Increasing dizziness before hot flash or do you feel like something is in your chest to.

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi

I'm curious about someting.  I have been in menopaus for 5 yrs now.  I am hypothyroid and I have a disorder call migraine associated vertigo (MAV) this is caused by silent migraines and migraines.  It causes many sensations of dizziness, such as rocking, swaying, leaning, bobbing, swining, these sensations are felt in my head and though out my body, I also have neck and upper shoulder pain on both sides of my body which is where I think my migraines are, I have nausea, anxiety, panic that all come as part of the MAV, but I also have health anxiety and have for many years.  When going thru peri I was a wreck with panic attacks daily as mony as 5 a day.  Now its all back with this disorder,  But I have noticed an increase in dizziness right before a hot flash,then the hot flash comes and i get sweaty and I'm having drenching night sweats.  I wonder if any of you have dizziness before the hot flash, like it telling you the flash is coming but sometimes I don't think of that until the flash comes.  I have dizziness 98% of the time every day in some form, wether it be swaying, leaning, bobbing.  I also feel the floor move when I walk, it goes up and down like walking on marsh mellows.  This disorder is very scary to me, the dizziness scares me to death at times.  

Other times before a flash lately I'm feeling this discomfort in my chest, like its got soemthing in it, then a min later the flash.  I'm going to see my doc wednesday about it.  I'm always worried about my heart, always have been.  I've testing before and its alway anxiety, but i ust want to make sure.  I know it sounds stupid to people, but this is how it is for me.  I'm scared alot.  

1 like, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Well it's reassuring to me to know that I'm not alone! Everything you've just described is how I've felt for the last 8 months.

I have a really hard time walking because of it.

• Posted

Hi - I also have MAV and it was diagnosed 4 years ago when I was 44. I have all the same symptoms as you do. My symptoms are constant and I also have neck and shoulder pain with it.

I also have the chest issues and have had heart issues ruled out. I think it is to do with the anxiety that goes along with perimenopause xx

• Posted

Hi Sally

Thank you for replying.  I'm finding more and more people with MAV, its really a tough disorder to have. Do you mind if I ask some questions in regards to it.  You said you have all the symptoms I mentioned, are you on meds for it, if not what are you doing?  Have you had any relief from it, meaning has it gotten any better?  I also have it pretty much 24/7, I actually had last week 3 days of so low dizziness I didn't pay attention to it. Do you have any depression since it started?  I feel pretty down a lot of the time, it seems to come in waves.  There are so many symptoms with it, sometimes I'm not sure if something else is going on, do ever feel this way?  I question the diagnoses a lot.  But I think I had it back in 2009-2011, I had all the same symptoms then but they said it was BPPV.  I didn't realize it was the same until I came across a journal I kept then because I was also going thru peri menopaus and found it all in the journal, exact even to the wording I used and symptoms the same.  I found it odd, but I guess it must have been a remission of sorts.  Have you noticed increased anxiety since the MAV started.  I find myself very afraid of the dizziness when i get it, esp if its bad.  Do you find you have times where it hits for an hour or two than goes back to baseline?  I have this alot.  Do you find your back hurts like at the top to the middle, I am wondering if this is from trying to balance alot.  I hate it when the floor starts moving up and down on me, or I feel like its coming up at me, very strange feeling.  I aLso get dizziness right before the upper shoulder pain and neck pain, I think this is where my migraines are.  I also have dropping sensations, have you had those.?  Sorry to ask so many questions.

The chest issues def bother me, I keep thinking all this stress and anxiety from this is causing heart problems.  I've had health anxiety for many years but nothing like this.

Anyway I hope to hear back from you and hope today is better for you.

• Posted

Hi Patty, I have tried many meds but I either couldn't tolerate them or had side effects. At the moment I am on Metoprolol. Things that have helped are - a regular bedtime and waking up time even at weekends, trying to avoid stress, no caffeine, keeping hydrated and avoiding some foods. Magnesium has also helped me. These things have not made me better, but have given a small improvement, Yes since getting this I have terrible anxiety and yes I did think I am depressed at times.

i too was diagnosed with BPPV but I don't have that because I do not spin when I move my head.

i do have a bad back and neck. My neurologist thinks it is Migraine, but I think it is bad posture from trying to keep my balance.

i have drop attacks. I say it is like I am on a lift (elevator) and it suddenly drops a floor. 

And yes I have had health anxiety for many years as well, but this has made it worse than it has ever have, i can't accept that I can feel so ill all of the time from migraine, but my neurologist assures me that I can.

Thinking about you xx

• Posted

every single thing the same! I thought that was a sudden increase in allergis, since I now am allergic to everything!!!!! Food, aairborne, my own furs, etc. I am 50 and it started about 2 years ago and gets worse. Will this ever end?  
  • Posted

Patty, I can't be of much help. However, you said something that struck a chord with me.  That feeling of walking on marshmellows.  I've had this too.  Not constantly, but your description was exactly this same feeling I get at times.  Odd, isn't it?

• Posted

Patty I wanted to ask you about this. I haven't been diagnosed with MAV but I am wondering if this is what I have. For the past two months I have had mild vertigo ( not sure how to describe it. Feels like my brain is moving at a slightly different pace than my head). Lots of movement makes me dizzier. It's worse when I turn my head etc. I have had an MRI and catscan and saw a neurologist but he didn't mention MAV. He basically just said it's not a tumour or MS and hopefully it will go away. I also wasn't sure if it was just hormone related. I am getting quite a few headaches and tightness in my head as well as have a tight neck. I am trying the migraine diet to see if it makes any difference. What are you doing for your MAV?

• Posted

Hi Jen

I'm sorry I didn't answer before this. Have you Benin able to get any answers regarding your dizziness? You said you where going to try the migraine diet, did you star that? It's good your doc scanned for things that could be happening. Are you seeing a ent or neurologist? They are best for diagnoses. Did your doc test for BPPV? Having MAV has so many different sensations, some people have migraines and some don't, like me they have dizziness everyday wether it's bad or at low levels. I'm on propranolol which is suppose to help the blood vessels from constricting, it helps anxiety some to. I've bad health anxiety and this vertigo has made it worse. It's best if you can figure out triggers. There are meds but it's all trial and error. What symptoms are you having, how dies the dizziness feel, like rocking swaying bobbing floating leaning tilting dropping, there are so many feelings. Hope to hear from you.

• Posted

Hi Patty,

I have been trying the migraine diet. I'm pretty sure that my triggers are hormones and stress since this came in at 49 and in peri meno...sad

I have varying degrees of dizziness every day. It's kind of like my brain is not connected to my head and it jiggles areound sometimes. Or moves at a different pace to me head. Really weird. Also have head pressure every day like my head has a bowling ball in it. And plugged ears on and off all day. It's very annoying and disturbing.

• Posted

That is exaclty how I feel  - like my brain and my body aren't connected and also like I am looking through a fog and my head is full of cottown wool. I have been told this is MAV. The migraine diet hasn't helped me, but I am too scared to stop it! xx

• Posted

I haven't been diagnosed with MAV yet but I suspect it is what I have. Are you trying anything else for it?

• Posted

I have tried various beta blockers some helped, but I couldn't tolerate the side effects. I am currently trying Metoprolol another beta blocker and i also have a prescription of Amitriptyline to add in later on xx

• Posted

And did this just start for you in peri? Mine just started a few months ago so I have to think it is connected to hormones....?
    • Posted

Sorry realized above that you got it at 44. The reason I ask is I am seeing the hormone doctor today and if I do have MAV and hormone fluctuations are a trigger then I am trying to figure out if I should or shouldn't go on bio hormones....will it

Make it worse or better???

• Posted

How did it go at the hormone doctor? I'm in the UK and sadly we can't get bio-identical here otherwise I certainly would try them. I have heard that Progesterone in that form works for MAV xx

• Posted

It was good. I am in Vancouver and I had to pay to go to a woman's clinic. Anyways she stated that my estrogen was ok but my progesterone was low and my cortisol was too high ( constant fight or flight). So I am starting on bio progesterone and some supplements to lower my cortisol and move it to the good kind of cortisol...( or something like that). She also suggested coq10 for migraines. And no caffeine or alchohol ( which I am already doing)....

• Posted

That sounds really positive. I know that progesterone lowers first in early peri-menopause. I am sure mt cortisol is high because I can't tolerate stress anymore at all. what supplements are you going to take for that? I too was told to try Coq10 I think 100mg so I will get some xx

• Posted

Yeah me too and stress is a trigger for migraines so I am hoping if I can get my stress level down it will help?

For the cortisol she put me on DHEA and a cortisol manager. Also Coq10, magnesium, B12 and vitamin C.

• Posted

How is your dizziness these days? Do you also have head pressure? Mine is pretty constant mostly in the back of my head. I am wondering if this is tension from neck or migraine?
    • Posted

Hi I am not as much dizzy nowadays as I am constantly spaced out and have a feeling like I am in the middle of a fog. Yes I have constant pressure in the back of my head and my neck and shoulders are painful xx
    • Posted

How did you get rid of the dizziness and how long did you have it for?
    • Posted

My dizziness just comes and goes. Right now it has gone. It started in July 2013 xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.