90s. walking around can be at about 100 to 130 on a bad day. sleeping heart rate is high 60s.

I cant tolerate beta blockers at all. in fact i think it really messed up my CNS.

Im not sure if I have SVT on top of this but i do have a loop recorder implant and so far it hasnt picked up an SVT episode yet.

I got a 2nd opinion with another electrophysiologist and he suggested taking corlanor to help reset the sinus node. It seems promising for those with IST.

If you haven't seen an electrophysiologist i suggest you do. Not Just a general cardio

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.