Increased Appetite!!!!!!!

Posted , 12 users are following.

Help......... I have been on 30mirt for around 6 weeks now and I have put on nearly 2 stone I literally cannot stop eating, Ive always had a weight issue so this has put my self esteem at an all time low. How have others coped with this??

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi I have been on Mirtazapine for 3 weeks and I have put on 9 pounds but it only seems to be going on my tum, I don't do much exercise at all so I have joined a Gym and I'm starting Zumba class to see if I can maybe lose a little weight or if not tone what I have gained. I think you have to become strong willed and stop yourself from picking. I try and bulk my meals up with lots of veg. Sorry I can't be much help, good luck with it.

Karen

• Posted

I agree with Karen. There really is no way round it, you have to be strong-willed to minimise the weight gain at least. Fill up with healthy vegetables, don't allow sugary, fatty snacks in the house, snack on raw veggies instead. However, I have read on the forum that some people gain weight on mirtazapine regardless of how healthily they eat - but i've been lucky and not gained any weight in many years on the drug so it can't be inevitable. Sorry I can't be more helpful, but I think eating healthily is worth a try. Also tell yourself you are worth taking an effort for, and reward yourself with a treat (not chocolate!) when you have a better day.
  • Posted

Hi Jilloo, I too gained weight on mirtazapine. I gained a total of 20 lbs. I am very active every day as I look after horses but still I gained weight. Some of it is due to eating more as mirtazapine gives you a ravenous appetite, but it also has another effect; it interferes with the way you metabolise fat and lowers your metabolic weight. This means that even if you don't eat any more than usual, you will gain weight. There are some people that don't, but they are rare and very lucky!

But you CAN lose the weight whilst on mirt. The only way is by not having tempting treats in the house. Work out how many calories your body needs to stay the same (google calorie calculator), then deduct 300 calories from the total calories it says that you need, because when on mirt you need less, sadly. Then eat less than this and you will lose weight. If you work out, say 30 minutes on the cross trainer, you will burn around 450 calories, so doing this means you can eat a bit more. It's hard, but over the course of a year I lost over a stone whilst still on 30mg of mirt.

• Posted

Thank you for your advice evergreen, now I have to try put into action!!!! I have low confidence/self esteem and no motivation now fat not much goin for me is there!!!!
    • Posted

It's hard to fight the craving if you're a foodie or have had weight problems in the past, I'm all the above.  I put on 20 lbs +, it was as if something had taken over me and I was out of control.  

However, (hindsight is a wonderful thing !!) I realised that sugary foods or carbs lead to further agitation and restlessness whilst on Mirt, I would literally eat a bar of chocolate and within 20 minutes my legs would start twitching ~ "restless leg syndrome".  Also I believe it leads to anger issues, some think this is a side effect of Mirt', some think it is the combo of sugar with Mirt.

It is only now I'm down from 15 mg to 6 mg (as I'm tapering off slowly) that the desperate craving has virtually stopped, hoping to get back into some of my nice clothes later this year !!

I hope you can conquer the craving, for some it is worth it for the ability to be able to sleep after months of insomnia.  Bear in mind that this med is given to anorexics to help them to be able to eat !!

Wishing you well 

• Posted

Me too Jill. I gained 3 stone. My advise to you is get off them sooner rather than later because that appetite is not going to go away. 

Im on a gradual taper now and maybe I will need another AD, but this weight is causing me so many other health problems. Not to mention the self loathing with this ugly layer of fat.

I wish you luck. X

• Posted

Hi everyone, found this site whilst googling weight gain on mirt! Was prescribed 15mg by my GP for anxiety depression and insomnia on New YEars eve. As of today I have put on 20 lbs! I was fat to start with and this weight gain has now seen my BMI rise to over 40! God knows why anyone would prescribe mirt to someone already obese and with their first episode of depression.

The problem lies in the fact that for me at least it has been nothing short of a miracle in lifting my mood, calming my anxiety and giving me 8 wonderful hours of restful sleep.

No other side effects just the flipping weight gain! Have made a few half hearted attempts at weight loss once I felt it going on. Think I need a battle plan to see if there's anyway I can sort the weight issue out do can stay on it. Am starting tomorrow and will post my progress! If I can't control the weight I may have to consider swapping meds:-(

• Posted

Oh Jay I feel your pain!! It's awful, the harder I try the hungrier I feel and it seems to be carbs that I crave.

I was previously on sertlaline 150mg but had to come off as they were disagreeing with a certain bodily function!!! I wonder now that I am feeling better that I go back on them but at 100mg......this might solve it but I seriously have to do something. Have you tried any othe AD's?

• Posted

Hi Jill, I guess at least we're not alone! My GP originally prescribed citalopram but I only managed 6 days on those before changing to mirt. The citalopram made me extremely agitated ,"wired" and I stopped them when I found myself completely losing it with some poor woman in a white mini  who cut me up at a roundabout. Completely out of character for me so that scared me a bit and made me feel like I couldn't trust myself? 

Im worried about going back to the how things were and about trying a new med with new possible side effects. That's why I've decided to go all out for a week with the weightloss and see what happens

if only it was as easy as finding a med that works 

I've been doing some research on weightloss and mirt and I think some people have managed to shift weight whilst using a high fat low carb diet ( something about insulin resistance and the uptake of fat stores? Am definitely going to look into that. Will let you know if it works!

• Posted

I had a long thread on weight loss on mirtazapine. In summary, I founf that it was pointless dieting until the weight gain plateaued. This happens after around 6 months on the drug. Obviously, doo your best not to over eat as much as you can before then, but proper dieting is pretty much impossible. Then once you stop gaining (or the gain slows down greatly, which it will), get yourself some really accurate scales and write down every singlle calorie you eat or drink. Also make sure you do some exercise every day. Look up ho many calories you should need a day based on your sex, age, height, current weight, and exercise level. Now mirtazapine will actually lower this amount by 200-500 calories a day, so knock off 200 to start with. That is the number of calories you are allowed each day to stay the same weight. Then eat less than that. I managed to lose all my mirt weight with this method whilst I was still on 30mg of mirt. I was on it for a total of four years.
    • Posted

Hiya, thanks for the info, most of the stuff I've found on the internet says the same... mirt and weightloss not a winning combination, at least initally. It's just I have this nagging feeling that I can control my body if I set my mind to it. Think I'm defintaely feeling more positive as a result of the mirt lol

I can't tolerate the weight gain ( i'll end up with a BMI of 50+ at thia rate,so will change meds if  this week's efforts are futile!

• Posted

Hi Jay

This message is really personalised to you, bearing in mind that you had anxiety & sleep issues not depression, am I right (?). You might find that Mirt' would really work better for you at a lower dose because at 12.5 the food craving is less, and the lower you go the more it disappears, generally speaking that is.

I am wondering, if you wanted to, try dropping the dose ever so slightly to 12.5 mg for 2 weeks, in half & in half again, and see how the craving is then, maybe.  Pill cutter at the ready.

Reducing does carry a warning of withdrawal sensations, as you probably know, so you would have to go slowly, if you feel its better at 12.5 then try to go to say 10, 9, 8 until at a managable (cutting tablet wise) method.  7.5 worked well for my anx & insomnia, so thought it might help anyone in a similar position.

Worth a mention.

Wishing you well on your flab fight with the Mirt (me too 20 lbs).  ggrrr

• Posted

Hi calmer, thanks so much for taking the time to reply. When I went initially to see GP it was the anxiety and insomnia that took me there. I think (now ) that I felt low because of the lack of sleep and exhaustion from almost non stop whirring of anxiety!

I am definitely feeling more like my old self , my GP told me I was depressed but tbh I don't know! Does that affect your suggestion about dosage? And how are you getting on with the weight gain? Has reducing helped at all?

• Posted

Hi Jay

My initial symptoms were the same as yours, insomnia first though, then anx', doctor said depression but like yourself I'm not so sure.

Doctors 'should' start anyone at 15 mg and it sounds like this worked for you, then doctors ask you to increase.  15 mg is normally used for anxiety and insomnia, the higher doses for depression.

I can only say, for myself, when I was tapering slowly from 15mg, at 7.5 the food craving stopped, I still feel sedated as I did on 15 mg, and I still sleep very well, in fact I sleep better than at 15mg.  Some say the lower the dose the more sedation, and to be honest I find this to be true also, doesn't sound logical, but yes I am more sedated.  It doesn't stop me going about my day at all, it's only when I sit down to relax, I feel sedated.

Perhaps it was depression for me; whilost on Mirt for a year, I've taken the time to do CBT, Mindfulness, meditation etc ... I don't want to go back there again ~ looking forward now, not back smile

• Posted

I have been on this med for 4 weeks and my apetite is through the roof too! 
    • Posted

It's really hard at the beginning Gina, that feeling after eating your evening meal of needing another meal, followed by a pud or chocolate ...  don't forget - they give Mirt to anorexics to encourage an appetite.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.