Inflamed Prostate - can anything more be done?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've had this for a year now - losing hope. Finally diagnosed with Chronic Pelvic Pain/Chronic Non Bacterial Prostatitis - which is so wide it's almost meaningless

My symptoms are nasty inflamed sensations in scrotum - particularly on the right side; hot and fizzy urination - stream's not bad most of the time, and burning painful bowel movements which make the scrotal symptoms worse.

I got this after unfortunately taking 4 days of a prescribed antibiotic doxycycline - which had a terrible effect on my anus/rectum(seized it up so I had to have fecal infection treatment at A & E) - and even more unfortunately drinking beer some months after that; that's where the scrotal symptoms started.

I think my prostate is yeast infected brought on by the antibiotic and the beer. I've done a lot of research and have at last persuaded private Consultant to have a yeast test done to see if my semen is infected with fungus/bacteria - the urine tests have come up negative. I didn't fancy prostatic massage to produce fluid for a urine test, the Consultant tells me the semen test is equivalent and will "probably" indicate whether the prostate problem is fungal or not. I hope that's true.

Meanwhile I'm doing the diet - cutting out caffeine, dairy, alcohol, spicy, yeast sugar, gluten - though I can't help the odd lapse. I only took Naproxen for a bit, suspicious of it - and it did nothing anyway. Quercetin and saw palmetto doesn't seem to make any difference.

If this anything I've missed with can help me get this rotten horrible inflammation down at all? Doctors have been nigh on useless really

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey Bud,

Sorry your suffering so much. I know what its like.

I have a pelvic function disorder. Symptoms can be the same in terms of pain as a prostate issue and even worse when pressure from your pelvis clamps down on your urethra. Misery trying to urinate. Also painful after a bowel movement and almost impossible to urinate with burning.

I ended up going to a therapist who specialized in pelvic function disorders in men. It really helped control and make the symptoms less bothersome.

I just had a UROLIFT procedure 5 weeks ago and so far this is allowing me to pee without straining. Which in itself is a great improvement. My stream is not strong but ok. I believe in addition to the surgery Im going to need pelvic floor treatment again. All is not perfect but so far (fingers crossed) better. Good luck and please look in to pelvic floor disorder in men. By the way its considered rare in men. So of all crappy odds I have to be one of them.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply illustrate - glad you're getting relief from UROLIFT, hadn't heard of that.

The Consultant I saw recommended having my pelvic floor situation checked out - he didn't know if the problem is that or maybe some undetected infection or some other prostate issue. The local hospital here in the UK, which is huge, doesn't deal with male pelvic issues - which isn't great but not unexpected for the UK NHS. I have been to a local physio/acupuncture centre - and they prodded me about a fair bit from the outside and didn't think it was a pelvic floor issue

I am convinced it is a prostate infection - probably fungal. If I stray away from the crap dietary regime I get really punished for it with very difficult burning bowel movement, which isn't doing me much good

I'm totally p****d off with doctors - generally they just look blank and nothing they've prescribed has been any good; and you look at the side effects of these drugs - I refuse to call them medicines - and you become seriously alarmed - especially as I know antibiotics have done me a lot of harm

• Posted

Try an old line antibiotic called Monurol. It has been found to help prostatitis.

• Posted

I'm scared to take antibiotics - they've done me real harm, doxycycline last year and erythromycin many years ago

• Posted

Very sorry for what you are going through. I found a study on pumpkin seed oil. It was a four month study on the effects on the prostate. They had some positive results so I started taking it to see if it would help increase my urine flow. I didn't notice an improvement in my flow however I did receive an unexpected result when I noticed my Pelvic pain of several years went away. It took 3 months before the reduction in pain was noticeable but the results were real.

In the 4 month study, a combination of Saw palmetto and pumpkin seed oil took longer to achieve results (than just pumpkin seed oil alone) but the results were better so that is the combination I used.

• Posted

How big is your prostate and have you had a cystoscopy ?

Don’t let them prescribe Cipro or Fluoroquinolones as they can lead to greater problems.

• Posted

I've had a DRE couple of months back and the Consultant said that my prostate was not particularly enlarged "at around 40g and non tender". I've had an MRI and CT scan previously - which came up with nothing. I declined a cystoscopy - I didn't fancy it, I'm so sensitive down there and I'd been told by another medico that it can cause bad flares

I wouldn't consider antibiotics unless I had proof of a bacterial infection, and I wouldn't take doxy, erythromycin and any fluorquinolone antibiotic in any circumstances, I have had v bad experience with the first two and have heard the latter group are poison - banned and partially restricted by the EU, my acupuncturist said that her friend committed suicide after being prescribed them

• Posted

Don't know what I said that needed moderating

DRE apparently showed that it's around 40g and non tender

I've had CT and MRI scans - nothing untoward. Declined to have cystoscopy - I'm aware of the pitfalls of the meds you warn me against

• Posted

Cystoscopies nowadays with the flexible scopes are not painful and no after effects and are quickly over.

• Posted

Be sure to read the study. I think they took 4000mg. per day for 4 months. I have seen recommendations of 6000mg/day which is what I did (2000mg 3 times/day). Plus 325mg Saw palmento. Make sure it is really 100% pure pumpkin seed oil (cold press) as it is not cheap and I read some companies products are not high quality.Good luck.

• Posted

Be sure to read the study. I think they took 4000mg. per day for 4 months. I have seen recommendations of 6000mg/day which is what I did (2000mg 3 times/day). Plus 325mg Saw palmento. Make sure it is really 100% pure pumpkin seed oil (cold press) as it is not cheap and I read some companies products are not high quality.Good luck.

• Posted

Your diet ideas are good. They helped me. But the monurol cured me. I tried the Saw Palmetto which just made is worse. Another thing that helped was white buttom mushrooms. About a cup per day helped a lot.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply David

I just don't seem to tolerate antibiotics at all - and if I have a fungal infection as I strongly suspect I do antibiotics could make my symptoms much worse; I avoid mushrooms too as they are fungi

I suppose the thing is what we all suffer from is so broadly defined - under Pelvic pain - we are coming at this from different start points and angles; so what works for one could be very bad news for another

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.