Incision not healing so procedure will be done

Posted , 7 users are following.

Section of surgical incision from my left anterior THR has not healed like other sections have. Doctor is going to clean it out and close it again. He called me this afternoon to ask how I was and then decided it would be good to get the procedure done tomorrow morning after another surgery he has scheduled. So, an hour later I checked into the hospital. All pretests are done. Hoping this will solve the problem.

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I didn't go into OR.  My doctor, after checking out the incision this morning, decided not to have me deal with anesthesia or the surgical aspect. He said that the wound is healing (I think it looks awful) and will heal with treatment. At first he was going to have me continue the wet/dry bandage procedure but decided on a quicker healing process. I will have a visiting nurse come in a times a week who will change dressing for Negative Pressure Wound Therapy with a wound vac. It won't be set up until tomorrow at the earliest since the wound vac will be delivered to my home sometime tomorow. According to what I've read and been told by an OR nurse, it speeds up the healing process and it will be good to have professional checking on it. For me, I like that I won't have to be the one to do the dressing changes twice a day anymore.

Knowing it takes time, I will do my best to be patient.

• Posted

I would consider this a win..anytime you dont have to go thru anesthesia and surgery...sounds like you will be im good hands..stay positive....
    • Posted

Exactly what I was thinking this morning when decision was made.
    • Posted

I’m pleased that you haven’t got to go through surgery  again and I hope it all heals quickly.
    • Posted

Hi Dianne, after my surgery I developed a blister that went sceptic and in the end I had a huge hole 14cm long and 3cm deep for which I needed an operation to clean it up to get rid of the necrotic tissue. It was suggested I should have a negative pressure wound vac. I hope you have the PICO version as that is a lot smaller and does not make a noise apparently, the sound can be annoying at nights otherwise. Also you can have it attached to your leg instead of having to carry the machine around on your shoulder which is a real pain. It definitely improves the healing process. I was also told to eat lots of protein which also seems to have worked. 
    • Posted

I have no idea what machine will be used. Will be delivered to my home later today from what they told me at the hospital. Until then, I continue to use the wet/dry bandage method. Hope the machine isn't too cumbersome or noisy. Most important is to aid the healing process.

A friend of mine who is an OR nurse also told me about upping the amount of protein. I'll definitely do that. For me, it's lots of lentils and quinoa. I do eat dairy so the yogurt and cottage cheese. Fish, too. Will not be difficult to increase the amount especially now that I can cook more. I missed that in the beginning of my recovery. (My husband probably did, too.)

• Posted

Good luck, hope you have the machine that is not too cumbersome.
  • Posted

Good luck ??with your surgery and the treatment for the hip incision that has stubbornly refused to heal and proper healing thru the whole incision this time. 😊

keep us posted.

• Posted

Best of luck. Will he take culture to know what organism is growing if there is an infection?
    • Posted

No infection. I was just in the hospital because he was considering closing the wound. They did lots of tests so I'm good. I was also on preventative antibiotics for 2 weeks prior to that. While in hospital, after he did a clean out procedure, they gave me 2 bags of intravenous antibiotics, too. All good with that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.