Increasing to 30mg

Posted , 7 users are following.

Anyone else on 30mg of citalopram? How do you find it? Did you have side effects going up from 20 to 30? I have been on citalopram before but only ever on 20 but it hasn’t worked that well this time and it looks like I’m going to have to go up which I am very nervous about.

many thanks

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Each time I’ve had to increase my 20 to 30, I don’t recall having any symptoms.

This time going up to 30, I feel like they’re not doing much so I might have to increase to 40 this time.

You probably just need that extra little boost this time as well, so don’t stress about that too much.

Listen to your gut, and do what you think will help. And most importantly, listen to your doctor. If the 30 is too much, you can always decrease. I’ve done it multiple times just fine.

• Posted

you are very lucky. I have suffered with every increase and decrease

• Posted

I may have had bad side effects when I started the 10mg (my anxiety was so bad then it’s hard to know if it made it worse) for the very first time, but I don’t recall any after increasing.

• Posted

I just hope the 20mg eventually works for me....im exhausted with daily low level anxiety that hangs most of the day....its likely another dip....it has been the longest 5 mths

• Posted

Well you’re only on week 4 of 20mg. So I’d say you’re at least half ways there, give your body a bit more time to adjust to being back there and I’m sure it’ll work!

• Posted

5 months total.....thats why I am over it already lol

• Posted

did the higher dose make you feel more tired/drugged or just better?

• Posted

Usually towards spring, if I’m on a higher dose, I’ll feel a bit sluggish. Not depressed, just not as happy as I usually am. That’s when I decide it’s time to lower them a little.

I’ll lower the dose by taking the lower dose one day that week, then the second week I will take it two days (split up, like say a Monday and Thursday), then the third week I’ll take the lower dose three days. And this will go on till I’m on the lower dose for the full week. I read online before this was a better way to decrease than just starting to take a lower dose one day and sticking to it. I haven’t noticed any side effects doing it this way.

• Posted

thats interesting sounds very sensible. And when do you back up again? And do you increase the same way?

• Posted

Whenever my anxiety gets bad again, usually always around this time of year so I might just start increasing it when fall starts instead of waiting to get bad.

Nah, I just increase it by taking the new dose and sticking with the new dose. I never had bad side effects tho, but it might work well for people who do. I would ask your doctor first before you tired something like that.

• Posted

I started on 20mg for 8 weeks and felt that my anxiety went mostly. Then i got really sick with a bug and then the flu and this started to make me feel low and I was having increased intrusive thoughts. The doctor recommended that I take 30mg instead, I decided to go with the advice even though I was super anxious as I'd heard it would be like starting the medication again. I did feel quite strange at first for around 3 to 4 days, I felt disconnected from reality, slightly more panicky and a bit drowsy. However this did settle and i began to feel more like myself. I have been on this dose for 3 weeks which is still early days.

I think just try the higher dose and see how you go because it might work for you and these medications and doses are very personal. I have also tried sertraline and mitrazipine (both awful). Just stick with it and see what happens. My therapist said that 20mg is more of a placebo affect and the higher dose does work more for some people. I do feel like my negative thoughts are more distant on this medication and it helps the thoughts to come and go rather than me entering in to a long period of anxiety and dwelling. I have been sleeping better too but I do get bad moments. For example last night I felt anxious and couldn't sleep, so I just took a sleeping tablet. Sometimes its handy to have diazepam too, calms me down. The road to recovery won't be straight forward it might be rocky at times but your get there. I run every evening and go to yoga, this helps. What about meditation too? Good luck with it, stay strong.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.