Infected knee

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello everyone im new to this forum, ive just got home from the hospital last night. I had a total knee replacement on monday morning, and im happy to be home. Im doin my excercises and walked about a little , i have my dressing on, but its weepin a bit so im wonderin if i have an infection. Has anyone else had this x

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Valsam!

Welcome!😄

Glad to hear you are home, feeling good, walking around, and doing your exercises.

Something I did with both of my knee replacement surgeries is TAKE MY TEMPERATURE regularly several times a day. It was a comfort knowing I was OK. ( I can often be 102° and not feel sick but obviously have a fever!) It is an easy thing to do to take your temperature, and it will help you monitor any possible infections you MAY have. A normal temperature will assure you things are OK.

Sending lots of prayers for strength and healing to you!??

• Posted

Hello again ty everyone for your repkies im so very grateful. For all your relplies, the phsyio came yesterday and she said its ok the weeping is fine in fact she said it may weep some more , she got me to do all my excercises, and will be bac next weds . So im still just takin each day as it comes, my partner did wash my hair and i washed my body today, he took me out in our mobility van with my mobility scooter, we went shoppin but as soon as i got out all i wanted to do was come home so its a bit of an up and down day for me ..
    • Posted

You'll have a lot of them. I came home in tears today just because everywhere is so busy and I felt I was getting hurried along, and I can only walk slow just now. So glad to reach home and put my feet up

• Posted

Something else id like to ask you all. I have the anti embollic stockings on one is up to my knee on my good knee and the other one they put it up to my thing onmy pperated knee, i do feel like its makin my knee sp hpt even qith the ice things on, and its stinging today as well, did anyone have the stocking on , on the operated knee just to the knee tooo like on the other knee . Im watchin npw to see if i get any replies to thos as id so like to know ty in advance and sorry for all the questions from valsam x
    • Posted

Hi Valsam!

I had thigh-high stockings that were on from operation day to two weeks afterwards when my staples were removed.

I chose to put them on again several weeks later when my swelling just wouldn't go down no matter WHAT I did! The stockings REALLY, REALLY helped with the swelling!

• Posted

I wasn't given any anti embolism stockings on discharge from hospital, just a course of Apixaban. I would wear them for as long as you aren't mobile and at least 2 weeks post op. They work by compressing the calf muscle that promotes blood flow back to the heart. You do this naturally when you walk.  So stops blood pooling in your legs risking the formation of a DVT. So while you are recovering wear them X 

• Posted

I was only told to wear one stocking for my left leg because of my right knee being operated on hope that this was the way it's meant to be as I thought it was kind of weird only putting the one on

• Posted

if you have knee length ones on you wouldnt want one on your operated leg it would be too painful. One stocKing is still better than no stockings
  • Posted

I am wearin them but the one up to my thigh just dosnet fit great i did lose 2 stone b4 my op which got me to just under 14 st but my legs r chubby at the top and all the thigh one does is roll down all the time and it feels so tight it seems to be givingme pain in that leg (the operated one ) so much im thinkin shud i put one on up to the knee on my operated one just like i have on my good knee ?
    • Posted

it sounds like they are the incorrect size for you now. I would try and get another pair that fit correctly because if they are too slack they won't work properly because you're not getting the compression you need. I should imagine your operated leg will be more swollen around the knee so it will be too tight which is causing the pain. I'm guessing you were measured up for them before the op X 

• Posted

Hy everyone i thought id just put myself up to date. If anyone can give me any advice or even say if it was same for them , then please do.

im  2 weeks today post op from my TKR on my right leg . Im still walking with 2 sticks, ive tried with the 1 stick but im not ready. And i know becos it causes more pain on my operated leg i use the stick when i try with the 1 on the side of my good leg, but as i said on 2 sticks right now. The swelling is still really bad at the moment and the pain is still quite bad, it eases a bit  with pain killers but when im due my next pain killers it gets worse until i can take them again. I do walk around the house. With my 2 sticks i go up and down the stairs with my partner behind me and infront on the way down.i dress myself wash myslelf and do all i possibly can, but im gettin asked this. Is the pain still bad i say yes. Do u think the swellin has gone down just a but i say no,ive even been asked that when im sittin down try to keep bending my knee, back  as far as i can. Yep thats a great idea but it ont go any more thanit is right now and its about the saem as when phsyio came last weds 85%. Is anyone further on than me or worse than me im just interested, so please say... im also bit upset at mo cos was geared up for the nurse to take theses staples out today was so looking forward to fpgettin them out. But just got a calll to say its tomorrow now as they have so much to do. So yep teary , sorry guys if i sound bit upset . So lookin forward to hearin how you are all doing thanks in advance from valerie xx

• Posted

Val I'm 8 weeks post op and I have learnt so much about post op care it's a shame that we are not told what to do after surgery. I can tell you are desperate to get back your independence and you will in time but don't rush the mobility part of your recovery. If you need two sticks use them there is no rush to get rid of them. If you are getting pain and swelling you are on your feet too much and you are over doing it. At two weeks you need to take your pain meds, ice your knee and elevate. The ice and elevation will reduce swelling which will make it easier for you to get the flexion in your knee. If you walk around on it too much it will just swell up which causes pain and prevents the knee bending. Don't get upset about the staples coming out they will be out soon and it will feel better. X

• Posted

Hi, tomorrow will be here before you know it and it'll be over. As for swelling, I am convinced my surgeon has put a fat new knee in mine haha, mines always looks swollen. I think it's still early days though. Good luck tomorrow

• Posted

This can leave you unable to run, descend a flight of stairs, sit down, stand up or do anything else that involves bending your leg. This is a highly debilitating problem then and one that you need to address as quickly as possible. Normally this means rest and elevation until the swelling subsides and you can go back to moving normally without experiencing the same pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.