Infection....I'm worried :(

Posted , 8 users are following.

Sorry, I just have to sound off a bit. I am 4 weeks post op and my knee is really hot, swollen and painful. So what's new?!?  Well, I have been diagnosed with a superficial wound infection sad My GP has started me on 500mg Flucsoxacillin x 4 daily for a week, and hopes this will do the trick. 

I am terrified that the infection will get deeper into the knee.....I gather then that the replacement has to be taken out, infection cleared and then done again. Help!!!! Has anyone else had this superficial would infection, and lived to tell the tale? Please???

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi 

after my surgery I was not doing good feel sick low fever and my knee was hot and so big and the pain I was in the doc thought I was crazy . So after getting mad at him he did say he would take a sample so in went the needle and when he looked at it we were hopping for red blood but what I saw was not it . Right then he told me the knee had to come out 2 days later surgery and IV meds . I was so scocked I was keeping it clean , the best doctor waited 6 months just to see him the first time . After all the surgerys today 4 1/2 years I just now and starting to walk better . No cane but if I hold the cart I can walk fast but the knee is still big due to being open so meny time . It will never be the same . Please see your doctor if you have a fever and pain at 4 weeks . Are you in the US? 

• Posted

Oh God, Deb, that sounds awful!!! Truly horrid sad 

It sounds silly but I'm not sure what my temperature is....sending hubby out to buy a thermometer first thing tomorrow. I'm not actually in any more pain than usual (less if anything), but the swelling is very uncomfortable in its own right. Operated thigh and knee are 4" bigger round than the other one. Will consult doc again tomorrow if no better.

Many thanks and sending you (((hugs))) for as good an outcome as possible x

PS I'm in the UK

• Posted

Please keep us posted I really pray that no one ever will the problems I had keep the ice on and rest . My fever was only 99 low grade 
  • Posted

Update as promised.......am still taking the industrial strength antibiotics and the wound is a little less red than it was. Temp is 37.3, so 'just' okay.....

Hospital physio came to the house today and had a good look at it. She agrees it's infected but thinks it's likely to resolve with AB's. Her advice is to - go to GP and then on to hospital if it gets any worse at all. 

- not to have another course of AB's if this doesn't do it - go straight back to the hospital

- limit exercise, and especially don't push for knee Flexion, as this strains the system

- rest, ice, elevate 

- get myself to hospital ASAP if no better

fortunately for me, she had come from a clinical governance meeting with the surgeons, so will feed back what's happening. Also I can contact her direct if I need to. So I feel I'm being treated seriously, but without panic, if that makes sense. 

I only saw this physio as I'm taking part in a research project, so fingers crossed she's right and it works out okay. When did you ever hear a physio advising you to take it easy?!?

i appreciate all your good wishes, I still need them as I'm not out of the woods yet!!! And may not be.....

Thank you all xx 

• Posted

Also, re stitches and staples, she did say that they were encountering problems with internal stitches dissolving at different rates and in a different way to having staples out, and this had been a problem for several people she'd seen. So sue, it might be something similar to what you had.....x
    • Posted

You take care and keep an eye on your knee, temp and how you feel. Contact gp/hospital if you get worried, better being safe. I'm glad your physio took notice of it instead of making you do your exercises.

Thank you for keeping us posted, hope you get a good nights sleep x

• Posted

Ok, then rest, ice, elevate and hydrate.  You will be healed in no time.  All the prayers going on for your healing is bound to work.  Keep us posted.

pam

• Posted

Hi

so glad they looked at it . Just watch it and take your time there is no race on when we all heel . Praying the best for you .

• Posted

Hi Nextoneplease

Sorry,not seen your post as I havent been looking on the boards. Im going to start a thread when I get time about how I went on with a surgeons 2nd opinion,but:

I got a rash almost as soon as the dressing came off in January. Had TKR in  November last year. The surgeon has seen me and he dismissed the rash . I went private and the other guy,an eminent surgeon,prescribed me the exact same antibiotics as youve got. Only started them today so I cant comment but will keep you informed. Hope they work for us both. But it seems early days for you and looking back there was a lot of pain. Operated knee is STILL warmer than the other and also bigger. Thats at 6 months. THe guy told me it takes 12 for a recovery.

John.

• Posted

Hi John smile

Good to hear from you, but sorry you've had such trouble. Do I understand correctly, that you've had the rash from January to May?!? I'm really pleased you now have antibiotics. It makes you wonder, doesn't it, whether there's some sort of bug that the medics know about, and we don't? Or maybe I'm just being cynical .....if so, it's not like me, it's the worry that does it!!

i did try to do some exercises today and it was very painful, so actually I think my bold statement originally that I wasn't really in pain, only applies because I was resting.

Hope you get on well with the ABs, please post if you get time. I will be really interested to know your news.

Take care and good luck x

• Posted

Yes N.O.P. Had the operation November 18th and first saw the rash in January. There is a ream that works,mometasone,but I had a fear that it was due to an allergic reaction to the metal,which apparently is bad news if that is the case. But the surgeon who did the op said it was "almost unheard of". I didnt altogether believe him,so sought a 2nd opinion. But the 2nd guy said the same thing,only more so. Will keep you informmed. BTW Im a cynic too!!

At 4 weeks youll still be in a fair amount of pain,but my advice would be dont put up with it if its undue. Also I think some physios expect patients to overdo exercise sometime. Maybe little and often is the secret. 

All the best

John.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.