Increasing mirtazapine 30-45 what to expect?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all, fairly new here so hoping for some guidance. Have been on mirtazapine for just over a week after a psychiatrist suggested I try them in addition to 20 mg escitalopram which I have been on for a year or so after citalopram failed me.

I have the standard side effects of a sweet tooth and wanting to sleep for 12 hours plus but I believe my physch will be increasing the dose to 45. I'm conscious of what to expect. I'm currently off work but hoping to return in the next week or so but will the increase knock me for 6. I'm a 35 yr old male suffering from anxiety and depression but don't want to be a zombie with no feelingsAny experience would be greatly welcomed as I have read some confusing stories with some saying 45 was too much and others saying the higher the dose the less sedating effect. Any responses welcome thanks 

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

For me it was quet that made me a zombie. I coudn't manage 30 and even on 15 if I had a morning meeting I didn't take it the previous night.
    • Posted

Thanks Nickoliver hoping to return to work so yet to see how I handle work. But I'm hopeful it will be ok but will see how it goes 
    • Posted

Office based work with figures and plenty of meetings so need to be a non zombie 
  • Posted

I don't totally buy into the "the stronger the dose the less sedating it is" line of thought, however, I didn't feel any hugely different effect in terms of sedation when went from 30mg to 45mg, so if you're tolerating the 30mg fairly well then chances are you'll be alright on 45mg. 
    • Posted

And you are a pharmacist or pharmacologist? By the same argument you should go back to 30.
    • Posted

Thanks clarkio, does the sedating effect remain or clear a bit once you have been on the dose for a few weeks. As I have said been on 30 for just under a week after starting on 15 although I have to admit I'm yet to "level out" as feeling rather up and down atm but hoping that will come soon 
    • Posted

No not a pharmacist Nick,  but the question asked for experiences so I gave mine, feel free to differ with your experience.  

Personally I found the tiredness did wane after a few weeks but was always there to some level.  For what it's worth Mirtazapine didn't work for my anxiety and I'm currently back down to 7.5mg with a view to stopping soon and have to say feel better than when I was on the higher doses.

• Posted

There you go again Nick.When will you learn everyone's experience is different,All our bodies are different.   ( suppose we are not friends anymore)
    • Posted

No, you said that "so if you're tolerating the 30mg fairly well then chances are you'll be alright on 45mg" which seems to be saying that oh, don't worry about going up to 45. Norma, it is one thing speaking of one's own experience about, quite rightly you cannot generalise from one's own experience - Clarkio was advising Gareth what to do, not me. And I am not doing this because I am for or against you. This is not a love-in. I am doing this because I care, not because of any ego trip.
    • Posted

Well Nick my answer to that, try and be more polite to people there's no need to insult people for putting there own experiences to people.Like I say we are all different and we all put our own experiences on.And actually I tend to agree with Clarkio ,if your feeling alright on 30mg stay with it.As the saying goes if it's not broke don't fix it..( and you do disappoint me I thought it was a Love In )
    • Posted

In my answer I was seeking to reassure the original poster.  There's a lot of negative/bad experiences on this board and I like to try and counter that by offering people reassurance in whatever choice they think is right for them.

That being said my statement was a bit too generalised and glib as it was only my personal opinion, so I should have added a caveat to that affect.

Can we draw a line under this now please.

• Posted

My experience was that  my gp changed me from venlafaxine onto mirts felt so drugged up like a zombie was eating none stop was suicidal just wasn't for me so came straight off it after I think about 4 days worst thing I've tried now on fluoxetine for 8 weeks wry good with fatigue not tired at all just waiting for the happiness to kick in ect more motivated which I had before xx 
  • Posted

Hi Gareth if you are suffering from some type of depression you must follow what yor Doctor is trying to do for you,yes there are certain side effect with all drugs but you must inform your GP so that he can make change or recomends for you to seek extra help.

Good luck. Alexander.

• Posted

Thanks for the response, I have no intention of differing to what the gp / physch recommends just wanted to know what to expect on the higher dose but I appreciate the input 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.