Incision sensitivity forever?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi. I am a couple of weeks from reaching 9 months post op for TKR and things are going well or as expected by surgeon.

Before surgery my arthritic pain prevented kneeling (i love yoga) and I've been super stoked to be able to kneel again. But i still can't at this point without pain.

The pain however is stemming from my incision. It feels like I'm kneeling on broken glass. I'm guessing it's due to scar tissue? I was told early on to massage the scar to break up scar tissue, which i still do.

I am wondering if others experience this and if it changes at a certain point?

Thanks!

Bec

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi.  I'm almost 9 months post TKR... I still have some numbness around the scar and knee in general, but it's getting better. Kneeling....can only do it on my bed or on the couch facing the back. Tried on the floor. Not happening.  Not able to do squats or crouch. I am massaging the scar a couple of times a day with Bio Oil. Wish I'd started sooner.  Maybe the massage is helping some of the numbness go away.  Reading comments from those who had their knees done years ago gives us hope that in time it will be much better. 

• Posted

I'm at 17 months and there is still some numbness around the incision.  I doubt this will get better...too many nerves severed.  When kneeling on a hard surface, there is no pain from the actual implant (it's metal) but the discomfort is nerve related.  Don't know how much better this will get.  Inside, I always kneel on a pillow or at least 3" of foam.  Outside, I use padded tactical (SWAT) kneepads.  No problems with any pain with those techniques.  

Simply, the nerves were all cut and need to regenerate as best they can.  Back to a pre-op state?  Highly doubtful.

• Posted

Hi, glad to hear that ur doing well.  I know someone who is scheduled to have a knee replacement next month..  Any idea on how much assistance is needed at home after surgery from spouse/caregiver?   
    • Posted

Hi. When I had mine, my partner took a week off from work to help me. He was a big help to me, more supportive...helped me get in & out of the shower, and helped with meals as I was using the walker. I found that to be a major pain so I ditched that by day 8, and used my cane. I still needed help getting in and out of the shower (couldn't lift my leg over the side of the tub...I had a transfer bench, not able to stand right away to shower). I was pretty much on my own when he went back to work. It's nice to have someone there to help if you have that luxury. I know many that were totally on their own, and still managed.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.