Increase in meds, new vertigo experience

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has experienced what I did today. 

A week ago I had by betahistine doubled to 32mg 3x daily. Today I was washing up and felt the vertigo come on, I had to then crawl to my bedroom from the kitchen (one advantage of a flat) climbed into bed and within a minute or two it went, then around 10 minutes later another one came that lasted a couple of minutes. Since then I’ve been slightly off balance and feel as though there may be another around the corner. 

I’ve never had this before and wondered if anyone else had this after an increase in medication? Is it the fact the medication is working better? 

Many thanks in advance, 

Sarah 

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Sarah ,

When I first started with 16mg 3 Xs a day I experienced that also but my episodes lasted longer. Now they seemed to have diminished a bit.

• Posted

Hi Sarah it is the Bethistine probably kicking in it has to build up in your system before you feel the true effects the problem I have is the feeling of unbalance has stayed with me I have had Menieres for 3 decades now and experienced all sorts of symptoms Good Luck Sarah
  • Posted

I do not know why you are having these very short episodes of vertigo....doesn't appear to be "normal" MD vertigo which lasts longer.  The "shorter version"  could be sign of improvement brought about by the increased dosage.   Give the 32 mg dose more time....you should notice improvements soon. 

I'm curious to know if you had any side effects like rash or flushing when you doubled the betahistine dose.  I've found it best for me to increase dosage more gradually and over a longer period of time.

Please let us know how you are progressing after another week or so.

• Posted

Hi i have had a minor rash, although it’s not red. Just raised bumps on arms and upper legs. 

Was worse when I started on the 16mg, it doesn’t irritate me this time 

• Posted

Hi, well I’m a month into taking the increased dose now and I’m happy to say I’ve not had violent vertigo as yet. Although my usual period of absence is 8-9 weeks, and it’s been 4. 

The fullness disappeared for a while but is back on and off, tinnitus is so quiet I can only hear it if I tune in to it. Balance overall isn’t too bad but moments of dizziness are still present. Overall I’m better and have returned to work for two 13 hour shifts a week albeit they can be difficult. I’m hoping things will only get better. 

• Posted

I am exactly the same as you!

since increasing the Betahistine I am having episodes of vertigo for maybe a few seconds and then it eases.

Although it’s off putting I would rather this happen than the episodes of spinning, falling over then vomiting. I am always unsteady with poor balance but there seems to be nothing to alleviate this.

Goodluck. I hope you will feel better in time.

• Posted

Yes I have to agree with that. 

You know how it is when these new things arise it’s nice to know others have experienced it too. 

I’ve had to go back to work doing 13 hour shifts as I simply can’t afford to not work anymore. I can’t really risk getting an attack halfway through a medication round but I’m lost now as to what to do 

• Posted

Hello : Do you realize that betahistine actually makes you DIZZY ? Yes it does. So I got off of that all together. I Only take Meclyzine by Bonine. It has changed my world completely. So give it a try. You'll soon realize your pharmacist was right n the dr gave you too much of a drug that was designed to make you more dizzy.

• Posted

The only problem with that is it doesn’t relieve the ear pressure caused by the fluid so even though it prevents vomiting and helps with vertigo it won’t alleviate damage to hearing caused by Meniere’s attacks. Betahistine reduces the pressure somehow although the medical profession admit they don’t understand how so hearing is protected which is important to me and many other sufferers who already had significant hearing loss
    • Posted

Sorry, my computer is acting up. I agree with Christine as far as the meclazine, I took it a couple of times whene I got vertigo and went to bed! There’s no way I can take that drug or any other zofran, Ativan or meclazine without being a zombie. 

Ive. Even taking 16 betahistine only for a month but have t notice feeling any difference except haven’t had vertigo since July 30. So maybe it’s working in that respect. I never heard of betahistine causing dizziness. Guess everyone’s different. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Blazey09, Was the Meclyzine prescribe a doctor or you just pick it over the counter by yourself? Also how many do you take a day or you only take if you feel like something is coming on? 

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Mark: I work at a vet hospital, so I know a fair bit of meds. After speaking with my colleagues I decided to try the meclyzine as the pharmacist agreed that an active ingredient does in fact make you dizzy. Yes I take it for a few days when needed.
    • Posted

It may make you dizzy if you do not require that medication. 

I know they use many of the same medications in animals as humans but the actions are different and I would get advice from those trained to treat humans not animals, it’s the safest option 

• Posted

Hi Sarah. I am on 24x 3 per day and have been since January. It took about a month for symptoms to ease off. The vertigo stopped after a week it two and the ear pressure, hearing distortion and tinnitus gradually faded over the next two months. I now lead a normal life although my hearing isn’t good but it is no worse than before Meniere’s. My next review is in January and I may start to reduce the dosage after that. Patience. Things will improve. 
    • Posted

So pleased this has worked for you, I’m willing to give it time just any changes I like to check out with others. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.