Inflamed Prostate - can anything more be done?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've had this for a year now - losing hope. Finally diagnosed with Chronic Pelvic Pain/Chronic Non Bacterial Prostatitis - which is so wide it's almost meaningless

My symptoms are nasty inflamed sensations in scrotum - particularly on the right side; hot and fizzy urination - stream's not bad most of the time, and burning painful bowel movements which make the scrotal symptoms worse.

I got this after unfortunately taking 4 days of a prescribed antibiotic doxycycline - which had a terrible effect on my anus/rectum(seized it up so I had to have fecal infection treatment at A & E) - and even more unfortunately drinking beer some months after that; that's where the scrotal symptoms started.

I think my prostate is yeast infected brought on by the antibiotic and the beer. I've done a lot of research and have at last persuaded private Consultant to have a yeast test done to see if my semen is infected with fungus/bacteria - the urine tests have come up negative. I didn't fancy prostatic massage to produce fluid for a urine test, the Consultant tells me the semen test is equivalent and will "probably" indicate whether the prostate problem is fungal or not. I hope that's true.

Meanwhile I'm doing the diet - cutting out caffeine, dairy, alcohol, spicy, yeast sugar, gluten - though I can't help the odd lapse. I only took Naproxen for a bit, suspicious of it - and it did nothing anyway. Quercetin and saw palmetto doesn't seem to make any difference.

If this anything I've missed with can help me get this rotten horrible inflammation down at all? Doctors have been nigh on useless really

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have friends with prostatitis/BPH that had great success doing the Keto diet. Very low carb. The premise is surgar/carbs produce inflammation in the body. Reduce carbs = reduced inflammation. YMMV

• Posted

Thanks for that, I'll look again at keto - though I've cut down/cut out protein sources like red meat, eggs, dairy because suggested diets say I should, there's so much advice out there - some contradictory. I get confused

Hadn't encountered YMMV before - very true

• Posted

I can't speak first hand about keto helping BPH or prostatitis. I am presently doing keto so maybe I'll have first hand BPH knowledge FYI, keto is not high protien, its high healthy fats, very low (<20 grams/day)carbs. Most who do it find their blood work numbers drastically improve. Including cholesterol. But we're all different. I can tell you my A1C value was 6.5 March 2018. I started keto in March 2019. A1C is now 5.5. Cholesterol HDL, LDL, triglycerides all moved for the better. Achy knees have not improved though. Doing keto, is difficult at first. Check with your doctor to see what he think.

• Posted

Hi Ian

If you look up Hiprex it is a drug that acts to eliminate or suppress UTIs and can be taken long term as it is not an antibioticCould help Good luck

GREG

• Posted

To reduce the development of drug-resistant bacteria and maintain the effectiveness of Hiprex (methenamine hippurate tablets USP) and other antibacterial drugs, Hiprex should be used only to treat or prevent infections that are proven or strongly suspected to be caused by bacteria.

• Posted

Thanks for that Derek, there is no evidence of bacterial infection

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.