Inflamed Pancreas

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had pain in my upper abdomen so I went to the ER. I had one incident of an inflamed Pancreas and according to the Doctor I have Acute Pancreatitis. I dont see how one incident can result in a lifetime diagnosis.  I am being told by some, no alcohol ever again. But in my discharge papers from the Hospital it says no more than two drinks per day. A bit confused. 

Steve

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Don't worry too much. I have the odd glass of wine. Just make sure you avoid spirits like the plague! These really upset my pancreas big time. If I drink spirits it usually ends in a relapse and 8 days in hospital. Not fun!
    • Posted

Thanks Amanda! I have gone without beer for a while. It would be nice to have one once in a while, but do not want a relapse.
  • Posted

If it were my decision I would eliminate alcohol altogether.  After my first bought I stopped drinking and started again 2 years later, had a second accute attack, stopped drinking for 2 years,  started drinking again and another attack, but this time it became chroic.  If you choose to drink think of it like Russain Roulette, you never know what will happen.  Best of luck
  • Posted

I wish I would have had an acute attack so I could have been warned before I got Chronic Pancreatitis! I think anyone that has CP will tell you to do all you can to prevent it. No drink is worth it!
  • Posted

Hi,

​Are you sure you do not have chronic ancrititus?  I have severe or acute which will get better in time but Cronic is a long term condition. There is a big differnce. I would clarify this.

• Posted

Hey Gary, Any idea how long it takes for acute to heal. I have only had an inflamed Pancreas one time. Also, have had severe gas when this started and still have it off and on. Having gas is not even one of the symptoms of Pancreatitis.
    • Posted

Hi Stephen,  firstly I would lay off the curry!  Joke.  Dont know anything about that I would ask the doctor but might be the diet. My consultant tells me how long is a peice of string! Scans help tell you if the inflimation has reduced but you may still have problems.  I was told it can start again at anytime and so far it has twice from my first very bad attack 1st Nov. Things like drink, strong foods or exercise can set it off and I did or had non of these.  The way I look at it, its an unkown and they do not really no that much about the illness. Sorry.
    • Posted

I have had 1 incident in my life, and was released from the ER 2 hours later. I have spoken with another Physician, and he said with all of the severe gas I have had it could be an Ulcer. Need to get an endiscopy.

And I have been drinking beer in moderation with no problems. I might have been mis-diagnosed.

• Posted

Hi Stephen,  Are you in the States?  I am in the UK and the NH service.  If you have had severe Pancrititus it would have been caused by drinking or stones ( mine was stones in the bile duct which had been there for seven years, doctors kept putting the pain down to a fall I had in China!), if it was severe you should not drink as it sets the pancreas off.  If you have cysts ( which I now have a few one of which is 9cm long and may need opperating on), there are two types, one with thin liquid and one thick. Normally they will go on thier own ( normally you get these after severe pancrititus ), if they do not then they are drained. I think you have cronic long term pancrititus but I am no doctor its just based on what I have researched and heard from the consultant.  Which ever way you should not drink full stop! I have not had a drink since 1st Nov 2015 and am still recovering from the major attack I had then.  Apparently I am in the 5% of cases at this level in the UK and I still cannot get my head around people who walk into A and E ( ER in the stated ), with this. I almost died and spent a week in intensive care before being put in a room in a ward.  It seems to be a really wide range of experiences by everyone.  I would really get an answer on exactly what you have!  Have you had a full scan and have they checked for stones in your bile duct?  Kind regards  Gary

• Posted

Gary, I have only had abdominal pain once right around the Holidays. I have never had any issues like this in my life and I am 52 years old. The Doctor I saw in the ER diagnosed Acute Pancreatitis, and the Nurse had just drawn my blood 5 minutes before he came in. There is no way blood test results come back in minutes. I am retired military and they gave me a full physical to include a CT scan. After they finished all of there testing I was released with no problems. I have also had a Doctor say that I could have an Ulcer because I have gas all the time. Food does not bother me and I have not changed my diet. I still drink a couple of beers a day, but that is what my discharge papers said I could have. Anyway I surely do not have Chronic Pancreatitis.
    • Posted

Evening Stephen,  I am 56 and also has acute ( severe ), pancrititus.  The bloods should show amylase at very high levels ( should be 100 mine was at 675), a CT scan does not always show the stone and mine ( in the bile duct), was 10mm but only seen when the opperated.  I think there are so many differences in each case its hard to say. Mine was very bad other people do not have the same. I cannot drink for at least seven months.

• Posted

I hope everything works out fine for you. I mainly drink non-alcoholic beer. It works for me, and I don't mess with hard liquor. I heard that is what gets most folks into trouble.
  • Posted

From my experience ...I can have a beer once in a while..haven't tried wine...but a margarita , took me down...with in 3hrs. I knew I would not try that again..it stirred things up for what seemed like several weeks to quiet my panky down....I'd been doing real well, just had to try it, not again! Might try a beer one of these days...did like a dirty martini before last year when this started...I have C. P. Divison ...not gonna try hard stuff for a real long time, if ever! Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.