Increased sertraline from 25-50mg after 3 days I'm being sick, burping, gas! Please help :(

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi

So 3 days ago I upped sertraline from 25-50mg since then my stomach has been bubbling and making noises! A lot of flatulence and burping. The past 2 days iv been sick but it's just white foamy mucus! I feel so poorly. Has anybody else experienced this with sertraline?

I'm freaking out because I feel so poorly and I'm scared it could be something else. I'm getting niggling pains in my chest too in my upper middle abdomen and the upper left side.

Rang GP today and she said drop back down to 25mg. But after 3 days on 50mg will I get withdrawal side effects from going back down? I'm at my wits end now with this medication. Only been on it less than 4 weeks and it's been hell on earth 😭

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I feel so ill 😭😭 I don't know what to do. My anxiety is through the roof!!!!

• Posted

Hi Claire. Everything you've mentioned is really common in the start up of the medication.

When I increased to 50mg it took two weeks of feeling rubbish and having horrendous side effects before I started to feel remotely normal.

I say keep going as much as you can. Because eventually the side effects become less and less and you keep having better and better days.

I'm at week 7 now and I'm so much better than last week. I still get the odd rubbish day but 100% recommend to keep going!

Good luck!!!!

• Posted

Hi

Thank you for your reply. I really am struggling to handle this. I'm unable to function! It's debilitating. I'm constantly scared, on edge, tense and hysterical. Along with the stomach issues and feeling sick. My anxiety is through the roof!! I feel so weak 😢 X

• Posted

If you can, stick with it because each day gets easier and easier. I know the anxiety increase makes it horrendous but it will get better! Keep telling yourself if you get through today you can get through tomorrow x
    • Posted

Since the increase it's just got worse! I feel physically ill. I just don't know what to do for the best x

• Posted

It does get worse before it gets better unfortunately. That's what I found too x

• Posted

The same for me I am on week 5 and am beginning to see some small improvements.as I first started the medicine it made me so sick to my stomach horrible headaches gas and burping.the side effects have let up some.My dr says wait two weeks for full effects of this medicine good luck
  • Posted

I think I was quite lucky with side effects. I only had the increased anxiety which was horrendous but I had been living with bad anxiety for weeks so just rode it out. I couldn't leave the house and was terrified every time I woke up. I started on 25mg for 10 days then up to 50mg. I'm now in week 5 and feel so much better. I still have bad days and some not so nice physical anxiety symptoms, but I can deal with those compared to how I was. I'm even back at work. If you can persevere I definitely would. They are worth it in the end. Good luck

• Posted

Hi Claire,

I am on about 4 weeks now as well. Early on I had a lot of nausea that has now gone away. For the last week I have had gas, constipation, diarrhea, and chest and abdomen pain.

My doctor gave me a script for Ativan (Larazopam) to deal with the side affects until I get by them. I strongly suggest you inquire with your doctor about it. They have saved me from altogether breakdowns.

You're not alone here, what you're describing is exactly what I have had but I'm willing to risk some early side affects to rid me of this awful disease of anxiety.

PS...I did the worry that something else is wrong with me for a few weeks and it made my anxiety worse. Now I take a few deep breathes every half an hour and keep busy by taking a walk or cleaning up the house etc.

God Bless and Good Luck.

• Posted

Hi

I was on diazepam 2mg as and when needed. Not had one since Monday. Because they were prescribed 6 weeks ago my GP suggested I come off then because they were having less of an effect and only lasted about 2 hours. He did say he would prescribe some more if I really needed them though. I just don't want to become addicted to them as that will pose another problem when coming off them.

I do have 3 left but I'm wary of taking one. I just feel at the end of my tether with it all 😭

• Posted

Hi

so sorry to read your story! These antidepressants can be so hard on us when first starting them! I was n Lexapro for 10 yrs when recently it just stopped working! I then was placed on Paxil 20 mil and did have a increase in my anxiety! Tomorrow will be 3 weeks on the med and I think I am doing better??? My psychiatrist said it would take 4 to 6 weeks before any great improvement so I am hanging in! Has your doctor given you any benzo med to help you doing this time of adjustment? Please try to hang in the med will work and you will be forever grateful! I will be praying for both of us! 

• Posted

In My previous comment to your reply iv mentioned the diazepam.

Iv never felt so ill on a tablet before. I took citalopram for 4 years and although the side effects were awful I don't remember feeling sick or feeling physically poorly. I feel like I'm losing the plot now. I'm at my wits end. Thank you for your reply

• Posted

Some hope for you hun.. I was on 25 for about two weeks then went up to 50. MAYBE it's too soon to increase. you need to let your body get used to the sertaline. I was a mess before I took it and luckily I started mine in July when the weather was good so I kept busy in my garden took a few days break with my family and just worked with the meds. I have tried so many and failed and struggled with panic attacks and anxiety for yeas. NOW after 3 months I'm stuck on 5o and feeling great.. best I have felt since I was a teenager.

What I have found is that I try keep away from any stressful situation as that sets me back

Hang in there as this drug takes a good 6 to 8 weeks to work and some settle week on 59 which is a low doze and some have to go higher.

Remember we are all different so it's best to find that happy medium and regular visits to your doc..

SLEEP well, eat well and have ME time. Do what your body tells you.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi

Thank you for your reply. Iv had to go back down to 25mg as the stomach issues and vomiting were just too much for me. I wasn't just nauseas but literally vomiting on a morning (I take mine around 6:30 at night)

I will carry on taking the 25mg and hope it's enough to work as I'm also having cbt therapy.

I can't stop burping and it starts a few hours after I take the sertraline and then if I eat after iv taken it I get belly ache sort of and it feels like I have a tummy bug and then I feel like I want to be sick because of it. Then I start burping and get a bit of acid in my throat (but no heartburn)

My stomach bubbles too it's awful. I suppose with my anxieties centred around my health, any niggling feeling and I'm on it like a shot wondering what it could be. Then I catastrophise everything x

• Posted

Aww petal.. ask you gp if you can take peppermint as that helps. I wasn't sick but felt sick.. yes farted a good bit 🤔 but it's great now.

I think you need to believe they will work plus let your system get used to the 25 and when ready then talk to gp about the 50. 25 is a very very low doze hun.

• Posted

I know 25 is very low. But at the moment 50mg with the side effects is just too much for me to handle right now, physically and mentally. If the 25 settles down I will seriously consider upping it to 50mg again.

Thank you x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.