Increase in meds, new vertigo experience

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has experienced what I did today. 

A week ago I had by betahistine doubled to 32mg 3x daily. Today I was washing up and felt the vertigo come on, I had to then crawl to my bedroom from the kitchen (one advantage of a flat) climbed into bed and within a minute or two it went, then around 10 minutes later another one came that lasted a couple of minutes. Since then I’ve been slightly off balance and feel as though there may be another around the corner. 

I’ve never had this before and wondered if anyone else had this after an increase in medication? Is it the fact the medication is working better? 

Many thanks in advance, 

Sarah 

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi all, I’ve been on 16 mg. 3 times of day. I don’t feel any different it’s been a month now. Although, I haven’t had any vertigo since July 30 I still have the loud noise in my right ear. I have no idea why it s so loud! The loudness comes and goes but always humming in both no matter what. 

Sarah, when I read your post I was thinking you better have your blood pressure checked as when I had my first stroke I was dizzy off and on before I realized it was a stroke and then I read everyone’s post that larger doses can make vertigo happen in spurts I have no  idea! Good luck all! Chris

• Posted

Luckily I’m a nurse and due to other meds I keep an eye on all of my vitals. 

When I first started on 16mg I had awful, almost unbearable, roaring in my ears it reduced slowly after about 6 weeks. 

• Posted

Hello Sarah: Do you realize that betahistine actually makes you DIZZY ? Yes it does. So I got off of that all together. I Only take Meclyzine by Bonine. It has changed my world completely. So give it a try. You'll soon realize your pharmacist was right n the dr gave you too much of a drug that was designed to make you more dizzy.

• Posted

Hi there, betahistine is a manufactured drug that increases blood flow to your ears specifically, if your body doesn’t react in the desired way then it won’t work for you. 

However, meclizine is not sold in the UK for a reason I’m guessing. I need to research this further, someone could take meclizine and it make them dizzy. 

It’s how individuals react to each drug that produces its desired effect, betahistine was not manufactured to back people dizzy, that is not its pharmacological action. 

I’m pleased you have found something that works for you and have found a way to control the horrible symptoms of this disease 

• Posted

I have had a chemical labyrinthictomy.  Since then I have had extreme vertigo triggered by certain medicine in the antibiotic or hydrocodone sphere.  Illness lasts for 24 hours. Really very sick. 
  • Posted

Help, its 4:30am. I jes woke up and I can't hear in my Left ear 😟 This has never happened before. I'm going to dr in am to get ears drained, then er if that doesn't work.

• Posted

This can be quite typical of a Meniere’s attack. Loss or decrease in hearing during an attack is normal. It’s not nice but it is expected. 

Try not to panic as it will make your symptoms worse 

• Posted

Oh Blazey, that's very disconcerting and really awful . But I think Sarah is right, it can be part of menieres. Hearing fluctuation is a symptom. That it happened all of a sudden though is perhaps unusual, so no harm going to dr to see if it's wax or something. But it sounds menieres to me. For the last 6 weeks I've been deaf to different degrees due to the terrible pressure in my ear. There are a bunch of other symptoms besides, but the hearing is the relevant one here. Do you have fullness or pressure in your ear?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.