Increased dose of fluoxetine

Posted , 12 users are following.

I've been taking 20mg of fluoxetine for 6weeks and have now been on the increased dose of 40mg for 3 weeks, the first 2 weeks of increased dose made me feel depressed and very anxious ,I'm just starting to feel a bit better, can anyone tell me what time span it took them to feel a lot better, or is this as good as it gets .

2 likes, 65 replies

65 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hey, I just signed up so I could reply! I was on Fluoxetine for 4 years previously for chronic anxiety, I mean, anxiety so bad I lived in my mums back bedroom and couldnt leave the house unless I was with her. Fluoxetine saved my life!!

After 4 years, with my anxiety under control, I slowly weaned myself off of them . Unfortunantely, a year later , Im having my first terrifying brush with clinical depression and suicidal thoughts, we tried setraline with zero effect and I asked if I could go back on flueoxetine. Ive been on 20mg for about a month, I went up to 40mg 2 nights ago. And yes, Id forgotten about all the nasty lil side effects that come with starting on these!

The increased anxiety/sleeplessness/tremors/irratioal thoughts are all normal! I looked back in my diary from years ago and seen that it was about 6 weeks on the increased dose before I felt "normal".

So it does pass. Ive sat all day convinced I've p*ssed someone off, that my friends hate me, that Ive upset them, that Im a crappy mum! But believe it or not, Im feelin better. I know they are irrational thoughts ( even though the anxiety is real!) Stick with it, in a few weeks, you'll feel like you again!

• Posted

Yep! I promise you, stick with it and you'll be fine. I went from living in a back bedroom, constant panic attacks, and 20mg diazapam a day, to , after 3 months, working, living alone, going to supermarkets ( they were my living hell) and even having a baby!!!

I know the side effects are crappy, but they're worth it just for this little while.

I dont know if this is helpful, but when it was explained to me, I felt much more in control...

Anxiety/panic is caused by your brain sending signals to your adrenal glands. Your brain thinks you're in danger and so your adrenal glands start to release adrenanline, this is what is also released during our fight or flight reaction. Now there is only one way to stop that happening. Take slow, deep breaths. Count in for five, and blow out for 5, as you blow out, relax your body, let your shoulders slump. and repeat. This then makes your brain send the signals to the adrenal glands to stop. Panic oover.

No one has ever died from an anxiety attack. No one has ever had a heart attack, they cannot hurt you, the absolute worst thing that will happen is you will pass out if you dont control your breathing.

Its crippling, but you're all on the right road to being happy again, promise xx

• Posted

Oh angie..you just made my day...I will keep pushing...how long have you been on them now for?I'm on day 5 of upped dose to 40mg..and total 29 days on flu.
    • Posted

I'm on day 6 of the upped dose my stomach doesn't feel good this morning

It will get better my side effects are wearing off gradually

Hang in there

• Posted

Hi sarah....I feel lighheaded..heavy head...panicky..anxious..overall still weird.
    • Posted

I had that yesterday...a weird full head sensation....its better today. It is a very anxiety provoking feeling.
    • Posted

Today I feel like I have the flu which I looked up that's part of a side effect I feel ache and have been feeling lousy with my stomach since yesterday

• Posted

I did 3 weeks at 20mg and am now on day 4 of 40mg. Good days and bad but the anxiety side effects are starting to ease off now. And its defo helping my depression. No more calls to Samaritans!! How are you doing?
    • Posted

I just keep re-reading ur post Angie as it gives me so much hope. I am day 3 of increase to 40mg, probably 3 weeks on 20mg, but my irrational thoughts, irritability and anxiety r huge today. Yesterday was an ok day...felt kinda bit normalish. Feels like a rollercoaster atm...i worry about what my brains doing lol...which definetly increases my anxiety. Thanks so much for sharing. Its a rocky ride but knowing its worth it makes a difference.
  • Posted

I have been 2.5 weeks on 20mg and 2 days on 40mg. Yesterday i had a very very very difficult day. Very depressed, teary, hot and cold sweats, terrible brain fog. But today i feel a bit better. Hopefully it will continue...maybe, just maybe, there is light.
    • Posted

I lasted a week on 40mg !!

I had some side effects but they are going away

It does get better with time :D

• Posted

Good to hear Sarah. A week seems like forever when u r feeling crappy... R u feeling better emotionally
    • Posted

Yeah for sure I can control my emotions I'm more mellow I don't cry anymore only when it's necessary
    • Posted

Did it take the full week to feel better...or did u intially feel better on the increased dose?
    • Posted

When I started on 20mg I had very little side effects then when I had the increase I had many common side effects but I have to say after the week I feel ok but then again my disorder is short lived around my cycle

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.