Increased citalopram getting side effects

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I've been on 20mg citalopram for several years with no problems. Had odd moment of anxiety usually related to a new situation but very rare. Recently had a lot of stress in my life and felt very anxious, trouble eating etc. went to doc who increased citalopram to 30mg. Day 6 of increase have had nausea, extreme tiredness, diarrhea (had when anxious). Anxiety has diminished but not liking other side effects. My doc says give another week as usually takes two weeks for increase to work and side effects to go. Does this sound right?

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Claire, haven't been on CIT as long as you but have decided this drug works at it own pace. Just starting my 5th month and still not 100%. It's to bad to have to feel to to feel better !!
    • Posted

That is true. Because my doc told me two wks I'm kinda hanging out. Today not quite as exhausted but still very tired and feeling yuk. Hard when we are shifting house in two wks so supposed to be packing plus have two kids and hubby changing his job.
    • Posted

Hi Louis

I went to docs yesterday because im still struggling with negative thoughts/intrusive thoughts this is my 13th week on 20mg and she said to give it a few more weeks before I up dose have U had a problem with thoughts just thought I'd ask as your In Front of me ?

• Posted

Hi Don, no I have not had problem with thoughts. Just having hard time with shaking off other what I hope are side effects. This damn med makes it hard to decipher if it side effects or something else.
  • Posted

Yes.  Every time you increase your dose you'll get side effects.  It's normal, and will wear off in time.  Usually takes a few weeks but it'll settle down.

K x

• Posted

Hi Claire,

Been on Cita 14 months now and each time I increased (now on 40mg) I had side effects and if I ever get the chance to try or get around to it, to reduce, I expect and accept there may be little wobbles or effects as I slowly and gradually reduce. Would like to try though.

I am trying to avoid any stress that put me here in the first place, but now signed fit for work so, looking for what I want. I have had a lifestyle change so that does help as less money is wasted and I can pick and choose somewhat. Afterall having to work again has to be on my terms as I don't want to end up where I was 14/15+ months ago which lasted 6 years in total!

I have had some bad non-related medical problems and two bereavements in the past year (one my brother!) which is the kind of situation non of us can avoid nor the stress it brings. Having this forum makes all the difference.

One last thing ignore time when on Cita, let it do what it needs to do in its own time, it isn't a quick fix, saying that, I quite like being the real (albeit slightly battle scarred) me.

Good Luck! Keep posting, they count.

Regards,

David

• Posted

Hi Dave, did you still experience side effects in your 5-6 month ? I'm on 20 mil and feel I'm good with that just still have periods of stomach uneasiness,etc. I agree need to let med work at its own pace and for your body to heal. Thanks Louie
    • Posted

Good Morning Louise,

Firstly, I hope you don't think I have been ignoring you, but I had no notification of your reply to me in this thread. Only a couple of days ago I answered a pm that was posted 13 days before that and it was only by mistake I found it. That person was asking me if I was having trouble with replys, threads etc and I certainly was and still amit would seem! I shall report to the admin team.

So, two days late, sorry, but to answeer yer question yes I did and each time I increased up to 40mg I also had them. However, they were milder and I don't think I really noticed them come the end. Of course part of that was because I was more aware of Cita and side effects and knew how to handle it a little better. Which was to ignore them, as best I could, most of the time and it seemed to work for me.

Definitely give it time however, do not be too upset by any reacurrences, knock backs or down moments, these may (not always) happen now and again. Yesterday, I had a job centre appointment with a very nice person who asked about past military career and the various jobs I had have since, which was fine. When it came to the reason I am here, my last job, I almost went to pieces which she was well aware of however, even though she offered me water and some time out I carried on and took it as another step to take away from that which made me ill. I completed the appointment, but had to do breathing exercise after as I walked home> It took me a couple of hours to get over, but things are cool now.

As they say across the channel petit à petit!

Regards,

David

• Posted

Hi Dave, no problem been busy myself. Thank you for tracking this all down good for you. I will continue to 6 months and see if things change. Then go to GP and see other options. Again nothing I can't deal with just annoying and feels like a step back.
    • Posted

I hope yer GP is like mine and knows a lot about sticking plasters for the brain!

I have come to accpet that there will be set backs sometimes. Some just happen without cause or reason and others are caused by things around us which is out of our hands. I have had buzzing since calming down after that Job Centre appt yesterday which is fekin annoying! However, we went to Totnes (UK's alternative town and Transition Town) this morning and chilled out there for a few hours and the buzzing went away, but we 're back home and so is it!

Anyway, Have a GREAT weekend!

Regards,

David

• Posted

So true just take it as it comes and move forward. None of this is going to kill us and with time we will overcome. You have a great weekend and enjoy !
    • Posted

Hey David, Glad to hear from you I have taken a lot of advice from you and am in debt to your wisdom I hope you are doing ok my friend hang in there! 
  • Posted

Hi Claire, if thats what the doc says then it sounds about right there definately are side effects when dosage is adjusted however give it time you'll be ok once everything normalises hang in there matey wink
    • Posted

Thanks heaps for the experiences. Makes me feel better. I don't remember any side effects when first started hubby says I was so much happier so wants me

To keep on. I told him I just need to take one day at a time and not feel any unnecessary pressure otherwise I get waves of anxiety.

• Posted

Thats the one Claire deep breaths day by day steady as she goes smile
    • Posted

HI I felt better after a wk. well for a few days anyway! Now my anxiety n tiredness come back. We are moving house in one wk so got a lot on my plate. Plus starting working part time again and my RSI is flaring up again. I'm Hoping these are all the reasons y I'm feeling anxious again. Maybe gotta give it more time.
    • Posted

Hi claire, Yeah it will be the stress and everything playing havoc on you make sure you get plenty of sleep as that seems to stabilise me Tuesday I started feeling a little out of it and then the anxiety reared its ugly head and I didnt sleep that night, I was really gutted as I havent had any anxiety since being on anti-d's Cita butthen I started looking at it work has been busy and sleep hasnt been as good as usual so I took that as the trigger and 2 days later I'm ok we need to find the trigger and then we can manage it I use the term manage not cure I dont think theres a cure for us just techiques. Keep positive get some rest my friend!
    • Posted

Yes I'm trying to rest but my brain won't let me. I was taking citalopram at night and it took me a while to get to sleep so when increased dose also changed to mornings. Now get to sleep ok but wake at 4.30-5 every morn n struggle to get back to sleep.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.